NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Any one planning for Navigation update 15.1 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 12:42 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The map Release Notes page (see below) will tell you what has changed in great detail; it's 75 pages long. If you don't already know, The NX's navigation system is Generation 8.

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/release-notes/
Old 02-14-16, 11:11 AM
LBaker004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Not unusual. I've had the same experience with other makes. They do seem to update commercial establishments better than they do the roads.
Thanks Jim256 that's something for me to consider
Old 02-14-16, 11:17 AM
LBaker004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi typocl That's probably when I first started considering the upgrade...after I saw and liked the NAV while test driving a new ES350
Old 10-12-17, 08:42 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn’t do the database update last year and plan to do it this year. Has anyone heard when it’s coming out? Thanks.
Old 10-15-17, 09:32 AM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't mean to hijack this thread but is it really worth paying $210 for a navigation upgrade? I can't recall the last time I used the navigation as I find it simpler to type up an address in Google Maps or Waze vs. the navigation prompt.
Old 10-15-17, 09:56 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I guess it just depends on the degree of operational readiness we want to maintain. I don't use mine often, but I want it available and fully functional when I do wish to use it. I don't use my smart phone as I don't use my reading glasses when driving and just cannot see that small screen effectively without them. I suppose I could figure out some way to use my tablet, but I am not averse to using the vehicle Nav.
Old 10-15-17, 04:01 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Since I began using the Destination Search app that is part of the (free) Enform App Suite, I've found no reason at all even to think about updating the navigation system SD card.

The Destination Search app uses a data base that is constantly updated, which makes it more current than even though most recent SD card update. It has a wider and more current collection of points of interest, and it includes new roads that may not be on even the most recent SD card. Further, it works very well with voice commands.

I've come to believe that anyone who is not using the Destination Search app is missing out on an essential tool that significantly improves the usability of the navigation system.
Old 10-16-17, 10:30 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Since I began using the Destination Search app that is part of the (free) Enform App Suite, I've found no reason at all even to think about updating the navigation system SD card.

The Destination Search app uses a data base that is constantly updated, which makes it more current than even though most recent SD card update. It has a wider and more current collection of points of interest, and it includes new roads that may not be on even the most recent SD card. Further, it works very well with voice commands.

I've come to believe that anyone who is not using the Destination Search app is missing out on an essential tool that significantly improves the usability of the navigation system.
+1
I always use Destination Search....
Here in Washington and Oregon we are not allowed to touch our phone (with a few exceptions) unless pulled off to the side of the road, and when using blue tooth and DS it just isn't necessary.
Old 10-16-17, 11:18 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

I, too, use DS mainly because of the voice commands.

However, I don't agree that it is a replacement of the navigation system maps. If DS has a new POI that is on a newly created neighborhood, subdivision, and/or street, how will it be able to navigate you to that location?
Old 10-17-17, 05:01 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I, too, use DS mainly because of the voice commands.

However, I don't agree that it is a replacement of the navigation system maps. If DS has a new POI that is on a newly created neighborhood, subdivision, and/or street, how will it be able to navigate you to that location?
You are correct in saying that, if there are new streets that were constructed after the navigation system's SD card was developed, those new streets won't show up on the map screen. However, the Enform Destination Assist app will still give you voice turn-by-turn directions to locations on those newly constructed streets.

While there is no question that it would be better to have the new street show up on the map screen, for me, at least having the voice turn-by-turn directions from the Destination Assist app has been sufficient on the rare occasions when I happen to be looking for a place on a newly constructed screen.

Also, considering that even the most recent SD card map update is going to have data that is at least a year old, even with the most recent update, there are going to be times when map data is not going to be current.

For me, I might consider spending the money for an SD card update every 3 or 4 years, but I'm not interested in doing it every year. Instead, I'm fine with very occasionally relying on the voice directions from the Destination Assist app to help me get to places on newly constructed streets and roads.
The following users liked this post:
NXOwner (10-17-17)