NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Interesting Accessories Thread (OEM or non-OEM)

Old 03-05-16, 06:32 AM
lparlato
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash board mat

I really like that. I can't find one that nice on ebay.
Old 03-25-16, 02:53 PM
tmknight
Driver School Candidate

Question Paint Protection Film

I'm sure it's been asked somewhere, though I can't locate a similar discussion: Has anyone gone for this? I've acquired half-dozen or so paint chips on the hood and bumper and thinking about this, but wonder, one, if it's effective and, two, does it stick out like a sore thumb - particularly at the edges of the film which, I'm sure, accumulate dirt, wax, etc.

Thanks in advance for feedback - pictures would also be appreciated. Feel free to link-smack me if there is a previous discussion that I missed.
Old 03-25-16, 04:43 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tmknight
I'm sure it's been asked somewhere, though I can't locate a similar discussion: Has anyone gone for this? I've acquired half-dozen or so paint chips on the hood and bumper and thinking about this, but wonder, one, if it's effective and, two, does it stick out like a sore thumb - particularly at the edges of the film which, I'm sure, accumulate dirt, wax, etc.

Thanks in advance for feedback - pictures would also be appreciated. Feel free to link-smack me if there is a previous discussion that I missed.
Highly recommend the bonnet protector.

Deflects stones very efficiently from the bonnet.

Used them frequently over the years. Not a single stone chip on an 8 yr old crv and 12 year old rav 4 with bonnet protectors.
All good with the NX so far.

Dry through alot of construction zones.
No bonnet protector available for my CT and the bonnet is a mess of stone chips.
Old 03-25-16, 04:54 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miop4000
Highly recommend the bonnet protector.
Miop, I am obsessed over your NX! I really really like that blue. I think I've ever only seen one. Almost all of the NX's here are either black or white and the occasional silver/titanium one.
Old 03-25-16, 06:09 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree with the color observation. That blue is amazing. Love it!

As to the question at hand, we had an 06 Prius and it had significant road rash at the 4 year, 40,000 mile mark when we traded it in. For that reason we got the clear bra installed on our 2010 Prius of the same color. The difference was night and day. There were a few chips at five years, but very minimal and most of them were above the film. I solved this on the NX by having the entire hood and front fenders done. I love the protection of the film and am a complete convert. I would never buy a new car without installing the film again. It isn't cheap, but well worth it in my humble opinion.
Old 03-25-16, 06:18 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tmknight

I wouldn't pay Lexus to do a small piece of the clear film on the hood for that much!! I have been dealing w/ a local company here in the Springs. They put on the good stuff, do a great job & they stand behind their products great! I had it put on the hood, (18" worth!), the back of the mirrors & behind the rear splash area, (before I had the free mud flaps put on!) the front windows tinted for 1 hundred less than what Lexus wanted for that one small strip for the hood! It only takes a few seconds to wipe the film off where it ends on the hood. If you don't look REAL close, you don't really see it! [img]

Clear bra on hood!

On mirrors!

I think it's the Llumar type film. I had it on all my previous vehicle & WON'T drive on here W/O it being on. I had a rock come up & gouge a 2-3 inch rip in the film, (another vehicle!) took it to him, He replaced it NO CHARGE under warranty 2 yrs. after he installed it! Well worth it, because I'd hate to see what that rock would have done to the paint, hood w/o the film on there! Get it & you'll be very happy with the protection it provides!!!
Old 03-25-16, 06:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree completely with NXblue but perhaps for different reasons. It isn't about the cost on a 40 to 50K vehicle. It is about the quality. I had the dealer do our RX and ES, both had to have major sections redone. Fot the NX, I went to a private contractor who installed an Xpel brand film and it was done much better. No visible edges or corners that can collect dirt and debris. Everything done right the first time. We also did the door handle cups as they can quickly get scratches. By doing the entire nose of the car, there are no visible lines but it was another $400 USD.
Old 03-26-16, 07:34 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is my take and experience with my 2010 RX. If you want to protect the hood from stone chips on NX, go for paint protection film on the entire hood.

You may think a stone chip unlikely hits the portion of the hood close to the windshield for a SUV and a partial hood coverage is sufficient.

Our RX was having partial hood covered with PPF and still I got 1-2 visible stone chips beyond the area.

Stone chips can fly as high as the roof and we even got some chips in the A-pillars of our RX.

Reason is while a SUV has higher clearance which is less susceptible to some stone chips, the advantage diminishes when there are too many SUVs around you.
Old 03-28-16, 05:10 AM
tmknight
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint Protection Film

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for! Thanks for the pics; helps to see it installed.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by NXblue
I wouldn't pay Lexus to do a small piece of the clear film on the hood for that much!! I have been dealing w/ a local company here in the Springs. They put on the good stuff, do a great job & they stand behind their products great! I had it put on the hood, (18" worth!), the back of the mirrors & behind the rear splash area, (before I had the free mud flaps put on!) the front windows tinted for 1 hundred less than what Lexus wanted for that one small strip for the hood! It only takes a few seconds to wipe the film off where it ends on the hood. If you don't look REAL close, you don't really see it!

I think it's the Llumar type film. I had it on all my previous vehicle & WON'T drive on here W/O it being on. I had a rock come up & gouge a 2-3 inch rip in the film, (another vehicle!) took it to him, He replaced it NO CHARGE under warranty 2 yrs. after he installed it! Well worth it, because I'd hate to see what that rock would have done to the paint, hood w/o the film on there! Get it & you'll be very happy with the protection it provides!!!
Originally Posted by Ward6096
...Fot the NX, I went to a private contractor who installed an Xpel brand film and it was done much better. No visible edges or corners that can collect dirt and debris. Everything done right the first time. We also did the door handle cups as they can quickly get scratches. By doing the entire nose of the car, there are no visible lines but it was another $400 USD.

Last edited by tmknight; 03-28-16 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 04:07 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Default Clear bra material!

Your welcome!
Yes, it is RM window tint & he's done my cars / SUV's for 30 years. So I know he does a good job, uses the best materials & warrantees his work! He also treats me good b/c I've done so many vehicles w/ him! Look around your area & check w/ people who've had it done & I'm sure you can find someone who does great work & will stand behind the product!
Some on here have said do the whole hood. Fine, if you can afford that, great! I've done 12" to 18" on mine & have NEVER had a problem w/ rocks hitting above the end. It does leave a little bit of a line there, but I've always been able to just wipe it w/ my Zanio Z8 or 9 product, clean & polishes it great. Can't see from a distance, just up close. The choice is yours. He also did my front window tints & he always uses the best tint & tries to match it the best he can. Does a great job w/ that too!
So all I was saying was that I didn't think spending $450 at Lexus to put on that small strip of clear bra on was worth the money.to pay them when I can get better stuff, more of it & still pay less!
I wanted at least 18" on the NX b/c the hood is so swooped! Good luck with your search!
Old 03-28-16, 04:46 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Sorry tmknight. The Llumar is the window tint brand! The clear bra is the Scotchguard from 3M!
Old 03-31-16, 01:27 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Default Dash trim kits

Has anyone looked into or used any dash trim kits? I am looking at a couple of sites, and am considering spiffing up my interior. I have the ultra white f-sport with all black interior.
I have just ordered samples of the real carbon, and have considered real wood as well...any thoughts? Cathy
Old 03-31-16, 02:17 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I feel carbon-fiber would compliment the NX's aggressive look much better than wood—unless you are looking to offset that aggressive look.
Old 03-31-16, 03:20 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

I agree...I only ordered the carbon-fiber samples. Have you installed these kits?
Old 03-31-16, 11:07 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
I agree...I only ordered the carbon-fiber samples. Have you installed these kits?
I have not (at least not yet). Which ones are you looking at? Could you provide some links?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Accessories Thread (OEM or non-OEM)