NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Complete Owner Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 11:39 AM
skr9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Owner Review

Have owned my NX F-Sport for 6 months now - here are my overall thoughts. Hope they are helpful to potential buyers.
Despite the F-Sport guise, this is not a 'drivers car' - even if Sport mode - you never forget you're in an SUV. As expected, Lexus build quality and reliability is ever present; ride quality is sublime and always hushed. The LED headlight option is pricey, but the lights are amazingly bright and sharp. The interior design is very attractive but on the snug side - ergonomics are quite good. I'm a small-ish guy - 5'6", 140lbs, and I LOVE these seats - very comfy and supportive for long drives. Those with larger frames may find the sport seats a bit tight otherwise. Back seat is quite roomy, and the rear seatbacks are angle adjustable; I’ve never been disappointed with the cargo capacity thus far.
On the downside: Despite it being a $1100 option, the LED headlights do not have the auto high beam function like the standard headlights - why?? The driving mode selector always defaults to normal - so if you choose Sport or Eco, you have to do so each time you start up the vehicle. There is no auto sensing wiper feature. I have the Forward Collision Warning/Radar Cruise Control option – the forward collision has already saved me once, so glad that I did get it, but the computer controlling the radar cruise control is surprisingly laggy - the one I had in my Mazda3 was much snappier to respond. I generally use the shortest distance setting, but sometimes the computer lets a big gap develop before it responds and accelerates the car, and then there are times when the computer seems to let me get really close to a vehicle before responding with the brake (yes - the lens on the grill is always clean, and I only use it in clear weather!) By comparison, Mazda’s execution on this technology was far superior. The Lane Departure Warning only has the light in the mirrors - there is no option for an audible tone. Again – Mazda’s LDW also had a subtle, non-intrusive triple beep to alert you, and I found it to be very helpful in addition to the tiny yellow lights in the mirrors. The Enform systems' touch pad is a challenge - I've tried to embrace it, but after 6 months, I can say it was a poor choice by Lexus - it just seems to require too much attention. The voice command option for the Nav system is useless; unintuitive, no common sense commands, and only seems to respond to my voice otherwise with 50% accuracy. I'd pay good money to switch this whole system to Apple CarPlay. The Enform Remote Connect is a very nice feature - but it takes a very long time to communicate with the vehicle. And apparently if you buy this model in Canada you can get a heads-up display option - but its not available in the US – was a huge disappointment to this techie!

Overall very pleased with the vehicle, but some of these shortcomings were a bit annoying for a vehicle that was a hair under $50K.
Old 12-21-15, 12:02 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Good Review. Triple LED headlights with auto high beam and auto sensing wipers are available on the Luxury model in the United States. I wish they were available on the F sport also. I bought a Luxury model to get these features and leather interior. If they put the front end of the F sport on the Luxury model, it would be just about perfect for me. I'm also on the short side, so it fits me well. It's not my RC F, but I do find it fun to drive. I wish we could get HUD, 360 degree camera, and Mark Levinson in the United States. Even though after having the Mark Levinson in a GX and ES, I didn't pay they extra to get it on the RC F. I just like the option The 10 speaker system in the NX and the base system in the RC F sound pretty good to my ears.

Last edited by Frog98; 12-21-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 01:34 PM
online421
Rookie

LED head light with auto high bean and auto sensing wipers are available as standard F sport model in New Zealand.

We have 3 models here,
Base model
F sport model
Limited model

F sport and Limited model has every option available as standard (HUD, ML audio, 360 camera...etc), except F sport does not have electric back seat, and no moon roof.
Old 12-21-15, 11:07 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by skr9
The driving mode selector always defaults to normal - so if you choose Sport or Eco, you have to do so each time you start up the vehicle.
This is not true. If I drive in ECO mode and leave it there, it is set to ECO the next time I get in the car and go.

The voice command option for the Nav system is useless; unintuitive, no common sense commands, and only seems to respond to my voice otherwise with 50% accuracy
For me, the voice command works the best when I go to: "Home" button > "Lexus App Suite" > "Destination Search". From there, it recognizes destinations much better than directly from the nav screen.

The Enform Remote Connect is a very nice feature - but it takes a very long time to communicate with the vehicle.
I've never had an issue with the communication time between the app and the vehicle. It connects relatively quickly, compared to the software that I had to connect to my former Volt.
Old 12-22-15, 11:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
This is not true. If I drive in ECO mode and leave it there, it is set to ECO the next time I get in the car and go.
Correct. If you shut off the car in Normal, it starts in Normal. Shut it off in Eco, it starts in Eco. Shut it off in Sport, it starts in Normal.

For me, the voice command works the best when I go to: "Home" button > "Lexus App Suite" > "Destination Search". From there, it recognizes destinations much better than directly from the nav screen.
You can also say "Destination Search" to get there without going through the menu buttons. This is what I usually do.
Old 12-22-15, 12:34 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frog98
Good Review. Triple LED headlights with auto high beam and auto sensing wipers are available on the Luxury model in the United States. I wish they were available on the F sport also. I bought a Luxury model to get these features and leather interior. If they put the front end of the F sport on the Luxury model, it would be just about perfect for me. I'm also on the short side, so it fits me well. It's not my RC F, but I do find it fun to drive. I wish we could get HUD, 360 degree camera, and Mark Levinson in the United States. Even though after having the Mark Levinson in a GX and ES, I didn't pay they extra to get it on the RC F. I just like the option The 10 speaker system in the NX and the base system in the RC F sound pretty good to my ears.
I have a 2015 NX300h with the luxury package and it didn't come with the auto high beam function. Are you referring to a 2016 NX or does the hybrid model just not get it? On a side note the 2015 NX hybrid did not have an option for lane departure but it does however for the 2016 model which I found strange?
Old 12-22-15, 01:07 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjw972
I have a 2015 NX300h with the luxury package and it didn't come with the auto high beam function. Are you referring to a 2016 NX or does the hybrid model just not get it? On a side note the 2015 NX hybrid did not have an option for lane departure but it does however for the 2016 model which I found strange?
I am referring to 2015 NX 200T models with luxury package and triple-beam headlamps. We have two of them...both with auto high beam. Both with lane departure and pre-collison...about every option you can think of in the U.S. They were hard to find. A dealer in Plano has 3 of them still equipped like them. I haven't seen any 2016 equipped like this yet. Not sure on the Hybrid...that's puzzling Maybe they didn't want to run up the MSRP on Hybrids by adding them in the U.S. Maybe the same reason we don't get Mark Levinson, HUD, 360 degree camera, and panorama roof. I could see the price going near 55k+ with all that.
Old 12-22-15, 07:04 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frog98
I am referring to 2015 NX 200T models with luxury package and triple-beam headlamps. We have two of them...both with auto high beam. Both with lane departure and pre-collison...about every option you can think of in the U.S. They were hard to find. A dealer in Plano has 3 of them still equipped like them. I haven't seen any 2016 equipped like this yet. Not sure on the Hybrid...that's puzzling Maybe they didn't want to run up the MSRP on Hybrids by adding them in the U.S. Maybe the same reason we don't get Mark Levinson, HUD, 360 degree camera, and panorama roof. I could see the price going near 55k+ with all that.
Are you referring to Park Place Lexus; that's where I bought mine. I ordered it last year in December fully loaded as well except the auto high beam option and lane departure option were not available. You could only order the triple beam headlight w/out auto high beam. I believe you're correct about the MSRP on hybrid models which is a shame. I feel as if the customer is willing to fork over the money then give them what they want...but what do I know?

Question though, does the lane departure feature automatically steer you back into your lane or is it passive?
Old 12-22-15, 09:09 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjw972
Are you referring to Park Place Lexus; that's where I bought mine. I ordered it last year in December fully loaded as well except the auto high beam option and lane departure option were not available. You could only order the triple beam headlight w/out auto high beam. I believe you're correct about the MSRP on hybrid models which is a shame. I feel as if the customer is willing to fork over the money then give them what they want...but what do I know?

Question though, does the lane departure feature automatically steer you back into your lane or is it passive?
Yes, Park Place Lexus. The 3 2015's 200T's for $47,183 look like they have just about every option. I've purchased from Park Place Lexus and Sewell Lexus over the years and had great experiences with all of them. Yes, the lane departure on the NX actively steers you back into the lane. We had a 2010 HS 250h we got as a demo with lane departure with steering assist, hud, pre collision, front camera. A car way ahead of it's time. It's still in the family.
Old 12-23-15, 09:57 AM
skr9
Driver School Candidate

As best I know, the 'lane departure' is simply a "Blind Spot Monitor' feature - there is no active lane departure feature available on the NX per the Lexus website. The option available on the NX is as follows:

BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT*
$660
To help you change lanes with confidence, the available Blind Spot Monitor is designed to detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes. And for added confidence, the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert can help you when backing out of a parking space by notifying you of vehicles approaching from either side
Old 12-23-15, 10:38 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

As best I know, the 'lane departure' is simply a "Blind Spot Monitor' feature - there is no active lane departure feature available on the NX per the Lexus website. The option available on the NX is as follows:

BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT*
$660
To help you change lanes with confidence, the available Blind Spot Monitor is designed to detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes. And for added confidence, the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert can help you when backing out of a parking space by notifying you of vehicles approaching from either side
Blind Spot and Lane Departure are two separate options.

Last edited by Frog98; 12-23-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-24-15, 05:21 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don;t understand why the blind sport side view mirrors are useful. It was easy to adjust the sideview mirrors so there is no blind spot where a car or motorcycle could hide from view if it is in the adjacent lane
Old 12-24-15, 06:28 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
I don;t understand why the blind sport side view mirrors are useful. It was easy to adjust the sideview mirrors so there is no blind spot where a car or motorcycle could hide from view if it is in the adjacent lane
LOTS of people don't adjust their mirrors properly to see as much of the blind spot as they should. Sad but true.
Old 12-24-15, 07:12 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

The rear cross traffic alert and side rear mirror alerts have saved me more than once from idiots who don't pay attention to people in their adjacent lanes. Mirrors should be adjusted correctly, true, but the cross traffic alert is a bonus, as in hilly terrain, someone comes over a hill zooming as I'm looking out the other side.....well, it's just a blessing.
Old 12-24-15, 07:26 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
The rear cross traffic alert and side rear mirror alerts have saved me more than once from idiots who don't pay attention to people in their adjacent lanes. Mirrors should be adjusted correctly, true, but the cross traffic alert is a bonus, as in hilly terrain, someone comes over a hill zooming as I'm looking out the other side.....well, it's just a blessing.
The RCTA has also saved me from idiots in parking lots who zoom behind you when you're backing out of a parking place.

Quick Reply: Complete Owner Review