NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Pop noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 02:53 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pop noise ???

Has anybody heard a "pop noise" coming from the front drivers side after letting car sit for a few minutes and then restarting and after putting NX into drive and driving forward about 10 feet or so? It even does it after reverse for a few seconds and then into drive. I have tried starting out in a straight line and with wheel turned. My NX is an all-wheel-drive 2016.

Is it something in the transmission engaging? Sounds like some kind of vacuum value? Could it be a wheel axel inside the boot problem? Car drives perfect besides and shifts fine. It's my first Lexus so don't know it it's some kind of complicated engagement that my little engine goes through or maybe something is wrong. I have 1500 miles on the clock so far and has done it day one.

Any thoughts
Old 05-03-16, 03:54 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdmull
Has anybody heard a "pop noise" coming from the front drivers side after letting car sit for a few minutes and then restarting and after putting NX into drive and driving forward about 10 feet or so? It even does it after reverse for a few seconds and then into drive. I have tried starting out in a straight line and with wheel turned. My NX is an all-wheel-drive 2016.

Is it something in the transmission engaging? Sounds like some kind of vacuum value? Could it be a wheel axel inside the boot problem? Car drives perfect besides and shifts fine. It's my first Lexus so don't know it it's some kind of complicated engagement that my little engine goes through or maybe something is wrong. I have 1500 miles on the clock so far and has done it day one.

Any thoughts
Mine does this as well. I have 5000 km on it and it has done this ever since i took delivery. I start the car, put into drive, move about 10 feet and you hear the pop sound you describe. Wonder if this is normal. Does anyone else have the same issue?
Old 05-03-16, 04:06 PM
Joelinnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, had mine two days and have heard this. I think the sound comes from drivers rear area. I will try to pay a little more now that I know I'm not hearing things.
Old 05-04-16, 08:31 PM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On other forums after questions about noises similar to this the general consensus was that the sounds being heard are some sort of ABS braking system check. Don't know if it is true, or if the sound you are hearing is the same but that was the accepted cause by the majority.
Old 05-06-16, 06:38 PM
Supra4100
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine started doing it recently. The pop can actually be felt in the floorboard, like someone mildly hitting a ball peen hammer under the floor. When trying to recreate the scenerio, it seems to be related to applying the brakes. It's does it at low speeds, and fast when applying the brakes gradually increase foot pressure. It's going to the stealership in the morning. See if they understand what's happening, or give that standard " we just can't recreate what you're claiming" speech.

Mines has 6k miles on the ticker.
Old 05-08-16, 01:48 AM
warrior250
Driver School Candidate

Recently, I also hear a popping noise when slowly going down a parking structure ramp or hill. Brakes are applied. Took it to the dealer, but they said they couldn't reproduce the sound.

Is the noise related to the NX being front wheel drive? My NX has 6,000 miles.
Old 05-08-16, 03:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The pop noise is normal. To be clear, this is the one that occurs a few seconds after the first start and turn.

Other "popping" or "clicking" noise and feel that is also normal to a few Lexus and Toyota models is with the brakes. When reversing, you might hear or feel it and it's due to brake pad shift. Had this on many models including the RX, and currently the IS and NX.
Old 05-08-16, 07:15 AM
Supra4100
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The pop noise is normal. To be clear, this is the one that occurs a few seconds after the first start and turn.

Other "popping" or "clicking" noise and feel that is also normal to a few Lexus and Toyota models is with the brakes. When reversing, you might hear or feel it and it's due to brake pad shift. Had this on many models including the RX, and currently the IS and NX.
Mine started doing it recently. I associated it with a brake pad shift, but sometimes the audible pop is alarmingly loud and felt very distnctly in the floorboard. i figured maybe a the pad retainer may have lost some of its form, allowing the pad to float rearward, before applying the brakes. We'll see what they have to say. It's also in for smoke at startup after a cold soak. I haven't noticed any oil consumption, but it clearly puffs burnt oil, like valve stem seals are leaking.
Old 12-28-16, 04:09 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did anyone find an answer to this I'm experiencing the same thing on my ES and the dealerships don't seem sure. One suggested it could be the strut but it's a new car, never changed struts on a new car. another said brake pad shifting normal for some Lexuses....any answers yet?
Old 01-08-17, 11:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm positive that pop noise is normal. It was there from day 1, is consistent every time you first start the car and drive off a few seconds later, and my recent Audi A4 also did a similar noise every time. Owners on Audiworld said it was normal related to the ABS motor recycling the fluid and doing a check. I recall a similar answer from my SA for the NX a couple years back.

Enjoy your NX!
Old 01-10-17, 08:42 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is normal, it is described as a normal condition in the owner's manual.