NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Installing Saftey Tech options on base model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 03:04 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing Saftey Tech options on base model?

Hey guys my dad is considering buying an NX but I want him to get all the safety tech since he's pretty old. I don't t see any cars in my area that have a base model with any of the safety tech features installed though. Blindspot Monitoring/cross traffic, Pre-collision, and Lane Departure, radar cruise etc.. Anyone know if any or all of these can be installed by the dealer on a base model or does it have to come from the factory pre-installed? I don't really want him to order one since there won't be any wiggle room on price. Why are they all seperate options on the NX anyway? Doesn't really make sense. The ES seems to have a big Safety System all in one package but not the NX wtf.
Old 01-30-16, 08:07 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

They have to come from the factory and are hard to find. I know there is one 2015 listed at Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX that has everything on it for 47,183 sticker price. Silver with creme interior. It's on their website. The lane keep is nice because it assists you back into your lane. You might be able to get your dealer to trade for it or one like it. Being last year's model can't hurt on price.

Last edited by Frog98; 01-30-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 03:54 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Why are they all seperate options on the NX anyway? Doesn't really make sense. The ES seems to have a big Safety System all in one package but not the NX wtf.
I think it's mainly because the ES has been around for 20+ years now. They've had time to figure out and streamline what ES buyers are looking for. The NX is a brand new model, and to make it more affordable to newer/younger Lexus buyers, they have to make the tech, leather, goodies, etc. "optional."

There's a reason a bare bones base NX, is $35k. Mine has every single package and factory option, and even some dealer installed ones, and sticker was just under $49k.

The post ^ is correct! Car makers produce fully, fully, loaded variants for the first model year more than any other time in the cars life cycle, I.E. 15 in this case. That's why mine has everything. They do this to entice people to look at, and purchase the new model. So if you can still find 15's out there, they'll maybe have more tech than a 16, and definitely be cheaper.

Another odd factor is location. For example, I bought mine at a dealer in Downtown Chicago. A suburban dealer about 30-40 miles away was shocked that my dealer had RX's with Pano roofs. He hadn't seen a single one yet. Luxury car dealers IN the cities Vs. the burbs, tend to order more well equipped cars for their client base. So check city dealers inventory, and see if yours will trade for the car for you... Just an idea
Old 01-31-16, 12:28 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm ok thanks guys. There IS a silver 200t one near me with all the safety tech installed but he wasn't too keen on silver but maybe he'll have to go for it if he wants the NX. Thought about doing some dealer trade but again there will be less wiggle room on bargaining and my dad always needs a decent deal before buying a car. Or maybe he can just wait a while until one comes into stock the way he wants or maybe I can talk him into a hybrid since those have more stuff on them usually. If he gets one I'll be back to ask more questions here no doubt. Thx again!
Old 01-31-16, 02:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The reason the ES has a package due to the staggered release of the New Lexus Safety Suite + for $635. Its launching slowly with the most recent updated models, like the LCI GS and new RX and LCI ES

Its going to happen, but slowly to the NX as well but later in its MY.

If your dad needs a deal, your best bet is to look for a leftover 15 or deal a 16 with a 10% discount from sticker
Old 02-01-16, 08:16 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The reason the ES has a package due to the staggered release of the New Lexus Safety Suite + for $635. Its launching slowly with the most recent updated models, like the LCI GS and new RX and LCI ES

Its going to happen, but slowly to the NX as well but later in its MY.

If your dad needs a deal, your best bet is to look for a leftover 15 or deal a 16 with a 10% discount from sticker
Ok thanks so the all in one safety package will eventually get to the NX? Maybe I'll have him wait it out then. Either way he's gonna have to wait since there's no stock of the one in the configuration he wants anywhere near us. Plus there's no 15's left around either with that config either.
Old 02-01-16, 09:44 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Ok thanks so the all in one safety package will eventually get to the NX? Maybe I'll have him wait it out then. Either way he's gonna have to wait since there's no stock of the one in the configuration he wants anywhere near us. Plus there's no 15's left around either with that config either.
Yup, but who knows when that package will be offered is upto lexus. Not this MY16, maybe next MY or during its refresh/LCI
Old 02-01-16, 11:00 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Good luck on finding a dealer that will stock up on base models with just safety tech. They will equip the safety tech with packages and features they think would attract buyers and earn more.

You can still get a good deal through dealer trade. Just be firm about what you want in car and price.
Old 02-02-16, 11:36 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Good luck on finding a dealer that will stock up on base models with just safety tech. They will equip the safety tech with packages and features they think would attract buyers and earn more.
Actually we saw one a while back near our area that was a base with all the safety tech equipped but my dad wasn't sure on silver so we didn't go for it. Now it's gone.. Maybe I can convince him to go for a hybrid instead. I've been looking and in my area they all seem to be pretty loaded up. I think we'd have more luck with that instead of a base 200t.