NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Comparison when purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 09:34 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Thanks for sharing your insights! It is hard to find a car that ticks the box both exterior and interior looks as well. I went to the Audi dealer next door and was pretty appalled by how cheap the interior of the Q5 is (in my opinion)
Heh, sit in a Q3! It somehow manages to make the 5 look, luxe. Really appalling for what they charge.
Old 02-04-16, 10:03 AM
Futpurch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of the F sport AWD handling?

Also how does it perform driving up hills?
Old 02-04-16, 10:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Futpurch
What do you think of the F sport AWD handling?

Also how does it perform driving up hills?
Depend on the demographic. Since you're from the US, I think it handled like a vehicle bigger than itself and has a lot of body roll for a car chassis. I actually found the 4Runner with X-REAS to have less body roll and its 1000lbs heavier. That's not an insult to the NX, I think it handles "ok", but I'm just pointing it out.

And it performs like a 4cylinder that doesn't wish to utilize much boost.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-04-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-04-16, 06:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

In the same price bracket, the only real competitor is the RDX.

However for kicks I went and compared against it with the Q5, X3, GLC, and Macan.

With the Macan driving circles around everyone.
Q5 is dated, I mean its being replaced next year so not fair, but q5 is really aged poorly
GLC is sweet, but the infotainment needs work.
X3 is the Macan at a cheaper price tag.

However with its true competitor being the RDX, i think it depends on which you`d like. The Acura does make its honda roots very apparent, especially in the lack of QC. But practical wise the Acura wins, plus price tag

If you are considering the GLA, Q3, X1 or any other abomination of mini-ute Dont. POOR IDEA. Those vehicles fool the badge lovers in forking ove tons of cash for the badge Substandard vehicles design wise, they look like hunchbacks of notre dame vehicles. Refinement levels are soo bad. I know of people who were considering a well optioned Accord, but instead jumped on the CLA. Initially balled hard, then realized the CLA was a terrible car. Not MB like. But hey its got the badge right? noope
Old 02-04-16, 06:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

One advantage that Macan, X3, Q5 and RDX have is that they all offer smooth 6 cylinder engines. X3 and Q5 also offer 4 cylinder engines which are becoming common in the segment.

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-04-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 09:21 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Again, for the love of God, the Macan fully loaded is $97k. The NX fully loaded, is $48-50k. They are NOT competition for one another lol

The only true competition for the NX is the RDX, Discovery Sport, Q5, GLC, & X3... They are all within the "compact" luxury, 182" length, segment.

Porsche is a Sports/semi-exotic brand... They're not Premium/Luxury. *rant end*
Old 02-05-16, 12:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeW83
Again, for the love of God, the Macan fully loaded is $97k. The NX fully loaded, is $48-50k. They are NOT competition for one another lol

The only true competition for the NX is the RDX, Discovery Sport, Q5, GLC, & X3... They are all within the "compact" luxury, 182" length, segment.

Is Porsche paying you to remind us that they are a sports/semi-exotic brand? Cause they should

I think one can agree the topic of the post was what other cars did people consider before buying an NX so anything goes like the previous other posters. If you have a burning desire/want talk discuss/rant off topic about the sanctity of the macan and the Porsche brand theirs a car chat subsection
Old 02-05-16, 04:05 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Is Porsche paying you to remind us that they are a sports/semi-exotic brand? Cause they should

I think one can agree the topic of the post was what other cars did people consider before buying an NX so anything goes like the previous other posters. If you have a burning desire/want talk discuss/rant off topic about the sanctity of the macan and the Porsche brand theirs a car chat subsection
Hahaha, well if V.A.G. is paying me, they overbid considering this is only the second time I've mentioned it, Coolsaber. First being on my thread about the NX AWD. Good to know you hang on my words though! I'll be sure to let my manager know at our next check-in.

From the OP "Just curious when you decided on the NX, have you looked at other close competitions and what swayed you either way?"

I might be wrong, but a $47k difference in price doesn't sound close to me. Just my humble opinion. Seeing as this is directly about the NX, no need to take it to car chat subsection as you suggested. Thank you though!
Old 02-05-16, 04:18 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to the Porsche discussion, I also considered the Macan before I purchased the NX.

Here in Australia, a base model Macan S (we only have the S as the base model) is 85K and a fully loaded NX is 84K so for me, it was unrealistic to get a base Porsche, not matter how good it drives.
Old 02-05-16, 04:36 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
To add to the Porsche discussion, I also considered the Macan before I purchased the NX.

Here in Australia, a base model Macan S (we only have the S as the base model) is 85K and a fully loaded NX is 84K so for me, it was unrealistic to get a base Porsche, not matter how good it drives.
+1! See, now that makes sense if they're only a thousand dollars apart. Here, they are sooooo not lol It's hard to believe how much more expensive it is for you, down under. On the flip side, your NX is gorgeous! That F Sport with the triples is stunning
Old 02-05-16, 04:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you have to compare apples to apples. The Macan comes in different trims that are "fully loaded" in their own right. So, 97k is the Turbo with max options. YOu could also get a S loaded for much cheaper. however, you're still going to be about 20k higher than the NX. But lets be honest, other than interior space, there is no comparison, your 20k is going into powertrain and the Porsche name.

And while Porsche itself is a lower end exotic company, I don't personally think the SUVs are exotic. I think they simply fall under luxury cars. I don't think you hit exotic until you're driving a GT2 or GT3 911.
Old 02-05-16, 05:38 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Hahaha, well if V.A.G. is paying me, they overbid considering this is only the second time I've mentioned it, Coolsaber. First being on my thread about the NX AWD. Good to know you hang on my words though! I'll be sure to let my manager know at our next check-in.

From the OP "Just curious when you decided on the NX, have you looked at other close competitions and what swayed you either way?"

I might be wrong, but a $47k difference in price doesn't sound close to me. Just my humble opinion. Seeing as this is directly about the NX, no need to take it to car chat subsection as you suggested. Thank you though!
To be honest, unless the region you live in is charging a $47K tax a similarly equipped jumps between 4-10K price delta.

Yes if one was buying a turbo or an S with all the options boxes ticked off that $47k difference would be understandable. However lets compare apples to apples here, you can get a comparable Macan between $4k-10K delta that is equally equipped.

The Porsche has a slight premium on the base model, but just like with any other european luxury vehicle you can tack on as many options your hear desires and your wallet can sustain (or not)
Old 02-05-16, 05:40 AM
MikeW83
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Well, you have to compare apples to apples. The Macan comes in different trims that are "fully loaded" in their own right. So, 97k is the Turbo with max options. YOu could also get a S loaded for much cheaper. however, you're still going to be about 20k higher than the NX. But lets be honest, other than interior space, there is no comparison, your 20k is going into powertrain and the Porsche name.

And while Porsche itself is a lower end exotic company, I don't personally think the SUVs are exotic. I think they simply fall under luxury cars. I don't think you hit exotic until you're driving a GT2 or GT3 911.
You are absolutely right! I think the closest that the words "exotic" and "SUV" get to one another, is the Lamborghini LM002 or the Bentley Bentayga. The latter being less exotic, and more Ultra Luxury... Ha I think that's why Porsche SUV's are geared towards the sports spectrum. Clearly a Cayenne is the sporty, much more upmarket Touraeg.

Also, that was kind of my point that you made for me... You can't do an apples to apples comparison on the two. When both are maxed out, fully loaded, and 47-50k apart in price. Even base there is still 20k between them. I also find it odd/interesting that Lex is going to pit the new LS against the Panamera, but as coolsaber said, that's a different time and a place for that convo lol
Old 02-05-16, 06:17 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

It always makes me wonder why GM doesn't throw a horse into that. They had the Trailblazer SS back in the 2000s. It was a quick SUV for the time but they never created a luxury version. I don't understand why they don't offer something under the GMC or Cadillac name with a LT1 in it or the motor from the ATS-V? While it wouldn't carry the same "name" as the Porsche, it would be arguably MORE reliable and would hold its own in a pull while costing 20-30k (MSRP 60-70k) less.

The only real domestic comparison you have is the SRT8 Jeep, and those things are about as reliable as a paper umbrella in rain. I've personally known 2 people that had their bought back within the first 3 months of ownership.
Old 02-05-16, 08:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
It always makes me wonder why GM doesn't throw a horse into that. They had the Trailblazer SS back in the 2000s. It was a quick SUV for the time but they never created a luxury version. I don't understand why they don't offer something under the GMC or Cadillac name with a LT1 in it or the motor from the ATS-V? While it wouldn't carry the same "name" as the Porsche, it would be arguably MORE reliable and would hold its own in a pull while costing 20-30k (MSRP 60-70k) less.

The only real domestic comparison you have is the SRT8 Jeep, and those things are about as reliable as a paper umbrella in rain. I've personally known 2 people that had their bought back within the first 3 months of ownership.
Caddy is coming out with a replacement for the SRX. Maybe they'll offer a performance model in the new line. See post #12 for picture.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...successor.html

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-05-16 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: NX Comparison when purchasing