NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Replace Halogen High-Beam with LED High-Beam

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 03:53 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Halogen High-Beam with LED High-Beam

Has anyone tried replacing the stock halogen high-beams in the NX-200t (Premier model) with after market LED high-beams?

I saw a few variants over on eBay which will fit my 2015 NX-200t but I am not sure if they will work (or worse, void the warranty).

Link to the LED high-beam: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9005-HB3-...pV5pfD&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-16, 04:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lol

I want to mod my car, but don't want to impact warranty!!!! If you want to cry about warranty, don't touch the car. Dealerships really do have people in ignorant fear.

Second, I would never buy any lights off ebay, nothing but cheap Chinese crap.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-12-16 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 04:11 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

I live in Dubai, they are not too big on after-market accessories and spare parts here. Plus, we have to route everything through the authorized Lexus dealership and those guys don't have LED high-beams (at least for now).

But you're right on the warranty, wouldn't want to void it for some lousy headlights.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-16, 04:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

You missed the entire point. They can't VOID anything over a set of lights. This is the ignorant fear I was mentioning. Dealership have people scared to touch ANYTHING because it would "void" their warranty. At least here in the US, the word "void" is irrelavent as a dealership can only deny to fix something if they can PROVE your change caused the problem. Otherwise, they MUST honor your warranty and replace the part that failed.

If a dealership ever tries to use the words "Your warranty is void", be willing to call a lawyer or corporate customer service, because you're being lied to.

If you want LEDs, I would recommend contacting someone at Philips, or VLED, or XenonDepot, and inquiring if they have something that works.
Old 01-12-16, 04:28 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

My NX has the triple beam LED, but on my Honda Civic I replaced the halogen high beam with high powered LEDs.

The NX uses HB3 bulbs, you can find high powered ones online and just replace them.
Old 01-12-16, 04:37 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

If you replace the halogen bulbs with LED or HID lights, the warranty cover for the bulbs will be voided, perhaps if there is a wiring or fuse failure directly related to the aftermarket lights, a repair on those items may be denied, but the remainder of the car is still covered.
Old 01-12-16, 04:48 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr645
If you replace the halogen bulbs with LED or HID lights, the warranty cover for the bulbs will be voided, perhaps if there is a wiring or fuse failure directly related to the aftermarket lights, a repair on those items may be denied, but the remainder of the car is still covered.
Since there is no wiring modification, surely you can just insert the original bulbs back in before a warranty claim?
Old 01-12-16, 06:44 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For those that don't have LED high beams and want the "White" look for their high beams.... an alternative is to get Sylvaina zXe bulbs. They are street legal and DOT approved. The color temp is ~ 4200 kelvin.
Old 01-12-16, 01:54 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Actually aftermarket LED bulbs for headlights have been becoming more common in the Japanese market for at least 1 year ago.

I have come across such products from PIAA , Philips, BELLOF for Japanese market. IPF also launched their LED headlight in Fall 2015 and they had it on display in 2015 Tokyo Motor Show. All of these products are available in Autobacs ( the common auto parts stores in Japan) which let you compare their lights as there are on display that you can turn on.

Among those products, I would recommend the one (351 HLB) from IPF as it has great reviews and their CP ratio is quite high. Besides, it allows you to adjust the orientation of the actual LED elements to suit the design of the headlight reflectors which I haven't seen it in others' design.

You should be able to get a pair for less than US$200 if you know how to source it from Japan.

IPF 351 HLB

https://www.ipf.co.jp/products/351hlb.html

This is for replacing halogen light bulb of HB3 or HB4 types. I got it with the intention of halogen light bulb replacement in a non-Lexus car but haven't had a chance to install it.

Note that this particular IPF product is not made in Japan despite in the front of the box, it says "Japan Pride". The back of the box says it is made in China.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-12-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 02:00 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

This is the English page for the IPF 351 HLB http://www.ipf-light.com/catalog/35xhlb.php Note that you need to ensure there is enough clearance inside the hood of NX for the heat sink behind the LED light bulbs

A recommendation to the OP - to avoid problems, try to buy one from reputable manufacturers such as PIAA, Philips, IPF, VLEd, etc as the durability/reliability of the LED headlight (or fog light) depends highly on the control circuit. I wouldn't get the one you listed from eBay. A poor design may fry something inside the hood.

Last edited by AndyL; 01-12-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 03:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Why?

You only use the High Beams every so often.
Old 01-13-16, 04:10 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Since there is no wiring modification, surely you can just insert the original bulbs back in before a warranty claim?
I;ve known people to swap out far more extensive mods before going in for warranty repairs, so yea, that's an option
Old 01-23-16, 03:09 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone, I was in Japan for business and they have a boat load of options for the after-market NX (that includes sequential turn signals for the front!!). Most mods however, required the car to be physically present there which I could not obviously do. I did get myself LED bulbs for the high-beam, will have the Lexus dealership install it themselves. Will post pictures of it once done.
Old 01-04-17, 07:31 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by satlawyer
Thanks everyone, I was in Japan for business and they have a boat load of options for the after-market NX (that includes sequential turn signals for the front!!). Most mods however, required the car to be physically present there which I could not obviously do. I did get myself LED bulbs for the high-beam, will have the Lexus dealership install it themselves. Will post pictures of it once done.
I am interested in getting the LED bulb for the Highbeam.

What did you get and how did it turn out? Please share. Thanks.
Old 01-04-17, 09:49 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Be aware that if you want to change the high beam to LED, you will need to drill a hole in the dust cover (see step 2) AND SEAL IT with silicon to avoid any moisture or other contaminates in the headlight housing. There is a wiring harness -> ballast -> factory socket. You will also have to mount the ballast somewhere close and secure.

It is more trouble than its worth, and yes any kind of drilling and cutting will void the warranty. I doubt you use often to justify the mod.
The following users liked this post:
GoHuskers (01-04-17)

Quick Reply: Replace Halogen High-Beam with LED High-Beam