NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you feel any engine vibrations at low RPM with your NX 200t?
Yes. Often
20.93%
Yes. Sometimes
31.78%
No. Not at all
47.29%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 04:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
Mine manufactured 10/2015.
Mine is 11/2014 (has the vibration).

Originally Posted by dadofahusk
what is the idle when OFF of the brake and in drive?
Exactly the clarification needed. The vibration is only noticeable when in D at about 760 rpm. No vibration at any idle rpm when in Park.

I experienced the vibration today with ext temps of -5 C.
Old 02-27-16, 08:14 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In park, No vibration in park

In drive, on brake. no vibration

In drive, off brake. Vibration
Old 02-27-16, 11:29 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I was surprised how much vibration my loaner yesterday had. My 300h doesn't vibrate like that

Ok, all kidding aside, I was surprised when I realized how much vibration was visible in the sun visor while sitting at a light. I think I saw it more than felt it though. But back on topic, from my brief experience with the loaner, I can't say I observed what you are reporting, with the vibration only at idle speeds, but with the foot OFF the brake. But then I was either fully stopped with my foot on the brake or going full tilt with my foot in the turbo enjoying all that horsepower. (Kidding again)

Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful other that to confirm that under normal driving circumstances and about 15 miles of city driving, it wasn't anything I noticed.

Last edited by TechNut; 02-27-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 06:15 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In park, No vibration in park

In drive, on brake. no vibration

In drive, off brake. Vibration

Hey just wanted to say this vibration happens to me when I'm at a light and let off the brake to apply throttle.
As soon as I let off the brake the car starts shaking. The entire car.
I feel it in armrest, seat, floor, steering wheel.
It's def the engine and when it was 32 degrees the other day it was shaking so bad I thought something was really wrong.
Today it was 62 degrees and it still shakes when letting off the brake going to apply throttle.
Here's the thing. It never did this before the winter.
I've had my nx since July of 2015 and only after the cold weather did it start happening.
I'm goi g to bring it to the dealer but I'm sure their not going to find anything.
I was thinking motor mounts.
Because it's when the engine starts to pull the car before you apply throttle that you feel this.
Also I notice an engine vibration at higher speeds when the rpms are at like 1400-1800 rpms.
I know it's rpm based because the second I apply slight pressure to throttle it disappears.
It's rpm related not speed.

So I guess this 4 cylinder we have just has vibrations.
Can't wait to see how it feels with worn motor mounts in a few years.
Old 03-01-16, 06:47 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

@Dunhill421, I agree. This issue didnt start happening until after the cold weather. I had my NX since May '15 with no issues prior to the winter. Its absolutely RPM related. As individuals Lexus will continue to tell us the car is operating as intended. Collectively, we have a louder voice. Only thing is I have no idea how to get Lexus to hear all of us experiencing this at once....
Old 03-01-16, 02:27 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Vibration

@Dunhill421, I agree. This issue didnt start happening until after the cold weather. I had my NX since May '15 with no issues prior to the winter. Its absolutely RPM related. As individuals Lexus will continue to tell us the car is operating as intended. Collectively, we have a louder voice. Only thing is I have no idea how to get Lexus to hear all of us experiencing this at once....
We can start a legitamit petition to make Lexus aware of the vibration here on the forum. After we have a certain percentage of signers we can then create a hard copy petition based on everyone who signed online and mail it to Lexus Corperate and see how they respond.
At the least maybe it will make them look into a fix such as better motor mounts or an ECU tune to have a slightly higher idle. (TSB)
Maybe there is a faulty part that enables this characteristic with the car so early on.
If Lexus doesn't respond favorably:
We can also send a copy of the petition to the media and ask that they report on it just to make a point that people who have bought a 46,000 car are not happy with the vibrations, creaks and rattles so early on in a car known for having the highest level of refinement there is.
"The pursuit of perfection"

I'm just coming up with suggestions.
If this issue gets worse the car is going to feel like a Honda Civic and I'm sure we aren't going to be happy about that.

I'm also someone who bought my nx not leased it, based on the assumption that this car would be more refined.

Don't get me wrong I love my nx but I don't believe this car should have these vibrations at all.

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-04-16, 06:35 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Im in, just dont have the time to lead the charge but happy to follow and join in
Old 06-30-16, 07:58 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

interestingly, now that its summer in Connecticut, I am finding the vibration to be pretty much gone. I bought the car last year at the start of the summer which explains why i didnt experience it when it was new. It doesnt explain the cause though.
Old 06-30-16, 06:09 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if y'all saw my post but using 93 octane helps quiet down the vibration quite a bit.

I was in Miami last month and I bought 93 gas from a Cumberland Farms gas station and let me tell you that was best gas I ever put in my car.

vibration gone

the car had extra power...pulled like I've never seen her pull before

and the mpg was the best I've ever calculated.

Since using 93 helps and not all of us are experiencing this vibration, it makes me think that the engine vibration might be due to bad gas.
Old 06-30-16, 06:55 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

I haven't experienced this issue, but I imagine this is the type of stuff that's common in the first couple years of a brand spanking new model. The one thing mine has that annoys the crap out of me is the crunching brake sound after releasing the brake pedal.
Old 07-11-16, 10:33 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

interestingly, now that its summer in Connecticut, I am finding the vibration to be pretty much gone. I bought the car last year at the start of the summer which explains why i didnt experience it when it was new. It doesnt explain the cause though.
Ditto. I only ever had this vibration problem in the winter time (below 5°C). Now that it's summer, the problem has gone away. I strongly believe it's related to the operating temperature of the engine. In the winter, I can replicate your scenario above in which the vibration occurs just as your lift your foot off the brake.
Old 07-13-16, 03:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Winter gas vs summer gas, detergents in one brand vs another, octane amount, etc... one or a combination could be the difference. I too have not noticed the vibration these days but I have been rarely driving it though.
Old 07-18-16, 04:52 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I haven't experienced this issue, but I imagine this is the type of stuff that's common in the first couple years of a brand spanking new model. The one thing mine has that annoys the crap out of me is the crunching brake sound after releasing the brake pedal.

The brake noise is the pad material it sticks when you stop with a hot rotor. It's nothing to worry about. Also in humid weather rust buildup occurs overnight. Either can do it.....

This engine was tested for a few years it's built completely in house by Lexus. The turbo setup is 100% Lexus all others use out of the house turbo's. I doubt it's engine related I still fully believe its tuning related.
Surely , if enough people gripe it will be improved or already has been. - My NX does not vibrate not even a little.
I'm dying to drive one that vibrates so I can see it and hear it stethoscope it. This engine is now in other models and from reports headed over to Toyota too.
Old 10-05-16, 12:25 PM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Interesting feedback. The weather has barely changed in Connecticut yet my vibration that was gone all summer is back. I cant imagine the gas stations have changed to their winter blends yet.
Old 10-10-16, 03:46 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting feedback. The weather has barely changed in Connecticut yet my vibration that was gone all summer is back. I cant imagine the gas stations have changed to their winter blends yet.
IIRC September 15th they start the changeover.

Quick Reply: NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll