NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 04:53 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Question

Does anyone else have this issue with the windshield being slightly blurry at times? If I am driving at night or during the day when I see lights coming towards me either from cars or stoplights there is a slight blur at the bottom of the lights making it look like a double set of lights. My windshield is clean, the only thing I can think of is that I had the windshield treatment applied to repel water/snow etc. Would that be the reason?
Old 11-07-15, 09:20 AM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cripsy
Does anyone else have this issue with the windshield being slightly blurry at times? If I am driving at night or during the day when I see lights coming towards me either from cars or stoplights there is a slight blur at the bottom of the lights making it look like a double set of lights. My windshield is clean, the only thing I can think of is that I had the windshield treatment applied to repel water/snow etc. Would that be the reason?
I get the same halo effect...I also have a Prius, and the same happens...something about the windshield....I open my window and look at the same light sourse to compare and you can definitely see halo
Old 11-07-15, 01:02 PM
cripsy
Rookie

Yes, a halo effect.. I wonder what causes it? It is very distracting once you notice it.
Old 11-09-15, 10:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't noticed this phenomenon, but that seems possible. The windshield (rather, any windshield) is double laminated glass. Light will refract at the plastic-glass interface leading to a potential double effect. Usually, the lamination process is pretty good, especially for OEM glass. Maybe compare it to another NX at the dealer sometime and see if the same effect is noted.
Old 12-03-15, 09:47 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I stand corrected. Now that the days are getting shorter, I'm getting home later when oncoming drivers have their headlights on. I can definitely notice a double headlight effect. It's almost like every vehicle has fog lights... Once you notice it, it does become a minor distraction. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my eyes but I didn't notice it driving my IS at night.

@crispy, do you have the Head Up Display? I can only say that I see the problem in the lower driver's side area in the general area where the HUD is, so I wonder if it's related... Of course, since we drive on the right side of the road, I can't say I've seen the effect on the passenger side of the windshield.
Old 12-04-15, 12:42 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Yes I do have the HUD. I also have the window treatment applied. It is more obvious at night, but now I see it during the day now that I know what to look for. At first I thought I was just tired, but I always see it now. I can also see it from other areas if he windshield, it I look over at a street light etc.

Last edited by cripsy; 12-04-15 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-04-15, 04:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The area where the Heads UP is, is not normal glass. It is actually a reflective glass such that the projection can be displayed to you. My Camaro has the same thing.

If you didn't have this distorted glass, the HUD would never project.

As for the window treatment, my manual for the Camaro specifically states for you to NOT apply anything to the windshield in that region.