NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Replacing an RX soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 08:50 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Replacing an RX soon

So, the lease on our RX450h expires in a few months, and I'm starting to consider our options. One of the favorites is an NX, and I'm hoping for some feedback from current owners.

I drove a 200t a few weeks ago when our RX was in for service, and was a little disappointed. In general (overall feel) I liked it. My concern was the sound of the engine. I know 4 cylinder engines are going to sound less refined overall, but I was disappointed both in the sound and the volume in the cabin. Was I being oversensitive? I know that as much as I disliked the sound of my CT when I bought it, I don't hear it much any more. I turn up the radio

Also, both of our current cars are hybrids that I once swore I would never buy. It turns out that I like them a lot. What would you consider the main reason you would choose one over the other? After my CT, I'm a little worried about what some consider a lack of power in the 300h.

I'll still consider a new RX, but Lexus seems to have surrounded what I felt was the perfect size of our current car with the new RX (bigger) and the NX (smaller). I think we can live with smaller as long as we can fit enough garden supplies in the back this spring . I'm a big Lexus fan, and want to stay with the brand if I can.

I'll do some serious test drives when the time comes, but there is no substitute for experience. I'm hoping some will share their experience with me
Old 02-04-16, 09:27 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can put it to you like this:

In terms of size, I came from the same RXh to the NX. I found that I was never using the RX to its full potential in terms of size and cargo capacity. I've already folded down the seats and brought home furniture and a large TV in my NX. So it's smaller looking, but really can still do what I need it to do on the occasion I have larger items to haul around.

I've owned more 4cyl cars (mainly Toyotas) than I can even count. I have to say that the NX is definitely the quietest of them all. I feel that I hear the V8 in our Infiniti or the V8 on my former Audi more than I hear the 4 on the NX. The hybrid regenerative noise on my RX bothered me more than the standard engine sound :P
When I have the radio on, I honestly don't even hear the motor. And you will NEVER hear the turbo unless it's winding down at a drive thru and you happen to have the window(s) down lol. Take a long drive with the radio playing something. You won't notice it, I promise

Overall I'm still happy with the NX. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. It's not a speed demon, but it's not sluggish either. I personally couldn't justify spending an extra 10k getting the RX, when my NX was fully loaded. a HUD and Pano roof would have been nice, but fuel economy and every feature they offer on the NX took the lead... Test drive all three, RXh, NXt, and NXh, and see which one fits you best. I think you'll be happy no matter what you choose. All three are really nice SUV's. Keep us posted
Old 02-04-16, 01:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Woodrow, did you have a 200t FSport as a loaner? It has ASC which amplifies the engine sound (artificially) into the cabin.

Regardless, I had a CT and past RXh and nothing beats the library quiet operation of these hybrids. When I moved to the '13 RX 350, it sounded louder (engine of course) until I got used to it again. Then having moved to the NX 200t, it was comparable in sound with the exception of a little more wind noise in the NX.

See these threads (if you haven't) on my more detailed reviews:
Initial Comparison to the RX
NX Impressions after 1 Year

If you're concerned about moving to an ICE (engine), go for the 300h. Power-wise and acceleration it's in between the CT and RXh and it takes regular gas

As for carrying gardening stuff, fear not, the NX can carry loads of it! See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...the-mulch.html

Good luck on your decision. Either way (NX or RX), you win!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-04-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 01:28 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well lookie who got himself an RC-F! Congrats, Corrado!
Old 02-05-16, 05:56 AM
Kosukuboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NX butter smooth and bullet proof
Old 02-05-16, 11:35 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for your responses! CorradoMR2, I honestly don't know if it was an FSport. I'd be surprised, as they typically use cars with fewer options. But I'll definitely pay closer attention. Personally, I prefer the FSport looks, but my lovely wife doesn't care for the wide mouth grill. We'll drive both, I think.

One of the reasons I'm such a Lexus fan is the fit and finish of the interiors, and the NX does not disappoint at all. That's probably the best point, although I personally really like the appearance. I do wish they had a 6 cylinder option, but it makes sense that they don't. The 200t seems to have enough "go" to be interesting either way.

Thanks again! You confirmed without question that this will make the short list of options, and still gave me a few ideas about what to look out for on a test drive!
Old 02-06-16, 09:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW83
Well lookie who got himself an RC-F! Congrats, Corrado!
Thanks! I just drove it one night, straight from the dealer into my garage. It pains me to keep this beast indoors for a few more weeks till spring...

Originally Posted by Woodrow
One of the reasons I'm such a Lexus fan is the fit and finish of the interiors, and the NX does not disappoint at all. That's probably the best point, although I personally really like the appearance. I do wish they had a 6 cylinder option, but it makes sense that they don't. The 200t seems to have enough "go" to be interesting either way.
Totally agree. Interiors are nicely finished and the NX's looks like it's been carved out of one chunk of aluminum along its center stack.

Agree on the V6. Having it would have made the NX "perfect" but the four turbo has its upsides thanks to (eventual) smooth power and great fuel economy. On that note, despite the NX weighing in 400 lbs more with increased wind drag compared to my IS (2.5 V6 AWD), it's still about 10% more fuel efficient!
Old 02-06-16, 11:30 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
...I'm a little worried about what some consider a lack of power in the 300h.
That's an unfair and subjective question/comment unless you tell us what your personal power requirements are.
Old 02-07-16, 02:19 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

i think the NX is a great car to choose because even though you thought it was loud, you arent used to having engine noise because your RXh is well-silent... the NX is a very quiet car and i think buying the f sport variant would satisfy more if your looking for sportiness
Old 03-09-16, 08:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We just moved from a 2013 RX-350 to an NX-300h. I can say without question the NX is noisier. Quite a bit of engine noise enters the cabin, as well as a modest increase in road noise and a bit of wind noise. None of this is excessive and didn't dissuade us from downsizing to the NX. It was a compromise we were comfortable with.

The other compromise between the RX and the hybrid NX was the power difference. The NX-300h is definitely wimpy, but it suits our needs just fine. We used to drive a Prius and the NX is far superior in all respects so we don't mind any of the compromises. It really depends a lot on what your expectations are.

This car is a much better size for us and we are really enjoying it. The new RX just got too big for the two of us and my wife has hip problems and climbing in and out was aggravating her condition so we just weren't driving the RX. The NX interiors are very nice, but not as elegant as the RX. Bottom line, the two cars are very different so make sure your expectations are balanced against the differences and take plenty of test drives. Either is a great choice in my book.
Old 03-13-16, 04:35 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2016 RX or NX?

I own a Lexus NX F sport and it is the most stylish car I like on the market right now. However the New RX came out and I was a little jealous at first, but after a lot compare and I actually went test drive one too in person few days ago. I have a little summary!

--Looks--
I have to say new RX does copied NX a lot haha. yeah the design is not 100% same but it really looks like a bigger vision of NX to me. The new RX does has some design that is nice in few way that i wish my NX has, but new RX sorta a little too much compare with NX where it is a little simple and stylish. But it really depends on the personal taste. For me, I am so weird, I like the front of my NX and back of the RX. lol

--Size--
I super agree with you, the New RX is big! and the NX can be a little big lol. like I was at dealer and compared both and it is maybe around 10 inch. not too sure exactly size. but I sorta wish it is not that long, since it is still a 5 seats car and really not need that long. (but i guess a big truck area is nice for some group of people)

--I don't own any hybrid car, and I don't want to give you any wrong advise!

--Bottom line--
Yes, the New RX is nice! like pretty nice and can be a hard choice to decide between the NX. but the thing is we really can't compare since NX is compact crossover vs RX is mid size. it is two different type. I think for me, I don't need the big size car like RX since only two of us. and NX is perfect for me. and I think NX can also works good for you if you put the second row seat down. it will crate a lot space for your garden supplies. When i buy cars, i look at the cost, and I don't think i want to spend extra money to buy an RX that i don't need the bigger space. You should def test drive and pick what you like!! the best answer is what you like!! haha

Hope those helps! and hope you stay as a Lexus owner!

Last edited by zkl2003; 03-13-16 at 04:38 AM.