NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dispelling the Myths About the NX AWD System

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 06:42 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stahp!

I will say, I'm personally tired of people comparing the NX to the Macan. A fully loaded NX with every factory and dealer option is $48-50k. The Macan STARTS at 52, and goes to 97+!

They really aren't in the same "class" or league as one another. That's like comparing the Q5 to the Macan as well. They both come from VAG, and are both Luxury CUV's, but that doesn't mean that they're serious competition for one another. Someone spending 70 grand on a Macan isn't likely in serious consideration for a $45,000 Lexus or Audi.

Do we think the Bentley Bentayga is competition for the Q7? Not likely. lol
Old 01-22-16, 10:45 AM
ishimoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have tested my NX 300h today. it is a Executive E-Four.

I made a video, so you can see start driving it will use the rear motor.
I have no idea how many %, but it does.

Here you are:

Old 01-22-16, 01:36 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

gobyli - that configuration would result in a really great dirt track racer! The "crow-hopping" on the
street would however be horrendous.
Old 01-22-16, 04:39 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ishimoto

Here you are:

Lexus NX AWD Sample - YouTube

Sounds like you are mashing it with the IC rev noise. But again without seeing the accelerator input % cant tell.
Old 01-22-16, 04:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeW83
I will say, I'm personally tired of people comparing the NX to the Macan. A fully loaded NX with every factory and dealer option is $48-50k. The Macan STARTS at 52, and goes to 97+!

They really aren't in the same "class" or league as one another. That's like comparing the Q5 to the Macan as well. They both come from VAG, and are both Luxury CUV's, but that doesn't mean that they're serious competition for one another. Someone spending 70 grand on a Macan isn't likely in serious consideration for a $45,000 Lexus or Audi.

I agree the macan is in a class of its own. But alot of other vehicles have similar setups, and the awds seemingly outperform the NX.
Old 01-22-16, 05:33 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by Pinhead
I never compared them but the people on this forum LOVE to, thinking the NX200t which is a very very entry level luxury suv can compete with an actual luxury SUV.
Sorry Pinhead, wasn't implying you did personally. But like you said, TONS of people on this forum love to. Which I just don't understand. Let's be real, Porsche isn't even a Luxury brand. It leans more towards sub-exotic, pure sports. If you've ever been doomed to driving a Gen 1 Cayenne base, you know what I'm talking about

Ishimoto- I had the same setup in my AWD RX hybrid. I'm pretty sure the NX uses both electric motors to get the car moving due to the smaller 4cyl, this way it doesn't have to work so hard. Because I don't recall my RX using the rear motor all that often unless I was beating on it or it needed traction. It's actually a really nice setup!
Old 01-23-16, 03:53 PM
gobyli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
gobyli - that configuration would result in a really great dirt track racer! The "crow-hopping" on the
street would however be horrendous.
That is if the viscous coupling is used as the centre diff though, which is not the case for NX's system right? If they are separate components should it just act as a normal, full time AWD car with 50:50 split on the road?
Old 01-23-16, 04:00 PM
gobyli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeW83

Ohhh I wasn't really trying to comparing the two, I just meant that is a huge missed opportunity for lexus if the NX was a good handling CUV, that'll give a fair boost to the sporty image lexus's so desperately trying to create
Old 01-28-16, 12:30 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by gobyli
Ohhh I wasn't really trying to comparing the two, I just meant that is a huge missed opportunity for lexus if the NX was a good handling CUV, that'll give a fair boost to the sporty image lexus's so desperately trying to create
(Not so much anyone on this particular thread here, gobyli, but if you search the word Macan in the general forum, I think you'll catch my drift )

Well, I think it's more so an issue of architecture. Toyota only has a handful of platforms they can pull from, and design on. Whereas VW has several. Not to mention they own a couple of exotic, ultra luxury, and premium sports brands. Toyota just has Lexus.

I'm also curious how many NX owners have had older, 4cyl Toyota products. If you've ridden in the current Rav4, Camry 4Cyl, etc. I think you will notice a world of difference and refinement in the Lexus comparable models. The NX isn't "just" a rebadged Rav. Same way that a Cayenne isn't just a rebaged Q7 or Touareg. They all share the platform, but fill a different roll.

The NX handles incredibly well IMHO. It's a balance of sporty looks, traditional Lexus "feel," and features/price to bring a younger demographic into the brand. Like what I said in a previous post; people who are TRULY shopping for a fast sports CUV like the Macan, really aren't shopping the NX. Vice versa There's a difference of $47k in price on both of them once fully loaded.
Old 02-06-16, 05:24 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I got to test my NX out in snow........with the all season radials on it. I'm impressed. 10 inches of snow and this thing was excellent stopping was more an issue than anything like any awd vehicle with all seasons on. Stopping is always the issue without winter tires.

I took it up a couple of steep inclines from a dead stop just floored it very little slippage .....also went on some plowed secondary roads with ice and it handled superbly.

I'm impressed .......I tried everything slides , really deep snow from a dead stop it just went right through it.
Old 02-06-16, 09:34 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ishimoto

I was driving my 300h last night and I experience the same. It seems to use AWD to get off the line, then switch to FWD.
Old 02-17-16, 01:23 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Weird huh , all the other systems supposedly better than Lexus's - ??

Audi is rolling out a new version of its Quattro all-wheel-drive system that promises an efficiency improvement of at least 5 percent—more on the highway. Available exclusively on the VW Group’s modular-longitudinal platform, the new system, which Audi calls Quattro Ultra, decouples the rear axle when it’s not needed. Fewer moving parts equals less friction.

Sounds like they are copying Lexus - because they are.......

http://blog.caranddriver.com/quattro...nt-awd-system/

Last edited by Tom59; 02-17-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 05:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom59
Weird huh , all the other systems supposedly better than Lexus's - ??

Audi is rolling out a new version of its Quattro all-wheel-drive system that promises an efficiency improvement of at least 5 percent—more on the highway. Available exclusively on the VW Group’s modular-longitudinal platform, the new system, which Audi calls Quattro Ultra, decouples the rear axle when it’s not needed. Fewer moving parts equals less friction.

Sounds like they are copying Lexus - because they are.......

http://blog.caranddriver.com/quattro...nt-awd-system/
True but depends on the torque distribution. If they are able to do 0-100 then its nothing like lexus`s 50 handicap
Old 02-22-16, 03:18 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
True but depends on the torque distribution. If they are able to do 0-100 then its nothing like lexus`s 50 handicap

Audi is 50% .............these are not off road vehicles. CAFE standards are forcing companies to get mileage wherever possible. This is one place they can.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I'd imagine with winter tires it will be even better especially stopping. Luckily , this winter we've had snow then it disappears. I gave it a thorough test last storm on ice, deep snow and everything in between.

50% isn't a handicap. BTW-
Old 02-23-16, 06:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom59
Audi is 50% .............these are not off road vehicles. CAFE standards are forcing companies to get mileage wherever possible. This is one place they can.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I'd imagine with winter tires it will be even better especially stopping. Luckily , this winter we've had snow then it disappears. I gave it a thorough test last storm on ice, deep snow and everything in between.

50% isn't a handicap. BTW-
It is a handicap when compared to an Audi Quattro (not the new system). To most buyers though, like yourself the difference is impossible to recognize. It only matters to those who like a little more fun I guess and those who might benefit who like to traverse deep snow with snow tires

The idea of a rear biased 100% Front to back torque split does wonders (or before 40/60 rear) in various situations.

In simple terms, a constant torque split maintains traction at all 4 wheels, which can be selected via ESP sensors to cut traction. So the workload is premdominatly all on cutting power so a single step.

In a reactive system such as the Lexus or Audi Quattro the system must recognize slip, then apply reactive force in either ESP brake, or traction via torque Basically a two step

So in situations where quickness is important a 1 step system is better then a 2 step system. HOWEVER:

If the sensor and data network is supremely fast, then it could theoretically negate the system lag of the 2 step system. Which is something i guess Audi has come with since thats their buzzword in basicallly all the reviews and press release (250 milliseconds is the magic number)

The one thing they have yet to publish is the torque spilt available. Are they doing there usually 100% on any axle side to side or something else.

The Audi Quattro Ultra seems in line with what Acura has been using for a decade; SH-AWD.

Quick Reply: Dispelling the Myths About the NX AWD System