NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Pull To the Right

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 01:52 PM
nimatode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Pull To the Right

I have bought the new Lexus NX 200t, and it ALWAYS pulls to the right whenever even the slightest gas is applied to the engine. I went to the dealership and they have checked the alignment! but the alignment is fine and they were trying to convince me that this is normal!!!!! I asked them if its normal put this quote in their car's specification, "Pull to the right if you press the gas" amazing, hah! The problem is the torque is not evenly distributed among all the wheels. I still have the problem. Also the technician agrees with me. I just drive test another Nx model as well, and surprisingly the other one has also the same issue but slightly better than mine! please be aware when buying this model! I am not happy with the car, and the Lexus policy.
Old 03-10-16, 02:01 PM
skabei
Driver

Is your NX FWD? What you describe sounds like torque steer, albeit, severe torque steer if the technician feels the same way as you.

It will still happen on AWD models but less so.
Old 03-10-16, 03:29 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've read the same issue on a similar thread here, I believe it is due to the torque steer as mentioned above. I never experienced it on mine (FWD), but I drive like a grandma.
Old 03-10-16, 04:24 PM
nimatode
Driver School Candidate

Its AWD and what should I do?
Old 03-11-16, 03:43 AM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So without applying any gas it cruises straight?
Old 03-11-16, 03:55 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Lexus did a poor job dealing with torque steer. Other brands, Ford for example use equal length half shafts and suspension tuning to keep torque steer under control on cars like the Focus ST. Others use computer controlled electric steering assist to mask it. But really it's not that bad in the NX unless you give it throttle while turning. Try turning off the traction control. A little wheel spin is not big deal and should make the torque steer less noticeable. I have found the torque steer pretty minimal on the NX, but I guess that's one area where it shows it's Rav4 heritage
Old 03-11-16, 05:08 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nimatode
You are only partially right. It is AWD, but its AWD with a SEVERE FWD bias. So you will suffer from torque steer like every other FWD car.
Old 03-11-16, 05:16 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Yea, the NX is a front wheel drive vehicle that will engage the rear wheels after slippage is detected. This is different then something like a Subaru which is full time AWD. Even in the air, all 4 wheels get power, nearly 50/50. Full time AWD eliminates torque steer, even with 400+ HP it's not a problem
Old 03-11-16, 01:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by nimatode
If the issue is torque steer, the best thing to do is develop a technique to modulate throttle input which will reduce the torque steer. It will always be there, but the technique will become second nature and you won't think about it much.
Old 03-12-16, 08:23 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's torque steer. Press the differential lock button left of steering wheel and try taking off aggressively and theres no torque steer. Unfortunately it disengages at 25mph.
Old 06-29-16, 04:44 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdwg22
It's torque steer. Press the differential lock button left of steering wheel and try taking off aggressively and theres no torque steer. Unfortunately it disengages at 25mph.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to try this.
Old 07-01-16, 03:28 PM
ramyta
Rookie

I don't feel it on mine at all and sometimes I drive aggressive. AWD F Sport 2015 ..... If you don't feel it much on other NX you test drive, I would say to use Lemon Law and got your NX replaced.
Old 07-22-16, 08:50 PM
Doritos46
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering if other NX drivers feel this pull to the right also. I am a new owner of the FWD NX 2016 and have taken it to the dealer twice for the same problem of pulling to the right. The alignment has decreased the pull to the right but it hasn't taken it completely away. Now today while getting my 2nd alignment done, I noticed the loaner has the same issue when driving. Not immediately does it "drift" to the right but it will do it in less than 10 seconds maintaining the same speed. (driving on an even road). And I also don't drive aggressively either.

So is this all an issue with torque steer? A problem with Lexus engineering? Every NX driver will experience this? How do you tell the difference between torque steer and your car being off alignment?
Old 07-22-16, 09:30 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

No noticeable pull (to either side) on mine.

What version and what options does your (and the loaner's) NX have?
Old 07-22-16, 09:40 PM
Doritos46
Driver School Candidate

NX 2016 base FWD

Loaner same NX 2016 base FWD

Quick Reply: Pull To the Right