NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question about warming up the NX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 08:01 AM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about warming up the NX

Might be a silly question here, but just wondering with the cold weather here in Alberta. My NX is usually parked outside all day while i'm at work. How long do you guys usually warm up the car before driving it after a full day in the cold. Is there any tips on how to speed up the warm up of the vehicle with the climate control options. I usually just adjust the heat to about 25-26 and put it on full blast. Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
Old 01-06-16, 09:02 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

can you do a remote start from your office (Enform app, or ideally, the FOB) , then by the time you get to the car, it should be good.
Old 01-06-16, 09:17 AM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately do not have the Enform app feature in Canada and I have not had a remote starter installed in the vehicle yet.
Old 01-06-16, 12:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Buddy888, I let it idle like I do all my cars, for about 30 seconds or so and drive off gently when really cold (i.e. like this current week!). I also leave the heating off until the engine is a tad warmed up.
Old 01-06-16, 12:14 PM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

I usually let the engine run until that noticeable drop in rpm happens then let the car roll slowly for the first while until the temperature gauge move. I'm not sure if it's correct but that's what I do.
Old 01-06-16, 01:07 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not a diesel, so warming up is 5 ish minutes in the frigid cold. Maybe longer if you're slow to scrape Windows.
Old 01-06-16, 01:43 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought you don't need to warm up new generation cars. If the oil is not circulating in your engine when it starts, its a big issue. So if you have the right oil it should be fine. Thats my understanding from talking to people in trucking business.
Old 01-06-16, 01:49 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Buddy888, I let it idle like I do all my cars, for about 30 seconds or so and drive off gently when really cold (i.e. like this current week!).
Ditto, from a fellow Albertan. This is about how long it takes me to get the seat belt done up, heated seats on, sunglasses put on, and my winter gloves put on.
Old 01-06-16, 04:45 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks for all the advice guys. Starting to think I may invest in a remote starter for next winter. Any NX owners in Alberta been able to install a remote starter? and how much was the cost? thanks!
Old 01-06-16, 05:45 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy888
Awesome, thanks for all the advice guys. Starting to think I may invest in a remote starter for next winter. Any NX owners in Alberta been able to install a remote starter? and how much was the cost? thanks!
These guys are right. Both my IS300 and Rav4 in the owners manual tell you to start the car and let it come down off of high idle then drive away normally and my interpretation of that is drive it around at a lower speed until the temp begins to come up to snuff. The owners manual will steer you in the best direction. Turbos I have owned a turbo but it was stored in a climate garage and wasn't taken out in the cold.
Old 01-06-16, 06:43 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I definitely idle my NX for at least 30 seconds before driving off. In fact, I noticed the first 30 seconds of idle are particularly rough (see thread and video in below link).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9169091
Old 01-06-16, 08:15 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question along the same line... During the first 30ish seconds of starting the NX, it's definitely louder than any other point, and more exhaust seems to push out of the pipes. Then there is this noticeable "wind down" that I can only presume is the turbo. Is this the case? I've never owned a turbo before, and I've wondered just what that sound is. It's similar to a radiator fan shutting off and stopping on a car in summer time. The noise that is. Nothing obtrusive or worrisome, just noticeable if that makes sense...
Old 01-07-16, 04:01 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeW83
I have a question along the same line... During the first 30ish seconds of starting the NX, it's definitely louder than any other point, and more exhaust seems to push out of the pipes. Then there is this noticeable "wind down" that I can only presume is the turbo. Is this the case? I've never owned a turbo before, and I've wondered just what that sound is. It's similar to a radiator fan shutting off and stopping on a car in summer time. The noise that is. Nothing obtrusive or worrisome, just noticeable if that makes sense...
Every car does this.....
Old 01-07-16, 11:43 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Every car does this.....
That's true. My IS350 does the same thing (higher RPMs for the first ~30 seconds and then blips downward), but it's not a rattle type sound as on the NX. Maybe that's because it's 4-cyl? I don't think the turbo has anything to do with it at such low RPMs.

Regardless, I always idle until that period is over. Consider it the time to put my seat belt on, stow away luggage, set the radio, etc.
Old 01-07-16, 11:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

If I have learned anything during my time as an NX owner, its that Lexus techs are clueless about this car, and blame EVERYTHING on the turbo. (I know no one specifically asked a tech on this thread, but its been mentioned as the solution to everything odd with this car...so I'm ranting lol)

Your mpg is low? Probably the turbo. Your car is making an odd sound in the rear? Probably the turbo. Your headlights won't come on? The turbo. Your grandma is too fat to fit into the seat? The turbo probably caused that.

I hear the rattling sound as well from time to time. I tend to believe there is some unbalance in the motor at initial start where something hits a heat shield and it rattles.

Quick Reply: Question about warming up the NX