NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 NX Base Model Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 06:38 AM
solofgreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 NX Base Model Impressions

I'm looking at the 2016 NX Base Model. My dealer does not have one in stock, customers seem to prefer the Premium, Sport etc. I have the brochure but just want to make sure that the standard features are enough. i believe it comes with standard back-up camera, nu-luxe, heated front seats and the general Bluetooth set-up. The lack of the sunroof, head-up display and other higher tech features is acceptable. Wondering about peoples' impression of the Base Model. Thanks
Old 01-06-16, 06:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have had two base Lexus models as my commuter cars and I love them. CT was one and my current one the IS. I don't need NAV, BSM, LKA, HUD, Memory seats, and all the other bells and whistles I have on the NX which I do care for in the NX as it's our family hauler and for long trips.

A key difference is the Display Audio Controller in the base model vs the Remote Touch Interface touchpad with NAV equipped models. If you care not for NAV, the DAC is still good, arguably better than the RTI thanks to its precision click/selection input method. Since they don't have a base NX model at your dealer, ask if they have a base IS, ES, or CT as they are all similar in operation and graphic/software.

What vehicle are you coming from? And do you have multiple drivers of different heights and seat preferences?
Old 01-06-16, 07:04 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am from Halifax. We debated about the base vs the premium model as they had $4000 off the base at the time. We ended up with the premium because my wife really wanted the memory seats. I really wanted the vented seats and power hatch. I think if don't need or care for these extras, then go for the base model.
Old 01-06-16, 12:42 PM
solofgreen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to !halifax and corradoMR2. I'm coming from a 2008 RX400 (hybrid) which is surprisingly low tech. The base features like bluets and back up cam are all steps up. I was certainly impressed with the Premium model that I drove. Thanks for the answers.
Old 01-06-16, 01:05 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the base version with power rear door which was a requirement for me. I miss BSM which is a must for NX in my opinion due to its shape and high stance. I am in Texas so heated seats is not an issue but if you are in a cooler climate then it is a must.

Apart from above I wish I had homelink and parking assist but I don't miss them in daily driving. I do miss BSM big time - so make sure you get that.

BTW, I checked the specs - heated seats are not standard on 2016 NX (based on what I see online). Its a $440 option (on NX200t). Not sure if you are looking at hybrid version when you looked up this information.
Old 01-06-16, 02:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by chandlervt
I have the base version with power rear door which was a requirement for me. I miss BSM which is a must for NX in my opinion due to its shape and high stance. I am in Texas so heated seats is not an issue but if you are in a cooler climate then it is a must.

Apart from above I wish I had homelink and parking assist but I don't miss them in daily driving. I do miss BSM big time - so make sure you get that.

BTW, I checked the specs - heated seats are not standard on 2016 NX (based on what I see online). Its a $440 option (on NX200t). Not sure if you are looking at hybrid version when you looked up this information.
He's from Canada. The options we have in Canada on Lexus models are only available via packages unlike the US which allows individual options. It's trickier for us when deciding on paying a bigger price tag for just one or two features. To "need" BSM also means "needing" to pay almost 10K more for the Luxury package

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-06-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 02:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by solofgreen
Thanks to !halifax and corradoMR2. I'm coming from a 2008 RX400 (hybrid) which is surprisingly low tech. The base features like bluets and back up cam are all steps up. I was certainly impressed with the Premium model that I drove. Thanks for the answers.
If moving to a base NX is an upgrade from your base RXh, there's your answer! I'd save the 4K and get the base. And right now, they're even giving a factory $1K rebate on '16 NX making the deal a little sweeter.

Just note these small things that are missing if they mean anything to you with the base model:
- No silver roof rails
- no homelink/built-in garage door opener
- no power rear hatch (but honestly, it's slow so you're not missing much)
- no auto-dimming mirrors
- 17" wheels (instead of 18") but they will provide for a slightly more compliant ride.
- 2 fewer speakers
- etc...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-06-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 04:16 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pick premium over base because of theses (if only $4k difference):

- much better looking 18" rims with Michelin tires instead of some other crappy brand tires
- ventilated seats
- memory seats, mirrors & steering column position( very handy for multiple drivers)
- heated steering wheel
- sunroof
Old 01-07-16, 08:00 PM
solofgreen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all that - very useful insights. Based on my last conversation with my salesperson, I'm still thinking base. The premium had a Sport Mode dial - not sure if the base in Canada has that. Gives it some extra sharpness to the acceleration.
Old 01-07-16, 11:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks for all that - very useful insights. Based on my last conversation with my salesperson, I'm still thinking base. The premium had a Sport Mode dial - not sure if the base in Canada has that. Gives it some extra sharpness to the acceleration.
I never understood people who got "base" or "strip" luxury cars...you should get those additional conveniences and features. That's what makes a luxury car a luxury car. Do people get those base cars just for the badge?

It definitely will help with resale later if you had some packages on it.
Old 01-08-16, 04:48 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

I like luxury cars because they are often quiet, well made and come with high levels of service, such as quick loaner cars when in for service, free car washes etc. Lexus covers valet fees at many locations where I live also. In two major shopping malls valet is either $5 or $6 but all Lexus vehicles are free.

However many of the latest electronics annoy me or I find useless. Example, I have yet to find an in car navigation system that can match Google maps on any phone. So to pay $3,000 for such is my book is a waste. Many cars have these distracting blinking lights in the side view mirrors that notify the driver that there is car next to them. However in most cars, including my NX, super high definition mirrors provide a perfectly clear view of what is next to the car while driving, covering a complete view from rear view to side view to peripheral vision. The lights in the side view mirrors can be a distraction, possibly causing the driver to miss seeing the car next to them? Another is the power lift tailgate. Not that I mind the power lift system, but it take much longer to open the tailgate then a manual one. 11 seconds from the time I press the button to when it's fully open. A manual version opens in less then 3 seconds.

Some buyers are looking for lots of features, my mom is one of those drivers. Her exact words are to the salesperson are "Just make sure it has all the bells, whistles and Chatzkies"

But for me I feel my NX has too many bells, however it's never whistled so that's good

Last edited by Mr645; 01-08-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 06:18 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Didn't know Canadians options are different.

Originally Posted by dchar
I never understood people who got "base" or "strip" luxury cars...you should get those additional conveniences and features. That's what makes a luxury car a luxury car. Do people get those base cars just for the badge?

It definitely will help with resale later if you had some packages on it.
There are lot of people like me who would rather not pay for it if they are not using it but want good reliable car with good service. Thats the reason I bought Lexus. Lexus does not have a "badge" value like Merc or BMW. For me, I was tired of Toyota and Honda service and their BS sales.
In any case, options are a quick way to depreciate a car because of the margins. They are good to have if you see value in them. I don't see value in them. I got a base version nx and my trade-in value of car is higher than what I paid for it. Did the same with CT200h. Used it for 3 years, and still retained 70% of what I paid for it.

Most new base models have so many features in them that you don't need to pay extra. I would have loved the comfort package but at the time of purchase dealer was selling base with few options or loaded. I am definitely not paying for packages I don't need. Navigation is probably the worst thing for me for 2 reasons - maps get outdated really fast around Texas and stupid Lexus controller which I just hate. Manufacturers should just allow miracast or something equivalent and get rid of navigations altogether. THAT I am willing to pay for (Even 2016 accord has it )
Old 01-08-16, 06:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Badge value only exists for those who wish to stand on a soapbox and spout off about it. And Merc and BMW owners certainly do often. Though, they are also the group that feels the most shame about their cars too, with their constant need to remove their numbers off their car so you don't know they bought the cheapest car...just to have the badge.
Old 01-08-16, 06:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Yes, Sport mode is there even on the base in all NXs globally. It's the Drive Mode Select feature for which you have Eco Normal and Sport, all of which have increasing throttle response, while steering response too is stiffened in Sport mode. If you see a dial with Sport S/S+, that's only for the top-end F Sport Series 3 in Canada.

Old 02-04-16, 09:03 PM
solofgreen
Driver School Candidate

Default Final Report

Since I started the thread, I'll provide an update. I took delivery of a 2016 Atomic Silver NX - Base Model. I'm in Canada so it certainly comes with most of the nice features. The upscale features are all things I like but a person has to settle on a price point. I'm happy with the NX. I traded my RX hybrid. There is a size different but not much. Great SUV. Thanks again for the information.

Quick Reply: 2016 NX Base Model Impressions