NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Area above CD player

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 09:52 AM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Area above CD player

I just discovered a small little cubby right above the CD player in my F-sport ....does anyone know what that might be for? Or what do you use it for?
Old 04-23-16, 10:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Cell phone holder, pens, business cards, etc.

But, if you put your phone there, careful accelerating quickly. It has fallen off in my case and scratched the interior silver console trim.
Old 04-23-16, 12:50 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

I find it utterly useless. It can't safely hold a phone and it's too small to be digging around in for a pen. If the gear shift area wasn't angled up, they could've made that space bigger. And they didn't insist on the spindle shape inside too, they could've added side storage also for pens, key fobs, etc.

The center stack utilizes space poorly in general. For something so bulky they somehow managed to include virtually no storage space, no power, no USB. And don't get me started on the "sunglasses holder". The console is my only problem with the car.

Last edited by lexusbexus; 04-23-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 03:40 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dealer told me NX was first interior designed by a woman. Hence the mirror.
Not sure how true.
Ink pen stays fine on the unused QI charger.
Cell phone is in pocket now since text comes via screen.
Other supplies fit fine in space below charger.
I do have usb charging cable hanging out of armrest cover connected to lighter adaptor.
I saw lots of posts where the usb may not charge phone, and I don't want to connect usb while on Bluetooth.
Old 04-23-16, 05:24 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
Dealer told me NX was first interior designed by a woman. Hence the mirror.
Not sure how true.
Ink pen stays fine on the unused QI charger.
Cell phone is in pocket now since text comes via screen.
Other supplies fit fine in space below charger.
I do have usb charging cable hanging out of armrest cover connected to lighter adaptor.
I saw lots of posts where the usb may not charge phone, and I don't want to connect usb while on Bluetooth.
I read that it was a man designer. I think the NX has a very nice interior. Everyone that has been in my car loved the interior. I think the seats are firm and hug your body similitude to Ricardo seats. The leather is of goo quality and the dash is lauded out very nicely. This is my opinion of course but I respect if some other owners think differently. That's what makes the world go round.

By the way, my only issue with the interior is that it could have used a little more headroom for the over 6 footers. This is the back seats of course.
Old 04-23-16, 09:22 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep pens in there mostly. I have no idea why they made it there, but I do know where my pen is.

Last edited by JayRo354; 04-23-16 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-23-16, 11:16 PM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I find it utterly useless. It can't safely hold a phone and it's too small to be digging around in for a pen. If the gear shift area wasn't angled up, they could've made that space bigger. And they didn't insist on the spindle shape inside too, they could've added side storage also for pens, key fobs, etc.

The center stack utilizes space poorly in general. For something so bulky they somehow managed to include virtually no storage space, no power, no USB. And don't get me started on the "sunglasses holder". The console is my only problem with the car.
Couldn't agree more. The Charging Station can't be safely removed per the dealer because of the remaining exposed wiring. Someone here has to know how to do it, though.....please. It's wasted space below it----can't fit CD's or other useful things, since you can't close the lid.

The space below the detatchable mirror won't fit sunglasses----its intended purpose, because the length/width is too short. Didn't any engineers try it out first? Obviously not. I miss the overhead sunglass compartment almost every car I've ever owned had (last 30 yrs).

These are minor inconveniences, however. Of course we want our cars to be just right and these things I try to overlook when comparing it to the rest of this beautiful automobile.
Old 04-24-16, 03:16 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
I just discovered a small little cubby right above the CD player in my F-sport ....does anyone know what that might be for? Or what do you use it for?
I place the receipts for gas, etc in the cubby until I get home. I've tried the phone but it fell out while accelerating.
Old 04-27-16, 03:55 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXNick
Couldn't agree more. The Charging Station can't be safely removed per the dealer because of the remaining exposed wiring. Someone here has to know how to do it, though.....please. It's wasted space below it----can't fit CD's or other useful things, since you can't close the lid.
Someone on this forum did remove it fine, try searching the threads. I know I've read it before on here.

The space below the detatchable mirror won't fit sunglasses----its intended purpose, because the length/width is too short. Didn't any engineers try it out first? Obviously not. I miss the overhead sunglass compartment almost every car I've ever owned had (last 30 yrs).
My Toyota's have that overhead compartment, but my Subarus and Honda's don't. It doesn't seem like a standard thing on cars (well, one's that I've owned at least.

The reason why it's missing is because to fit the moonroof controls regardless if it's optioned up or not.

And FWIW, my sunglasses do fit in that area. I can see really big bulky fashionable ones not fitting, but my normal sized ones with thin frames do fit fine. Bt it is a hassle to get out so I don't use it.
Old 04-27-16, 05:18 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
... And FWIW, my sunglasses do fit in that area. I can see really big bulky fashionable ones not fitting, but my normal sized ones with thin frames do fit fine. But it is a hassle to get out so I don't use it.
My aviator style sun glasses fit and stay put just fine. I have always assumed that the stowage slot is intended for sun glasses. Works for me.
Old 04-28-16, 11:32 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I use it for my mobile phone. With the anti-skid pad, it has never fallen out. ����
Old 04-29-16, 01:12 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Someone on this forum did remove it fine, try searching the threads. I know I've read it before on here.

My Toyota's have that overhead compartment, but my Subarus and Honda's don't. It doesn't seem like a standard thing on cars (well, one's that I've owned at least.

The reason why it's missing is because to fit the moonroof controls regardless if it's optioned up or not.

And FWIW, my sunglasses do fit in that area. I can see really big bulky fashionable ones not fitting, but my normal sized ones with thin frames do fit fine. Bt it is a hassle to get out so I don't use it.
My 2011 Rav4 Limited had a Moonroof, the controls & the sunglass compartment that held 3 pairs. Guess it depended on the engineers' choice to put it in specific cars or not. The dealer said they couldn't take out the charging station. Sorry I missed that thread. Am anxious to see how. Thanks!!

Last edited by NXNick; 04-29-16 at 01:16 AM. Reason: To finish response.
Old 04-29-16, 01:23 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koetsu
My aviator style sun glasses fit and stay put just fine. I have always assumed that the stowage slot is intended for sun glasses. Works for me.
That slot fits my sunglasses too, and they also don't fall out.
Old 04-30-16, 06:35 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree - no problem fitting my aviator-style glasses in the "pocket" under the detachable mirror. And actually very easy to put them in/take them out!

Best,
dCota
Old 04-30-16, 06:42 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXNick
The dealer said they couldn't take out the charging station. Sorry I missed that thread. Am anxious to see how. Thanks!!
The thread is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...charger-3.html

Quick Reply: Area above CD player