NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My Week With an NX200t Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 12:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default My Week With an NX200t Loaner

My new GS was out of commission for a week, during which time I was provided with an NX200t AWD loaner. It was a fairly base unit (not F Sport or Luxury), in red with the black interior. It was still fairly well equipped, with the upgraded LED running lights (the ones where the "hook" is illuminated), heated/ventilated seats, parking assist, BSM, etc. I thought I'd share my thoughts with you all, as I've found the NX to be quite intriguing and with our RX lease end coming, my wife has asked if an NX would suit us.

First I'll get the negatives out of the way:

- Cargo capacity. It was a lot smaller/shallower than I had expected - much smaller than the RX.
- Noticeable torque steer.
- Noisy power hatch (more of an observation than a real negative).

On to the positives:

- The looks. Very sharp appearance. I noticed it gets a lot of looks.
- Passenger comfort. Plenty of room and very comfortable seats, even in the rear.
- Power. There is some fun, useable torque out of that 2.0t! I had a blast with it!
- Handling. I have no complaints with the handling of our RX, as its primary mission is that of a family vehicle, but the NX was loads more fun. I could take corners much faster and more confidently in the NX than I would ever try in our RX.
- Touchpad. I know there are lots of opinions on the touchpad, but I found it to be very easy and quicker to use than the traditional RTI that my RX and GS (and previous IS) have.
- Auto parking brake. My GS has this and I really like it.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with the NX and definitely get the appeal. Unfortunately I don't think it will work for us because of the cargo capacity, but if we didn't need more room we'd definitely consider it. Great fun!

Old 03-18-16, 09:19 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

What year is your RX?

I had a 2nd Gen RX, myself.
Old 03-18-16, 11:26 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It was still fairly well equipped, with the upgraded LED running lights (the ones where the "hook" is illuminated), heated/ventilated seats, parking assist, BSM, etc.
The standard NX in Australia is pretty well equipped. As I posted in another thread, it includes:
- cruise control
- drive mode select
- rear view camera
- front + rear parking sensors
- satellite navigation
- 10-speaker Audio System
- digital Radio
- heated front seats
- 4-way powered steering column adjustment
- powered tailgate
- rain-sensing wipers
- "premium" DRL

However, I am not aware the base model has ventilated seats and BSM. I can see you have the base model as you only have the standard projectors and not the triple-beam LED like on the F Sport and Sport Luxury models. If you do have BSM and ventilated seats, that's strange

- Noisy power hatch (more of an observation than a real negative).
I didn't know it was loud and slow until I used other cars electric tailgates. I don't care that it's loud, I don't really like how it's so slow.

- The looks. Very sharp appearance. I noticed it gets a lot of looks.
I have the black one, so it's not really flashing like you're red one. I do like the silver titanium one though - I've seen a few on the streets and I keep starting at them!

- Power. There is some fun, useable torque out of that 2.0t! I had a blast with it!
I've never driven the 200t. I have the 300h. The 300h is NOT slow as others suggests, with the combined with the electric motor, the 300h really does push the whole car in Sports+ mode.

- Handling. I have no complaints with the handling of our RX, as its primary mission is that of a family vehicle, but the NX was loads more fun. I could take corners much faster and more confidently in the NX than I would ever try in our RX.
I still haven't taken my NX fast around a corner. I'm too afraid that it will flip over. I am confident in doing in my Civic hatch though!

However, my passengers did comment on ow smooth the ride on the NX is, although I was in "NORMAL" mode. In Sports+ mode, the NX breaks my back
Old 03-19-16, 06:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NXOwner
What year is your RX?

I had a 2nd Gen RX, myself.
My RX is a 13 with about 25k miles on it now. We've thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 03-19-16, 06:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
However, I am not aware the base model has ventilated seats and BSM. I can see you have the base model as you only have the standard projectors and not the triple-beam LED like on the F Sport and Sport Luxury models. If you do have BSM and ventilated seats, that's strange
Judging from the models they had on the lot at my dealer, it's a pretty common configuration here.
Old 03-19-16, 07:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the impressions JDR76. I went from a '13 RX to the NX and we've managed. Not sure if you saw this here and here, but the NX can still hold a respectable 28 cu ft, but if you have young kids or pets with bulky items, the NX can be tight even if it's just a couple inches shy than the RX in its dimensions.
Old 03-19-16, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately the NX can't manage with our double jogging stroller and gear, but perhaps in a few years we can consider it again.
Old 03-20-16, 01:07 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Judging from the models they had on the lot at my dealer, it's a pretty common configuration here.
BSM and ventilated seats are not an option on the base model AFAIK. The base model only can be added with two enhancement packs which are:

Pack 1:
- moonroof

Pack 2:
- moonroof
- pre-collision safety system
- radar active cruise control

On the spec list, ventilated seats and BSM are only available if you step up to the next trim, which is the F-Sport.
Old 03-20-16, 04:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure if you're trying to say my loaner didn't have the options I'm saying it did?

It was a base model. Add the premium package for heated/ventilated seats, moonroof, split 5 spoke wheels, and the enhanced LED lights for $2890. Add navigation package for $1875. BSM is a stand alone option for $660, and parking assist for $500 and you pretty much have my loaner. Again, a very common combination here.

The configurations/packages in Australia are not the same as the US.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-20-16 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 04:51 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I'm not sure if you're trying to say my loaner didn't have the options I'm saying it did?

The configurations/packages in Australia are not the same as the US.
Sorry I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I saw your location as "WA" and I thought you were from Western Australia.
Old 03-20-16, 04:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Now that makes more sense.

Seattle, Washington
Old 03-20-16, 11:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's a good little summary there. Those negatives are hardly worth mentioning to me.

We are possibly looking at picking one up later in the year, F sport though, so I've been following all of these topics.
Old 03-20-16, 11:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I know, right? To be honest, I had to search a bit to find some negatives to try to somewhat balance out the review!

I love the NX and would be very, very happy to own one.
Old 03-20-16, 03:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Our NX is the same color as your loaner JDR76 and so far we are really liking it. Much better size for my wife and I, although my father-in-law's walker only barely fits in the back so definitely tighter.

We came from the same model RX as you have so I appreciate your comparison. I don't mind the fact that the ride is a bit bouncier (a byproduct of the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase) but I do wish they put more sound deadening in the firewall. I actually hear the engine more than I did in the Prius and while I can live with that, it just isn't what I have come to expect from a Lexus vehicle. I prefer the quiet serenity of the RX. This car seems to track more closely with the Rav 4, whereas the RX is a quite different from its base Highlander, IMHO.

It is too bad they didn't go to as much effort to make the interior quiet. No double door seals like the RX, no dual pane side glass and less insulation from engine noise. I wonder if the issue is a market decision to keep the costs/luxury down so it doesn't compete with the RX? Anyway, these differences obviously weren't great enough to dissuade us from moving down from the RX. We purchased knowing full well it was a very different car so I'm not complaining, just stating one of my early observations.
Old 03-21-16, 01:59 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ward6096
It is too bad they didn't go to as much effort to make the interior quiet. No double door seals like the RX, no dual pane side glass and less insulation from engine noise. I wonder if the issue is a market decision to keep the costs/luxury down so it doesn't compete with the RX? Anyway, these differences obviously weren't great enough to dissuade us from moving down from the RX. We purchased knowing full well it was a very different car so I'm not complaining, just stating one of my early observations.
I also noticed that the RX has a felt lined boot, something that the NX doesn't have. The felt makes the RX feel much more upmarket.

Quick Reply: My Week With an NX200t Loaner