NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What's your hand washing method for the NX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 03:06 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your hand washing method for the NX?

I did my first wash today and it's like I made it worse. Water spots everywhere. Admittedly I didn't dry it off by hand, just took it for a quick drive, but I did so on purpose so as not to do it the wrong way.

For the washing, I used a car wash soap and a microfiber wash mitt.

So what's the "right" way, and is there any method specific to the NX? Please recommend products.

Also interested in thoughts on waxing. How often and which product?
Old 04-24-16, 03:21 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I spent weeks reviewing you tube videos on how to wash car. Also reviewed this forum's threads on exterior maintenance. Drying is so easy with waffle micro fiber cloth from Amazon.
Autofiber Big Thirsty Microfiber Waffle Drying Towel 25"x36" (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WYKY9VK..._azuhxbR7JYQX3
Old 04-24-16, 05:13 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the 2 bucket wash method with a microfibre wash mitt. 1 bucket contains clean rinse water and the other bucket contains the car wash soap. I also have a grit guard in each bucket. Rinse the car off with water first, then start washing the car from a top down approach. Leave the bottom sections of the car for last since those are the dirtiest. For drying I just use a microfibre towel.

Try to get a car wash soap that is extra sudsy and foamy. It adds more lubrication and prevents scratches. And if you want, you can get those car wash soaps that also have wax in them. I usually use Mother's car wash soap and wax but there are also other good brands like Meguire's.

NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES. This will scratch your car and give it a lot of swirl marks. Touchless car washes are fine but they sometimes don't do a really good job at cleaning. Also, if you're going to go to the self-serve coin car washes...don't use the brushes on your paint because they will also cause scratches. When I go to the coin car washes, I only use the pressured water. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-16, 06:15 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

I agree with jdt..I start with the roof and Windows...rinse and dry, then move on the each of the sides, then the back and end at the front/hood. I just purchased the metro vacuum sidekick dryer, and loved the way I got a water spot free finish. I did use microfiber towels in addition. I love the finish of Liquid Glass Polish...
Old 04-24-16, 06:32 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

My NX has window sticker "perma plate". Not sure I paid for it, as the dealer wanted to sell me the warranty that goes with it, which I declined.
Can I apply Liquid Glass now, or should I wait a year until perma plate sorta wears off?
The paint is very smooth and glossy. Don't want to waste my strength and time if perma plate suffices for now.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-24-16, 06:33 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
I agree with jdt..I start with the roof and Windows...rinse and dry, then move on the each of the sides, then the back and end at the front/hood. I just purchased the metro vacuum sidekick dryer, and loved the way I got a water spot free finish. I did use microfiber towels in addition. I love the finish of Liquid Glass Polish...
I see the Liquid Glass Polish is highly reviewed. Is it actually a wax or a "polish" (whatever the difference is)?
Old 04-24-16, 07:52 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I see the Liquid Glass Polish is highly reviewed. Is it actually a wax or a "polish" (whatever the difference is)?

Neither, it has polymers in it which is synthetic and puts a sealant on the car. It is important that you make sure that's you don't have water marks, acid rain, bird dropping s etc or it will be sealed into the finish. I just purchased it through Amazon and tried a little on my rear quarter and it is truly amazing. They say after polishing out the entire car you need to leave it in the sun for 4 hours so it bakes into the finish and the more coats the wetter the look. Really outstanding polish. It puts a very hard clean finish on the paint.
Old 04-24-16, 08:23 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
Neither, it has polymers in it which is synthetic and puts a sealant on the car. It is important that you make sure that's you don't have water marks, acid rain, bird dropping s etc or it will be sealed into the finish. I just purchased it through Amazon and tried a little on my rear quarter and it is truly amazing. They say after polishing out the entire car you need to leave it in the sun for 4 hours so it bakes into the finish and the more coats the wetter the look. Really outstanding polish. It puts a very hard clean finish on the paint.
One thing I'm worried about is clear coat fading on the hood. Is regular polishing with this a substitute for a protection film?
Old 04-24-16, 11:00 PM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdt
I use the 2 bucket wash method with a microfibre wash mitt. 1 bucket contains clean rinse water and the other bucket contains the car wash soap. I also have a grit guard in each bucket. Rinse the car off with water first, then start washing the car from a top down approach. Leave the bottom sections of the car for last since those are the dirtiest. For drying I just use a microfibre towel.

Try to get a car wash soap that is extra sudsy and foamy. It adds more lubrication and prevents scratches. And if you want, you can get those car wash soaps that also have wax in them. I usually use Mother's car wash soap and wax but there are also other good brands like Meguire's.

NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES. This will scratch your car and give it a lot of swirl marks. Touchless car washes are fine but they sometimes don't do a really good job at cleaning. Also, if you're going to go to the self-serve coin car washes...don't use the brushes on your paint because they will also cause scratches. When I go to the coin car washes, I only use the pressured water. Hope this helps.
Mothers products are great, and I've used their waxes, spray waxes, & Showtime Instant Detailer for years.One day, my neighbor had me put my polymer wax on one side of my hood and he put Mothers Synthetic (polymer) Wax on the other. The rag just slid right off!! Mine didn't. I was sold on the spot. But if you think something may be better---I'll try it. Is this liquid glass something sold at auto parts places? Thanks for the washing tips, too.
Old 04-25-16, 11:59 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a foamer and a leaf blower for drying.
Old 04-26-16, 03:33 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use this method I found in the auto detailing forum on this site. Bought all the supplies and equipment needed and it works great. Never used the 3 bucket method before this.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/
Old 04-26-16, 10:00 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenK
I use this method I found in the auto detailing forum on this site. Bought all the supplies and equipment needed and it works great. Never used the 3 bucket method before this.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/
It's great getting all these ideas and extracting from them how you wash your car.

Thank you all.
Old 04-26-16, 05:07 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I use after regular hand wash very happy with it.

What's your hand washing method for the NX?-26639095975_db117ecb06_z.jpg
Old 04-27-16, 03:51 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

My dealer has free car washes each month.
Old 04-27-16, 08:08 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
My dealer has free car washes each month.
Would never let a dealer wash my car. Might as well take it through one of those automatic car washes with the brushes. In fact, I deliberately put signs on my car for dealers not to wash it whenever I take it to the dealership.

Quick Reply: What's your hand washing method for the NX?