NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Apexi Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 11:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Apexi Exhaust

Anyone know anything about this picture?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post9263247

There is a picture of an NX with a "F" type exhaust arrangement.

However, their site doesn't show anything about it.
Old 11-23-15, 01:28 PM
john0814
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks amazing. But I couldn't find those on their website either. I will probably check back in a month.
I too have been searching information about the aftermarket exhaust options, but it seems not a lot of companies have started to make performance parts to fit NX? I find the OEM exhaust pipes are a little...boring compared to cylindrical type, which brings more racing sensation.
Old 11-23-15, 08:35 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

In my opinion, putting exhaust like that on an NX is pointless unless you can create that "throaty" sound that is worthy of such exhaust. With the four-banger NX, the most "throaty" sound you'll get is more like a motorcycle (at best) or the noise of a sewing machine in a enclosed box (at worst).
Old 11-24-15, 03:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I would expect it to allow a deeper tone similar to that of a WRX boxer engine. An exhaust can be designed to provide a sound you want, the problem is, most companies dont' want to invest the money to do it RIGHT. Look at the HPE exhaust for the Civic SI, have you heard it? It sounds great. Smooth tone but volume moderately increased. That is what I want.

Additionally, and I know people won't like this (because people are butthurt for anything these days), but I want my Fsport to look less like a base model from the back. There is no reason from the back that someone couldn't differentiate a Fsport from a non-Fsport (a huge fail on Toyota's part). That exhaust will appease that need for me haha

I would expect the exhaust to also only be an axle back. You do not want a catback system for a turbo car unless you have the option to do some retuning. The loss of backpressure will cause a lot of issues without remapping.

And I don't need to worry about throaty, I have plenty of that from a 6.2L

Last edited by Swacer; 11-24-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 10:52 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Called the vendor on the phone.

He said that the exhaust is still in the test phase and will be ready for mass production sometime late December.

He said they will be offering 2 options...Axle and Cat Back.

Axle back - Preliminary Cost is $1250 - Increase in sound of ~8dB over stock. Not much, but some. This will be mostly for aesthetics.

Cat back - Preliminary Cost is $1690 - Increase in sound up to ~88dB. That is going to sound too loud to most people would be my assumption. Its a straight through mid pipe design that utilizes the pipe downstream of your factory cats, thus will not impact the readings of your downstream O2s.

He said it might come with burned Ti tips at first unless there is enough interest to get to a polished steel tip. I told him 10 yrs ago I would have gone for the burned tips, but now, just give me my polished. Also, if you live in an area with salt (calcium chloride) during the winter, it will eat the color right off the tips in time.

He put me on his list for notification. Personally, I'm leaning toward the axle back if it sounds nice. I have no problem with getting SOME sound from the car, it doesn't need to be obnoxious (I have a car for that )

So we shall see. Maybe I'll FINALLY mod the NX. lol
Old 11-24-15, 11:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Also of note, to double the sound of something is an increase of 10dB (perceived volume by the ear). So maybe 8dB isn't so bad.
Old 11-24-15, 11:24 AM
john0814
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Swacer for the info.. I agree the polished steel ones should fit closer to the tone of NX. I hope the modification will be as easy as taking out the chrome hangers and just swapping the pipes and mufflers. Definitely a project on my list.
Old 12-26-15, 04:53 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on the exhaust, Swacer? Looking at options
Old 12-26-15, 04:59 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by optokki
Any updates on the exhaust, Swacer? Looking at options
They are currently taking preorders. There was one vendor that posted about it on here but it was moved. So it should be available after the new year.

I'm ordering a 4Runner this week, so I am no longer in the market, but good luck!
Old 12-26-15, 05:02 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
They are currently taking preorders. There was one vendor that posted about it on here but it was moved. So it should be available after the new year.

I'm ordering a 4Runner this week, so I am no longer in the market, but good luck!
Nice! Selling the NX then? 4Runner might work better for you, especially with all the little kinks the NX seems to have.
Old 12-26-15, 05:14 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by optokki
Nice! Selling the NX then? 4Runner might work better for you, especially with all the little kinks the NX seems to have.
Yeah, dealer gave me a favorable number and a great number on the order as well. Given the issues and my need for more space, best of both needs.
Old 03-04-16, 07:22 PM
00XZIBIT00
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default APEXi Exhaust for NX200T

http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index...anium-tip.html