NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Project Kara (My Supergirl)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 12:30 AM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Project Kara (My Supergirl)

I've been a member of Club Lexus for quite some time now. I had an '08 MRM IS350, '14 UW/Rioja IS250 F-Sport (traded in after 6months lol), '14 SB/Cabernet GS350 F-Sport. All of them were nicely modded and the newly acquired NX won't be any different. As soon as I saw the NX when they first came out, I knew it was an interesting platform and has a lot of potential. I'm glad that the market for modifications for this car has been getting popular. TBH, I'm not a big fan of the engine, but I guess we don't really have a choice (for now lol).
Anyways, December last year, I've commited myself on getting one but ONLY for the color combo I wanted. So I started buying and ordering parts. So finally on the last week of February, I found the color combo I want and it happened to be at the closest dealership to my house. March 2 I decided to check it out as I was afraid that somebody else might get it before I do. To my surprise, the car was sitting right at the showroom and I was relieved that it was still available. I knew I wasn't going home without the car, so even though I still have all the mods installed on my GS, I traded it in (I'm bringing them the oem parts and taking back my aftermarket stuff).

So here it is on March 2 right at the showroom, 2016 USB/Rioja F-Sport with almost all the options including the very important triple LED headlights.

And this is March 3 getting the Apexi N1 catback installed.

According to Apexi I'm the first customer to purchase one as I took delivery on Feb. 3.
Just a quick review, the exhaust is pretty loud, it's a nice deep sound though unlike other 4 cylinders out there with aftermarket exhaust. I love the sound but I can imagine it being kinda annoying for passengers who are really not into exhaust as the drone inside the car is pretty obvious.

I have some more mods waiting to be installed when I get the chance so stay tuned.

FYI, I'm not in competition with anybody and I know a lot of people will not approve of the things I'll do to the car, but this is what I love doing. I just can't leave a car alone lol. I buy a car based on what I can do to it, to make it look different than everyone else's.
Thank you for looking
Old 03-06-16, 05:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

That's a beautiful color combo. I would have never thought of putting that combination together. I can certainly see why they had it on the showroom floor. I'll bet it was a real "attention getter".

Congrats and have fun with your mods.
Old 03-06-16, 05:41 AM
Kenster
Driver School Candidate

Please post a video with the exhaust installed. Reading about the exhaust system the DBs at 4500rpm is about 87. That's not bad unless the resonance transfers into the cabin.

At one point I was going to buy an Audi A5 2.0. Someone has made a exhaust system which had a nice burble at idle and a nice V8 sound under hard acceleration.
Old 03-06-16, 07:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Congrats on your NX and welcome to this forum. I agree, stick to what you love doing.
Old 03-06-16, 01:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If its functional both aurally and maybe for performance I`d consider it. But in my experience 4 pot turbos lack the proper grunt that adding an exhaust can expose
Old 03-06-16, 02:25 PM
Speedblade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look forward to all the mods! Congrats on the new purchase
Old 03-07-16, 02:41 AM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

thank you guys...as far as the exhaust go, I will try to make a video. but for now, I must say that the exhaust is pretty loud especially at cold start, and them mellows down. I've driven a CLA45 AMG many times, and even though that engine is a lot more powerful than our engines, I dont like the exhaust sound of that car. You can definitely tell it's a 4 cylinder. The Apexi for the NX on the other hand has a deep rumble sound. It's a real nice sound, my only complain would be the drone inside the cabin, if only I could eliminate that somehow, it'll be perfect.
Old 03-07-16, 07:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UtoyZ
thank you guys...as far as the exhaust go, I will try to make a video. but for now, I must say that the exhaust is pretty loud especially at cold start, and them mellows down. I've driven a CLA45 AMG many times, and even though that engine is a lot more powerful than our engines, I dont like the exhaust sound of that car. You can definitely tell it's a 4 cylinder. The Apexi for the NX on the other hand has a deep rumble sound. It's a real nice sound, my only complain would be the drone inside the cabin, if only I could eliminate that somehow, it'll be perfect.
Your drone can be easily removed by installing sound proofing between the body and the exhaust. Or you can pull up the floorboard and install it there. That exhaust turned out to be sharp, if I was keeping the NX I would have bought one for sure.

Also, if you're not interested in sound proofing, you can also consider putting your stock midpipe back in. If you do that, you can keep the apexi back half, keep the look, keep some of the noise as well. that might solve all your problems.

Last edited by Swacer; 03-07-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 01:02 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Your drone can be easily removed by installing sound proofing between the body and the exhaust. Or you can pull up the floorboard and install it there. That exhaust turned out to be sharp, if I was keeping the NX I would have bought one for sure.

Also, if you're not interested in sound proofing, you can also consider putting your stock midpipe back in. If you do that, you can keep the apexi back half, keep the look, keep some of the noise as well. that might solve all your problems.
I will definitely look into the sound proofing.
As far as putting the stock midpipes back, that is not possible with this exhaust system design. The muffler part of this exhaust has a different length on the pipes therefore it wouldn't bolt up to the stock midpipes. Apexi would be releasing a axle back later on though, that you use the stock midpipes.
Old 03-07-16, 06:53 PM
Glenn6one9
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

💙💙💙can't wait to see what you have in store, for her👍
Old 03-08-16, 04:05 PM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not a fan but congrats !!
Old 03-09-16, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's a different approach for the NX.

Too bad the midpipe has to be taken out. I heard an S63amg on the street without the midpipes and it's loud

Subscribed to see what else you got coming

BTW, I like how she's also called Kiera
Old 03-09-16, 04:19 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

^ ^ haha good one.

btw thank you guys for all the compliments and the support.

so I have a slight progress today, I got the tires installed on my wheels. for those who don't know, I've had these wheels on my 4GS with of course lower profile tires. since I love these wheels so much I decided to keep em for the NX and just use fatter tires. I went with Falkens 275/40/20 on Advan Racing Premium GT 20x10 all around. IMO 21s look best for the NX but 21s are rare and tires are super expensive so I'll stick with the 20s.

I was supposed to get the coilovers installed but I got too lazy so I'll try tomorrow.
Old 03-09-16, 04:22 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, can't wait to see them mounted on the NX.
Old 03-09-16, 04:59 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

😍 I'm in love my brother and the best part is I get to see it in front of my face with the progress.....can't wait for the final step

Quick Reply: Project Kara (My Supergirl)