NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

💡 DIY: Mount Front License Plate w/o Drilling 🔧

Old 03-12-16, 08:57 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 💡 DIY: Mount Front License Plate w/o Drilling 🔧

DIY Mount Front License Plate without Drilling

Here's how I installed my front license plate using the Lexus OEM front license plate mount without drilling holes into my bumper.

The Lexus OEM mount requires two holes to be drilled into your front bumper. Not wanting to drill holes, I used a black 14" (35.5 cm) zip tie--aka cable tie.

Update! No longer do you need thin arms to get in there and install the zip tie. At the time when I originally installed my plate mount, I didn't know how to remove the panel rivets and I didn't want to break any. Since then, I discovered how to easily remove the rivets. Here's how ...

This access hole is how you will get in to tighten the zip tie. Your arm must be able to fit far enough in the hole to reach the level of the mount. Otherwise, you could remove the whole flat cover for full access—it is secured by snap rivets (I believe).

Here you can see the already attached zip tie.

This is a view of the inside of the access hole.

Here is the installed mount. Tip: Before tightening the zip tie, be sure to push the mount until you hear it snap into place on the grill bar.

The final product! I'm using a tinted aerodynamic crowned protective cover over the plate to make it blend better with the color of my NX.

Last edited by NXOwner; 06-27-16 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 06:57 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

That looks pretty good, but you need pretty thin arms. I did a sort of test fit myself last night and it was pretty snug to get my arms down there to release the clips once I was done verifying how it would fit.

Here is my question though, it looks like it would vibrate there if it were only secured by a zip-tie. It seems that would mar the finish so much that we wouldn't ever really want to remove it or we would expose that finish damage. It just seems like wind is going to buffet that around quite a bit on the front of the car at highway speeds.

Frankly, I don't mind the look of the plate anyway. The standard NX grill has a bit of an overbite look (F-Sport grill is much more attractive) and the plate softens that look just a bit - or maybe it distracts the eye. Not sure which, but I don't mind the look with the plate. Our clear bra is to be applied on Wednesday so my motivation for leaving the plate off at this point was just to keep it out of the way for the installers.

Anyway, your solution looks good and would be easy to implement for anyone that wishes to avoid drilling the mounting holes. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by TechNut; 03-13-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 12:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Like to Program?

Nice DIY - thanks for posting. Added to the FAQ/DIY
Old 03-13-16, 01:18 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Ward6096
That looks pretty good, but you need pretty thin arms.
Thanks! ...and yes, the thinner, the better. 💪🏻

... it looks like it would vibrate there if it were only secured by a zip-tie.
It's a really snug fit. The zip tie is as tight as possible without breaking anything. That—coupled with the fact that the mount has two snaps (to the grill bar) as well as a contoured fit around the facia—creates a rattle-free, stable mount, even at speed.

It just seams like wind is going to buffet that around quite a bit on the front of the car at highway speeds.
The dome-shaped plate cover isn't that pronounced so there has been no discernible aerodynamic turbulence (buffet).
Old 03-13-16, 01:24 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Like to Program?
Yes. Good eye! 👁 I've had those plates for 20+ years. I'm a software engineer (retired from Microsoft after 10 years).

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice DIY - thanks for posting. Added to the FAQ/DIY
Sweet! Thanks! 👍
Old 03-15-16, 11:10 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Yes. Good eye! 👁 I've had those plates for 20+ years. I'm a software engineer (retired from Microsoft after 10 years).
In fact, if you look to the left at my avatar, it's the same plate that I had on my old Millenium Silver RX 330.
Old 06-18-16, 05:56 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Here's a closer look at the front license plate.

Old 06-27-16, 12:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

That looks pretty good, but you need pretty thin arms. I did a sort of test fit myself last night and it was pretty snug to get my arms down there to release the clips once I was done verifying how it would fit.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Thanks! ...and yes, the thinner, the better. ����
Update! No longer do you need thin arms to get in there and install the zip tie. At the time when I originally installed my plate mount, I didn't know how to remove the panel rivets and I didn't want to break any. Since then, I discovered how to easily remove the rivets. Here's how ...

Step 1: Open the hood to access the panel/cover above the radiator/grill area

Step 2: Locate the plastic reusable rivets on the panel/cover (10 rivets)

I used one of my trim tools, but a regular screwdriver suffices. Simply lift the head of the rivet (not the outer ring). If my memory serves me correctly, there are ten of these to be removed.

Step 3: Remove the plastic rivets

Once the rivet head is lifted, use your fingers and pull the whole rivet out, ring and all.

Step 4: Remove the panel and set it and the rivets aside

Step 5: When you finish with the license plate mount, simply place the cover back on and snap each rivet back into each of their holes. That's it! ����

Last edited by NXOwner; 06-27-16 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fredw1 (01-02-20)