NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you notice any abnormal wind buffeting noise from the driver's side over 40 mph?
Yes, it's noticeable almost all the time
25.00%
Yes, but only when it's really windy
20.59%
No, it's fine - nothing unusual
54.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 06:52 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Mine does it at 80 KPH But glad yours doesn't. What's the secret of yours...
Close your moonroof! LOL! (wait! I think I gave this answer in another thread!)

I'm just kidding around.

Is the NX louder at 80 mph than at 30 mph? Of course! Is it abnormally louder? No, not at all.
Old 12-04-15, 03:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Video/Audio of Wind Buffeting Sound.

Here's a half decent video and sound though I wish the road noise was not so overbearing. Listen carefully and you'll hear the wind buffeting around 5-6 seconds and a couple spots later in this short clip where the sound cuts out a bit. In person, it's much more noticeable.

Old 12-04-15, 05:25 PM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a half decent video and sound though I wish the road noise was not so overbearing. Listen carefully and you'll hear the wind buffeting around 5-6 seconds and a couple spots later in this short clip where the sound cuts out a bit. In person, it's much more noticeable.
How fast were you going in this video? When I brought it into my dealer (Downtown Lexus) the technician couldn't hear it. It was also much harder to notice driving on the downtown roads.
Old 12-04-15, 07:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by skabei
How fast were you going in this video? When I brought it into my dealer (Downtown Lexus) the technician couldn't hear it. It was also much harder to notice driving on the downtown roads.
Around 80 kph.
I captured the HUD speed 79 kph and you see the speed in the side glass. It's louder at Hwy speeds.
Old 12-04-15, 08:40 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CorradoMR2, thanks for the video. I played twice but all I hear is the change of wind noise. Maybe the road noise is a bit overbearing. Can you point out which seconds out of those 22 secs that we are supposed to hear the noise?

And I finally understand what you mean by excessive wind noise. It is not a whistle. I experience whistle or wind leaking into the driver's window in my 3IS despite I already had dealership replaced the glass run in the summer which improves the situation but when the temperature gets colder now, the problem kinda of comes back mildly.

There is a product like what is shown in the picture. It is a kit to reduce wind noise. This company (エーモン - http://www.amon.co.jp) is very popular/common in Japan and this is one of the kits that reduces wind noise.

Note the kit adds some fins or structures to reduce the wind noise. They are held by self-adhesive tapes. Our 3IS also has a built-in fin on the black triangular plastic at the A-pillar. Not sure if it helps? I admit they don't look good but they may hide themselves on a black mirror like the one on NX F-Sport.
Attached Thumbnails NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?-2642_l.jpg  

Last edited by AndyL; 12-04-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 11:26 PM
NXOwner
Racer

I have the NX 200t (non-FS) and have no abnormal wind noise whatsoever.

Just curious if this is an F-Sport phenomenon? Could the lack of the pointed "shark nose" front end of the F-Sport be producing some airflow turbulence coming up from the front-end down the lateral of the vehicle?
Old 12-05-15, 04:58 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Just curious if this is an F-Sport phenomenon?
Not at all on mine.
Old 12-05-15, 05:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Pinhead
I watched the video, are you talking about the change in volume of the wind noise? Like it goes mute for a second and back to wind noise, doing it about 2-3 times every 5 seconds?
Yes. Exaxtly. Just wished the difference I hear in person is better reflected in the video.

Originally Posted by AndyL
CorradoMR2, thanks for the video. I played twice but all I hear is the change of wind noise. Maybe the road noise is a bit overbearing. Can you point out which seconds out of those 22 secs that we are supposed to hear the noise?

And I finally understand what you mean by excessive wind noise. It is not a whistle. I experience whistle or wind leaking into the driver's window in my 3IS despite I already had dealership replaced the glass run in the summer which improves the situation but when the temperature gets colder now, the problem kinda of comes back mildly.

There is a product like what is shown in the picture. It is a kit to reduce wind noise. This company (エーモン - http://www.amon.co.jp) is very popular/common in Japan and this is one of the kits that reduces wind noise.

Note the kit adds some fins or structures to reduce the wind noise. They are held by self-adhesive tapes. Our 3IS also has a built-in fin on the black triangular plastic at the A-pillar. Not sure if it helps? I admit they don't look good but they may hide themselves on a black mirror like the one on NX F-Sport.
Between 5-6 seconds, 10-11 seconds, etc there's a slight cut in sound. Again, the video quality is not great...

Always resourceful AndyL thanks for posting this fin kit. Might be worth trying if the price is right. I suspect the buffeting is caused by the wind interacting with the mirror and small corner side glass. Then factor in the fact that the glass is regular temperlite, the buffeting noise channels through to the driver's ear. When I test drove the new RX which has the same mirror as the NX and similar small side window, no buffeting noise. I suspect the sound is still there but the triple layer-Lamisafe sound-insulating side glass filters it out.

Made me think of this video on the Volt that resolved this window-down buffeting noise. My car sounds like this but obviously to a much lesser degree with the window closed of course...

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I have the NX 200t (non-FS) and have no abnormal wind noise whatsoever.

Just curious if this is an F-Sport phenomenon? Could the lack of the pointed "shark nose" front end of the F-Sport be producing some airflow turbulence coming up from the front-end down the lateral of the vehicle?
Never thought of that and plausible!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-05-15 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 07:35 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine in non-F sport too and no wind noise issues for me either.
Old 12-07-15, 06:13 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 300h and have much more wind noise then in my two previous RX's.
Old 12-07-15, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I'm experimenting with this deer warning whistle, placed backwards. I'll report back after a few days of use.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-07-15 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 07:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. Exaxtly. Just wished the difference I hear in person is better reflected in the video.

Between 5-6 seconds, 10-11 seconds, etc there's a slight cut in sound. Again, the video quality is not great...

Always resourceful AndyL thanks for posting this fin kit. Might be worth trying if the price is right. I suspect the buffeting is caused by the wind interacting with the mirror and small corner side glass. Then factor in the fact that the glass is regular temperlite, the buffeting noise channels through to the driver's ear. When I test drove the new RX which has the same mirror as the NX and similar small side window, no buffeting noise. I suspect the sound is still there but the triple layer-Lamisafe sound-insulating side glass filters it out.

Made me think of this video on the Volt that resolved this window-down buffeting noise. My car sounds like this but obviously to a much lesser degree with the window closed of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04vo4PXozA

Never thought of that and plausible!
CorradoMR2, the kit that I posted costs around Cdn$12.45 with Japanese local shipping but after reading the packaging, I won't recommend it to those who concerns about marring and aesthetic although it works based some user feedback (e.g., CX-5)

Reasons -

You have to stick all of the parts and not just the fin to the mirror casing to make it work. The fins stick to the B-pillar definitely would mar the finish if you intend to take them off. This is written in the packaging.

There is a bigger picture of the packaging in this link -

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/geki-car/3225536/

On another note, the mirror casing on the RX actually is different. The shape looks similar but the lines and shapes are of different relative proportion. Also the distance of the mirror casing to the side window is different as well. And the relative position of the side mirror to the A-pillar as well as the size of the A-pillar triangular window is different as well. So I bet Lexus has made some improvement on RX regarding the wind buffeting noise. I also suspect the direction/angle of the creases on the upper portion of the door panel may contribute to the wind noise.
Old 12-16-15, 06:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^AndyL thanks for the information.

As for an update on my testing on noise reduction, I have exhausted many possibilities from the "deer whistle" above to additional rubber mouldings around the door frame... in short no improvement in wind buffeting or noise in general.

The only "conclusion" at this time is that only major aerodynamic changes will reduce the wind noise, or with the addition of Lamisafe side glass like the RX has.

I found sound acoustic film exists that can be applied over glass. I'd try it. Anyone know where to buy this? http://www.s-lec.eu/uk/automotive/acoustic/19/
Old 12-16-15, 09:48 PM
NXOwner
Racer

The only "conclusion" at this time is that only major aerodynamic changes will reduce the wind noise...
I think if you put the normal NX grill/front fascia on your F-Sport, that may help with the wind noise by making it more aerodynamic.
Old 12-17-15, 06:11 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^AndyL thanks for the information.

As for an update on my testing on noise reduction, I have exhausted many possibilities from the "deer whistle" above to additional rubber mouldings around the door frame... in short no improvement in wind buffeting or noise in general.

The only "conclusion" at this time is that only major aerodynamic changes will reduce the wind noise, or with the addition of Lamisafe side glass like the RX has.

I found sound acoustic film exists that can be applied over glass. I'd try it. Anyone know where to buy this? http://www.s-lec.eu/uk/automotive/acoustic/19/
I've been paying a lot of attention to the wind noise that I'm experiencing since I got my NX FSport a month ago. I definitely believe that it has nothing to do with the run channel or any other part of sealant of the glass.

I've also been paying attention to whether I can hear this on the passenger side and the sound is just as prevalent there. I tried driving with the mirror folded but that doesn't make any difference at all (it wouldn't be any more aerodynamic but I thought I'd try).

I'm a little disappointed as this is the main issue that I've been having with the car. If there's a fix then I could wait until Lexus possibly issues a TSB but I don't see that happening since we don't know the exact cause yet.

I am looking to tint my front windows so if there's a tint that can also help block acoustics then that would be my best option there (yay 2 in 1). Gotta start looking into this.

Quick Reply: NX Owner Survey - Excessive Wind Noise?