NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dispelling the Myths About the NX AWD System

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 09:27 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I am confused. I have heard that the AWD on the NX Hybrid works like the RX Hybrid, the gas drives the front wheels and the electric drives the rears. I have also heard that the vehicle is essentially front wheel drive until the front wheels start to slip (or heavy acceleration & certain cornering conditions...), and then up to 50% can be transferred to the rear wheels. So does this mean that the electric drive only kicks in when the front wheels start to slip or heavy acceleration, etc?

You understand why I am asking that question? These two facts seem to contradict one another because I know the electric drive on the hybrid doesn't only kick in when the fronts are slipping, cornering or under heavy acceleration. I can roll along on a 30 MPH street with nothing but electric - which demonstrates that point.

So can anyone clarify how the AWD works on the NX Hybrid because these statements seem to be contradictory?
Old 02-23-16, 09:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I am confused. I have heard that the AWD on the NX Hybrid works like the RX Hybrid, the gas drives the front wheels and the electric drives the rears. I have also heard that the vehicle is essentially front wheel drive until the front wheels start to slip (or heavy acceleration & certain cornering conditions...), and then up to 50% can be transferred to the rear wheels. So does this mean that the electric drive only kicks in when the front wheels start to slip or heavy acceleration, etc?

You understand why I am asking that question? These two facts seem to contradict one another because I know the electric drive on the hybrid doesn't only kick in when the fronts are slipping, cornering or under heavy acceleration. I can roll along on a 30 MPH street with nothing but electric - which demonstrates that point.

So can anyone clarify how the AWD works on the NX Hybrid because these statements seem to be contradictory?
Easy. The NX and RX use 3 electric motors in total 1 for back only and 2 in the front.

So for instance on gentle starts you have enough juice to power the vehicle with FWD.
Old 02-24-16, 04:57 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The NX200t AWD system is totally different than the hybrid. -

As for traversing deep snow and having fun mine went through 10 inches no problem. I have a 4wd truck that goes through anything up to 3 feet deep or more. I know how AWD systems work and my point was simple. 99.9% of NX200t owners with or without winter tires won't drive in DEEP snow for fun. Audi obviously got the point. Nobody is saying they are going enter pikes peak with an NX......or any 40-50k SUV.....
CAFE standards are making them do AWD smarter and more logically. You want a cool AWD system buy the new Ford Focus RS-
Old 02-24-16, 05:02 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

INTELLIGENT AWD
The available electric all-wheel drive system on the NX Hybrid features an additional electric motor to deliver instantaneous torque to the rear wheels only when it’s required. With no friction loss or added fuel consumption due to heavy mechanical components, the system can automatically help prevent wheelspin when starting off, and is so innovative it can also adapt to the angle or condition of the road.
Old 02-24-16, 05:12 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Hybrid system
Old 02-24-16, 06:20 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom59
INTELLIGENT AWD
The available electric all-wheel drive system on the NX Hybrid features an additional electric motor to deliver instantaneous torque to the rear wheels only when it’s required. With no friction loss or added fuel consumption due to heavy mechanical components, the system can automatically help prevent wheelspin when starting off, and is so innovative it can also adapt to the angle or condition of the road.
So after that you agree that the Lexus is a handicapped system compared to the old Quattro system. but satisfactory for the majority of people?
Old 02-24-16, 07:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

OK. Thank you Tom59 and Coolsaber for the clarification! That makes sense now. It doesn't sound like it would be as robust in situations where AWD is needed as a direct mechanical linkage (such as the non-hybrid AWD or even 4WD in other vehicles), but probably fine for the 99.9% of us that just need AWD to make the commute less exciting in the winter months or heavy rains.

Obviously that is another debate, but now as I describe our AWD to others I can state the correct facts.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-16, 10:13 AM
ishimoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So after that you agree that the Lexus is a handicapped system compared to the old Quattro system. but satisfactory for the majority of people?

yes the Quattro is the best of the world we have hear it enough now

but the Hybrid do very well for a not off road car. For 99.9% of the people is more then the need.

Old 02-24-16, 11:44 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Easy. The NX and RX use 3 electric motors in total 1 for back only and 2 in the front.

So for instance on gentle starts you have enough juice to power the vehicle with FWD.
Does the 300h really have 3 electric motors? I had the impression there was one in front and another one driving the rear wheels.

On most starts, my 300h uses AWD to get off the line as I can see in the Energy Monitor that power is being sent to the rear wheels.
Old 02-25-16, 12:01 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All Toyota hybrids have at least 2 motors. The NX has an extra one in the rear to drive the rear wheels...
Old 02-25-16, 01:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

F:
Motor Drive Unit + Motor Generator (assist but not soley push) +ICE

R:
Motor Drive Unit
Old 02-25-16, 07:28 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the 300h only gets the 3rd motor, if you order the 300h AWD, no? Otherwise it's the ICE and the one electric motor up front?
Old 02-25-16, 11:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeW83
If I'm not mistaken, the 300h only gets the 3rd motor, if you order the 300h AWD, no? Otherwise it's the ICE and the one electric motor up front?
yup
Old 02-26-16, 06:24 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, Lexus should really start badging the AWD models, again. I believe they used to on the GS for example. There really wasn't anyway to tell that my RX was, unless you were told by the salesman or ran the VIN. At least the NX has the AWD lock button. I wonder how many people think theirs is AWD when it's not, only to be surprised when they're all over the place in bad weather :P

Last edited by MikeW83; 02-26-16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 02:28 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

F:
Motor Drive Unit + Motor Generator (assist but not soley push) +ICE

R:
Motor Drive Unit
So it still has 2 electric motors not 3?

In the Energy Monitor screen, it only shows 2 electric motors. If the motor generator is not pushing the car then it's not really a 3rd power plant is it?

Quick Reply: Dispelling the Myths About the NX AWD System