NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Turbo Maintenance 101, 102, 103....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 01:57 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it has something to do with Lexus opting to use an air to liquid intercooler, vs. the traditional air to air. Maybe they want you to idle for a minute or two before you shut it off to allow the intercooler to cool the turbo and itself sufficiently before you do heat damage? Hopefully someone with the tech knowledge will chime in here.
Old 03-02-16, 02:53 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just researching on this a little more. Apparently, not all turbos need to be cooled down...A friends VW Golf GTI is equipped with an intelligent turbo cooling system that a) keeps the oil pumping once the ignition is turned off therefore cooling the turbo down or b) is water cooled which essentially does the same thing after you switch the ignition.

Can't vouch for the veracity of the information above, but after skimming through the user manual of a 2014 Golf GTI, there is no mention of a turbo cool down.

Like others, I think the Lexus Dealership would have mentioned the cool down had this been a critical requirement.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-16, 04:09 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, remember this: The NX is the very first mass produced Lex to get a turbo. The last time Toyota had a turbo (internationally at least, not sure of JDM) was on the Supra. So with the NX being a brand spanking new model, they might not have enough data or training on the subject yet. I'm almost certain it's because of the Intercooler now. If it was using air to air like the VW, I don't think the manual would mention it. But because of the liquid cooling, it probably has something to do with that. This was the article I found mentioning it. I'm no engineer, so IDK. I suspect that as the NX gets many more miles and years under its belt, along with the new IS-t, we'll probably be hearing more about it. That's my take on it
http://blogs.youwheel.com/2014/08/25...utput-version/

*We also have a 2012 Tiguan with a 2.0l T, and it too doesn't make any mention of a cool down or warm up period.
Old 03-02-16, 06:08 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by satlawyer
However, the cooling down of the turbo is something that I don't do (this being my first turbo charged). How exactly does it work? Do you have to cool down after driving (modestly) on the freeways aswell?
Post #4 has the quote from the manual
Old 03-06-16, 01:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Turbo cooling down is an optimum condition that is suggested but not required from the manual quote. If its recommended i dont think its a required maintenance item. I`m pretty sure if this is was required due to design, the Engine Control software would be designed to have a program to allow engine cooling after shutdown, something BMW loves with their turbos.

In the news, BMW V8 n63 (not tus) were found during testing that these engines would reach critical temperatures during operation. To prevent damage the BMW ECUs after shutdown commands the electrical cooling system to cycle coolant to keep cooling happening to prevent damage.

If the 4 Pot in the NX was found to be reaching extreme temperatures during testing you better believe Lexus would program the car to respond similarly as the BMW. But since I have not seen a thread about cooling system remaining on, i think the lexus tune is probably more then efficent to not need this

Last edited by coolsaber; 03-08-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 09:34 PM
Glenn6one9
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a greddy turbo timer, in my MR2, to keep the engine running after "hard runs"(to help cool down). I never did anything during WARM UP. Engine still on original turbo, with 123,000 miles. It's a 1991 MR2 Turbo. I'm sure turbo tech has gotten better, over 25 years. Maybe...

Last edited by Glenn6one9; 03-07-16 at 09:36 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-29-16, 02:14 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim256
From the manual (seems reasonable to me--but somewhat contrary to the article posted.):

Idling time before engine stop
To prevent damage to the turbocharger, allow the engine to idle immediately after high speed
driving or hill climbing.

Driving condition, Idling time
Normal city driving Approximately
20 seconds

High-speed driving
Constant speed of approx. 50 mph
(80 km/h)
Approximately
1 minute

Constant speed of approx. 62 mph
(100 km/h)
Approximately
2 minutes
Steep hill driving or continuous driving at 62 mph (100 km/h)
or more (race track driving, etc.)
Approximately
3 minutes
This wasn't mentioned by the dealer at all. I always waited a minute or so before driving off, but didn't know about idling before shutdown. Shutting off air, radio, etc. was always normal for me---but that only took 15 seconds or so.

Guess I'll have to really be more aware of the shutdown times, being a new owner. Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-29-16, 04:29 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outdated information.

in the 1980s turbochargers were oil cooled and if run hard and the motor shut off, the heat would burn the oil sitting in the turbo. However today turbo chargers are water cooled and they are designed along with the engine to allow water to flow even after the engine is turned off. Water will still move through the cooling system with the water pump and engine off. Also todays oil, especially synthetics can handle much higher temperatures without burning. Some cars even have exhaust gas temperature sensors that would limit boost if those temps get too hot. Not sure if Toyota/Lexus does this but some cars do.
Old 04-29-16, 01:05 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
Outdated information.

in the 1980s turbochargers were oil cooled and if run hard and the motor shut off, the heat would burn the oil sitting in the turbo. However today turbo chargers are water cooled and they are designed along with the engine to allow water to flow even after the engine is turned off. Water will still move through the cooling system with the water pump and engine off. Also todays oil, especially synthetics can handle much higher temperatures without burning. Some cars even have exhaust gas temperature sensors that would limit boost if those temps get too hot. Not sure if Toyota/Lexus does this but some cars do.

You need to read the history of what went into the building of this first ever turbo 4 from Lexus. I really don't think this is an issue you all should worry about. It is rock solid. Even the turbo's are manufactured by Lexus. All parts in this motor is Lexus OEM.

Unless you are beating the hell out of your NX, I would not worry.