NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you notice any abnormal wind buffeting noise from the driver's side over 40 mph?
Yes, it's noticeable almost all the time
25.00%
Yes, but only when it's really windy
20.59%
No, it's fine - nothing unusual
54.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 07:13 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
I've been paying a lot of attention to the wind noise that I'm experiencing since I got my NX FSport a month ago. I definitely believe that it has nothing to do with the run channel or any other part of sealant of the glass.

I've also been paying attention to whether I can hear this on the passenger side and the sound is just as prevalent there. I tried driving with the mirror folded but that doesn't make any difference at all (it wouldn't be any more aerodynamic but I thought I'd try).

I'm a little disappointed as this is the main issue that I've been having with the car. If there's a fix then I could wait until Lexus possibly issues a TSB but I don't see that happening since we don't know the exact cause yet.

I am looking to tint my front windows so if there's a tint that can also help block acoustics then that would be my best option there (yay 2 in 1). Gotta start looking into this.
LOL, in my testing and ruling out of possibilities, I also folded the mirrors with no appreciable difference. Short of changing the glass (which will take a miracle for a TSB to come, but you never know since the 2010 RX had the same issue and TSB was issued), the next best attempt is acoustic film. Glad you'll look into this possibility as well. Let's post here any findings.
Old 12-17-15, 09:49 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
LOL, in my testing and ruling out of possibilities, I also folded the mirrors with no appreciable difference. Short of changing the glass (which will take a miracle for a TSB to come, but you never know since the 2010 RX had the same issue and TSB was issued), the next best attempt is acoustic film. Glad you'll look into this possibility as well. Let's post here any findings.
What was this TSB that you mentioned for the 2010 RX? Did it involve replacing the glass panels?
Old 12-17-15, 02:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 2010 RX TSB to replace side glass to reduce Wind Turbulence noise

Originally Posted by skabei
What was this TSB that you mentioned for the 2010 RX? Did it involve replacing the glass panels?
Yes, full glass replacement to the acoustic Lamisafe glass to alleviate "wind turbulence", just like what is being experienced on the NX. TSB L-SB-0014-10, full PDF attached below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0014-10.pdf (1.27 MB, 285 views)
Old 12-17-15, 02:57 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Lexus changed the front drivers and passenger side windows in my 2010 RX because of a noise problem. Lets hope they step up to the plate on the NX wind noise problem as well as the defective rubber molding problem with the doors.
Old 12-18-15, 01:08 PM
NXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind noise, rattle, squeak

I also noted the excessive wind noise on the driver's side, along with a rattle just below and behind the driver seat which would happen around 40 mph. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they said it was a known issue and that they would have a fix by the next day. I was very happy to know I wasn't loosing my mind and that they were going to resolve it. Still waiting to get it back, and will be interested to see if it is both the wind noise and the rattle that are addressed.

Also, there was an infuriating (although admittedly soft) squeaking coming from somewhere around the console that I could not pinpoint. Then one day my daughter figured out that if she put her hand on that little leather rectangle that sits behind the touch pad, the noise stopped. I guess I can live with it as long as I know what it is.
Old 04-18-16, 09:17 PM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise at Freeway Speeds

Today I took my brand new NX200t back to the dealer for the Clear Bra and Clear Coat and asked them to check on the wind noise my wife & I hear from our driver and passenger window at freeway speeds.

The Service Manager took it out for a spin and heard it too. Lexus has received complaints about this and they say it is:

"due to the unusually large size of the driver and passenger side mirrors coupled with the distance of those mirrors from the body of the car, and this causes buffeting/turbulence which interupts normal smooth air flow past the windows. This will be addressed, he was told, at some point on FUTURE models"

The remedy, he said, is to either make the mirrors smaller, and/or to place them farther from or closer to the body of the car.

Great. That to me means no fix for my 2016 NX, but he did beef up and reinforce the rubber mouldings around the windows, which should at least help, he says. I still love this car, still would have bought it, and the noise isn't THAT bad. Still, don't they test these things.....especially since this is the Second Year Of Production??? Sorry for the rambling rant.

Has anyone else been told this by the dealer? Is there anything we can do about it? Thanks.
Old 04-19-16, 01:26 AM
phatm3
Driver

Subscribed. So did they add more rubber gasket on the window? Pictures?
Old 04-19-16, 02:09 AM
NXNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phatm3
Subscribed. So did they add more rubber gasket on the window? Pictures?
Won't get it back from the Dealer til late Tues or Wed. Will let you know what they did and how it looks.
Old 04-19-16, 05:59 AM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by NXNick
Won't get it back from the Dealer til late Tues or Wed. Will let you know what they did and how it looks.
There's been a few threads here about this. The issue isn't the seal or anything; it's actually the thickness of the glass itself. The NX uses Temperlite instead of Lamisafe sound-reducing glass. I believe there was a TSB for the 2010 or 2011 RX about this where they replaced the windows on some of the affected vehicles. I'm not sure if they'll do the same for the 2015/16 NX, but the wind noise has been noticeable for me when driving in suburban areas and I would love a fix for it.

Correction:
The service manager is probably more correct about the actual cause of the wind, though thicker glass would help block the noise. I've been wondering if certain types of window tints can help block the noise. That would be a solution that I'm up for since I'm looking to tint my front windows anyway.
Old 04-19-16, 08:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

For the cars with this problem, do you guys have Clear Bra on the mirrors? That has been the source of additional unnecessary wind noise, and my dealers has said that has been a common problem on many models.
Old 04-19-16, 10:37 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have dealt with the issue of wind noise/outside noise and brought it to the attention of my dealership. They in turn had the district manager come in and we drove the car together. He of course is aware of the problem. Basically it has nothing to do with thinner glass but rather that it is not acoustical glass which is laminated. All glass other than the windshield that is acoustical is temper lite. Some NX in the Northeast have what they call cold weather glass which inherently was acoustical for some reason is not offered for any NX.

I recommend to all that are unhappy with the wind noise to contact Lexus customer relations and open a case on your unhappiness with the wind noise. If Lexus get's enough complaints they will produce acoustical glass and replace the plain glass in our cars. If you just let it go, nothing will ever happen.
Old 03-12-17, 06:31 PM
DrewF
Driver School Candidate

Default Excessive wind noise and vibration

Our car has excessive wind noise and there is a rattle/vibration coming from inside the driver side door pillar B in between the front and rear door. Has anyone else experienced this noise?
Old 03-13-17, 07:59 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewF
Our car has excessive wind noise and there is a rattle/vibration coming from inside the driver side door pillar B in between the front and rear door. Has anyone else experienced this noise?
I do hear an occassional ticking sound around that area. I thought it was coming from the driver side rear passenger door. The dealer claim they cannot hear it after 4 visits.
Old 03-17-17, 07:32 AM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the worse person to ask being 65 with hearing loss, and a loud music player:-). But, I noticed this note from the service history of my CPO 2015 NX200t AWD:

At 10,000 Miles - Lexus Owner - "Wind noise heard while in driver seat, could be door, maybe sunroof, hard to tell."
- Lexus Technician - "Found front floor center LH cover rattling against body. Removed cover and felted effected areas. Reinstalled cover and test drove, noise is gone."

Hope this helps someone. I don't know exactly where the "front floor center LH cover" is but maybe we can figure that one out if it seems to be where the wind noise is coming from in your vehicle.
Old 03-27-17, 12:42 PM
netZ
Driver School Candidate

Front Center Floor Cover - Lexus Part Number: 50819-78010
http://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/lexus+nx...3/5801/585280/

Thanks!
netZ

Originally Posted by jimbug
I'm the worse person to ask being 65 with hearing loss, and a loud music player:-). But, I noticed this note from the service history of my CPO 2015 NX200t AWD:

At 10,000 Miles - Lexus Owner - "Wind noise heard while in driver seat, could be door, maybe sunroof, hard to tell."
- Lexus Technician - "Found front floor center LH cover rattling against body. Removed cover and felted effected areas. Reinstalled cover and test drove, noise is gone."

Hope this helps someone. I don't know exactly where the "front floor center LH cover" is but maybe we can figure that one out if it seems to be where the wind noise is coming from in your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?-screen-shot-2017-03-27-at-3.46.04-pm.png  

Last edited by netZ; 03-27-17 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?