NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Stealing an NX

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 04:07 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stealing an NX

For some reason this morning I realized that there's something I'm ignorant about: how easy is it to steal an NX? Can the fact that the key fob must be present to start the car be overridden? Said another way, can the NX be "hot wired"?

Again, this is simply something I know little about.
Old 11-09-15, 05:55 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
For some reason this morning I realized that there's something I'm ignorant about: how easy is it to steal an NX? Can the fact that the key fob must be present to start the car be overridden? Said another way, can the NX be "hot wired"?

Again, this is simply something I know little about.
You're more-so asking how hard is it to steal any car that has keyless entry and push-to-start and many cars have them nowadays (even a lot of non-luxury).

It's not that easy. You can't hack the fob or the car and trick it with a substitute. That's why you must go to your dealership and pay an absurd amount for a replacement key fob. There's no other way to get another one and the dealer charges a lot to discourage you from having to get another one.

That said, it has been done. I've read articles about people using devices that amplifies the range of a car's sensors so that if the key fob is inside your house while your car is parked outside, the car will think the fob is actually closeby or inside. This would allow thieves to enter the car and drive away without any sort of protest. They would only be able to start the car once, but that's often all they need.
Old 11-09-15, 06:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on the quality of the thief. It has been shown that people can get near your car and pick up the frequency given off by your key fob. Once they have that, they simulate the "presence" of the key and the car will work.

To be honest, with enough effort, people can steal just about anything.
Old 11-09-15, 06:38 AM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
It depends on the quality of the thief. It has been shown that people can get near your car and pick up the frequency given off by your key fob. Once they have that, they simulate the "presence" of the key and the car will work.

To be honest, with enough effort, people can steal just about anything.
Actually I remember hearing about something like that a while ago. The article I was reading said it wasn't an easy hack. But yeah if someone tries hard enough, they'll get it.
Old 11-09-15, 06:46 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Chipped keys made things a lot more difficult for thieves. Even today the most stolen cars

1996 Honda Accord
1998 Honda Civic
1999 Chevrolet Pickup (full-size)
2006 Ford Pickup (full-size)
1991 Toyota Camry
2004 Dodge Pickup (full-size)
2000 Dodge Caravan
2000 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
2004 Toyota Corolla
1997 Nissan Altima

Chipped keys and keyless ignitions, along with vehicle tracking mean cars cannot be hot-wired and driving off
Old 11-09-15, 07:48 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They have a tool that plugs into the computer port - Chinese sell these- that will pick up the codes from your car and start it. Enform can find your car though unless they somehow defeat the gps tracking. They are not easy to steal by any means older cars are simple.

I just watched a show on how they steal cars and ship them to Africa and other countries for huge profits.

Nat-Geo is the channel , Underworld, INC is the show and episode 14......is the one on car thefts.
Old 11-09-15, 04:43 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they want the car bad enough they can always drag it up on a flat bed !
They can then take it someplace and strip it for parts.
Old 11-09-15, 04:59 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

any car can be stolen with a tow truck, don't even need a flat bed, a couple of wheel dollies and a tow rope and the car can be gone in under a minute.
Old 05-31-16, 03:50 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

A tow-truck company can open your car in seconds to release the brakes and hook your car for towing. The car is gone within minutes...
Old 05-31-16, 04:20 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
A tow-truck company can open your car in seconds to release the brakes and hook your car for towing. The car is gone within minutes...
How difficult is it to release the electronic parking brake? Isn't the key fob required?
Old 05-31-16, 06:13 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Good point, did not think of that. But they can still put wheel carts under the weels to tow it.

Last edited by Earman; 05-31-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 04:27 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Earman
Tow companies put dollies under the wheels when the yacht get in to release parking brakes. They can typically slim jim most doors but can do much with the ignition. Can't even turn off alarms, they just tow away with the alarm blaring.
Old 06-02-16, 02:35 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting 7min video from BBC England on BMW theft.

There's so many hacking gadgets freely available on chinese websites, no car is safe today.

Old 06-02-16, 03:46 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

And insurance companies are very hard to convince that the car was stolen without your co-operation when there are no signs of forced entry!
Old 06-02-16, 05:16 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cars are harder to steal more than ever, safer more than ever and this begs the question...

Why does my insurance premiums keep going up?

Quick Reply: Stealing an NX