NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX's Nooks and crannies, after washing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 01:56 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX's Nooks and crannies, after washing..

The NX has way more nooks and crannies than any English muffin....when washing it, especially the front grill on the f-sport which I have. I absolutely hate streaks, and found a brilliant and fairly inexpensive product to help with all that. . I posted about leaf blowers to dry a week or so ago, which was a new concept to me. On Amazon, they have a small handheld dryer for cars/motorcycles that I purchased and thought I'd share how well it worked. It is the Metro vacuum Air Force blaster side kick($75.00) and I purchased the 3 foot hose as well($16.00). I added a strap to the handle, and it hung off my shoulder so I didn't have to hold it while drying.
I washed my car,which I treated with liquid glass 2 weeks ago, and started drying first using an electric leaf blower. That was heavy and awkward. So I then switched to the metro. The water sheeted off, not super fast, but I didn't need a lot of towel drying afterward. Where it was the shinning star, was around the door handles, trim, wheels, and the front grill. It blew all trapped water out, so no dripping water coming out of crevices. The little dryer also slightly heats the air it's blowing out and drying the water even more. I am really pleased with this little unit...and its price point.
Old 04-25-16, 03:47 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

It is quieter than our electric leaf blower..and smaller.
Old 04-27-16, 06:01 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
The NX has way more nooks and crannies than any English muffin....when washing it, especially the front grill on the f-sport which I have. I absolutely hate streaks, and found a brilliant and fairly inexpensive product to help with all that. . I posted about leaf blowers to dry a week or so ago, which was a new concept to me. On Amazon, they have a small handheld dryer for cars/motorcycles that I purchased and thought I'd share how well it worked. It is the Metro vacuum Air Force blaster side kick($75.00) and I purchased the 3 foot hose as well($16.00). I added a strap to the handle, and it hung off my shoulder so I didn't have to hold it while drying.
I washed my car,which I treated with liquid glass 2 weeks ago, and started drying first using an electric leaf blower. That was heavy and awkward. So I then switched to the metro. The water sheeted off, not super fast, but I didn't need a lot of towel drying afterward. Where it was the shinning star, was around the door handles, trim, wheels, and the front grill. It blew all trapped water out, so no dripping water coming out of crevices. The little dryer also slightly heats the air it's blowing out and drying the water even more. I am really pleased with this little unit...and its price point.
NX's Nooks and crannies, after washing..-image_89790e38db7ea1e799a7270235e21880066bf77e.jpeg
That is a good choice! Not just NX but other Lexus vehicles.

I have this Metro Blaster Sidekick for a couple of years. As you said, it really helps blowing the "parts" of the car where cloth won't reach. Many years ago, the 3 foot hose and the strap were not an option. Recently I bought the 3foot hose but save the strap as I have some spare one at home. It helps the usability.

The warm air is also filtered and so it is much better than a regular leaf blower.

Things that I don't like the the Metro Blaster Sickkick is the craftsmanship ---- the black finish on the unit is not of great quality. When bought new, you can see swirls out of the box and the clear coat is thin. Another thing which is even of a concern is the plastic clip that holds the power cord to the unit is loose at time. Quite often, during the drying process, I have to check it is loose or not. Once it is loose, you will see air leaking from the hole. One remedy is to make the diameter of the plastic clip a bit bigger by covering the plastic clip with a thin electrical tape but it is not a permanent fix. Although it is made in USA, I have to say it is a shame as I have seen other US-made products which are of much better quality.

Still, the performance of Metro sidekick is superb and there seems to be nothing compare to it in its class.

Last edited by AndyL; 04-27-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 06:26 AM
Fyrcat
Rookie

The strap is just something I had laying around..it is not an option for the sidekick. I will look at the connection point of the power cord, I didn't see any problem while I used it the other day.
Old 04-27-16, 08:20 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
The strap is just something I had laying around..it is not an option for the sidekick. I will look at the connection point of the power cord, I didn't see any problem while I used it the other day.
Maybe they have improved the connection point of the power cord. The SideKick that I bought was 7 years ago.

For the strap, the one they offer is nothing special in the sense that the strap does not attach to any parts of the Sidekick except looping around their handle. I find no justification to get theirs.
Old 05-09-16, 04:30 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Drying the nooks and crannies is one thing, but as I learned today it's damn near impossible to get dirt and bugs out of them sometimes. I used the hardest setting on a garden hose and that didn't work. I don't want to try a pressure washer yet. It's the scoops where the fogs and headlamps are that are the worst.
Old 05-09-16, 07:03 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
Drying the nooks and crannies is one thing, but as I learned today it's damn near impossible to get dirt and bugs out of them sometimes. I used the hardest setting on a garden hose and that didn't work. I don't want to try a pressure washer yet. It's the scoops where the fogs and headlamps are that are the worst.
Agree that it is a challenge to clean front bumper and the front grill of the latest Lexus vehicles in general. It is very demanding and only customers with good car detailing skills and experience can achieve show cars condition after a car wash.

Maybe using detailing brushes with soft bristle such as the RaceGlaze ones during hand car wash would do? Also you may also use pressure washer (I would just use something below 1700 PSI).
Old 05-11-16, 12:17 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I agree. All of my previous cars don't have as many 'nooks & crannies' COMBINED as my beloved NX200t has. The Sport would have driven me even crazier. The engineers must still be laughin' as to how many difficult folds and deep corners they could squeeze into one front end (lol).

I just sit on the floor and do my best to try and clean and wax as much as I can get to.
Old 05-27-16, 11:52 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

first time washed the NX using the recommended blower from frycat/amazon. Cut drying time in half. What a magnificent device--blows water out of every seem and crevice. And the F Sports grill--fantastic.
I dried the car first, then went back with blower; then minor touch up with different fiber cloth.
The hose attachment is a must!
Another handy device i got was a wheel nut brush which fits into small power drill. -- Griot's Garage 15596 Drill Operated Lug Nut Cleaning Brush
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$13.99