NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Winter Tires/Wheels Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 09:06 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The parts guy I talked to in Edmonton (who seemed to care less about me) said they haven't gotten the go ahead to sell 17" OEM wheels/snow tire packages yet, so were just selling 18". And a set of 18" with the X-ice were approaching $3000.

I went to local tire store and bought a set of 17" DAI alloys OEM wheels (that look almost identical to the OEM), had them install Blizzak WS-80 tires (which I bought from Costco for about $600) along with the TPMS sensors I bought from the dealer (for about $240 all in). I figure I am around the $1700 to $1750 all in for a set of 4. And the tire place will program my TPMS once I actually install the winters on the NX.

Last edited by Drtbk4ever; 10-29-15 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Inserting picture
Old 10-29-15, 10:11 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind the look of them for winter. I am sure that your dealer could match that price.
Old 10-29-15, 10:12 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever

The parts guy I talked to in Edmonton (who seemed to care less about me) said they haven't gotten the go ahead to sell 17" OEM wheels/snow tire packages yet, so were just selling 18". And a set of 18" with the X-ice were approaching $3000.

I went to local tire store and bought a set of 17" DAI alloys OEM wheels (that look almost identical to the OEM), had them install Blizzak WS-80 tires (which I bought from Costco for about $600) along with the TPMS sensors I bought from the dealer (for about $240 all in). I figure I am around the $1700 to $1750 all in for a set of 4. And the tire place will program my TPMS once I actually install the winters on the NX.
I do not believe that excuse lol
Yeah spending $3000 is a little ridiculous.

When I asked about how much it would cost for the TPMS sensor I was quoted $140 EACH. That is asinine if you were able to get them for $240 for the set.

Do we get really annoying warning messages on the instrument panels if you don't have the TPMS?
Old 10-29-15, 01:18 PM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by skabei
I do not believe that excuse lol
Yeah spending $3000 is a little ridiculous.

When I asked about how much it would cost for the TPMS sensor I was quoted $140 EACH. That is asinine if you were able to get them for $240 for the set.

Do we get really annoying warning messages on the instrument panels if you don't have the TPMS?

Yes, because the car tries to communicate with the sensors. If they are not there, then the warning light appears, and other weird things may happen.
Old 10-29-15, 07:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Good move on the DAI wheels. They look good.
Old 10-30-15, 04:28 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Just a reminder, the summer tires certainly don't like even light snow. They also loose a lot of grip below 45°F. Even if dry, the cold causes the rubber used for summer only tires to harden and they get dangerous
Old 10-30-15, 05:59 AM
skabei
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr645
Just a reminder, the summer tires certainly don't like even light snow. They also loose a lot of grip below 45°F. Even if dry, the cold causes the rubber used for summer only tires to harden and they get dangerous
Up here in Canada the default tires come with all-seasons which is fine for most city driving.
Old 10-30-15, 08:00 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good move on the DAI wheels. They look good.
Yeah, and they look even better in person. I will get a side by side photo comparing them to the Lexus wheels currently on the NX.

Originally Posted by skabei
Up here in Canada the default tires come with all-seasons which is fine for most city driving.
Yes, our NX came with all seasons. They are just OK in the ice/snow so it is always a dance about when to put on the winters. Too soon and you can wear the winters out faster, too late and you are stuck in a blizzard with the all seasons.
Old 10-30-15, 02:43 PM
NXF2
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Edmonton as well, looking for a 17" or 18" option... where did you pick up the DAI wheels?

Old 10-30-15, 05:11 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Ordered them through Tire Warehouse in the west end. Talk to Brad.
Old 10-31-15, 06:57 AM
bcx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cripsy
Yes, because the car tries to communicate with the sensors. If they are not there, then the warning light appears, and other weird things may happen.
I was at the dealership yesterday talking to one of the service guys and specifically asked him this question. He said if your wheels have zero sensors installed then the system knows not to show the warning light. Only if you have one or more will it enable the detection.

I don't know if this is true because I haven't put on my winters yet but here's hoping since I planned on living with the warning light through the winter anyway.
Old 10-31-15, 06:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cripsy
Nothing will happen. All you get is the TPMS light. Personally, I can live with the light. I just like to be able to check the tire pressure in the multi-information display.
Old 10-31-15, 07:57 PM
cripsy
Rookie

Aside from the Color, those look pretty close to the RWC wheels that I am getting.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires/Wheels Suggestions-lx95.jpg  
Old 11-03-15, 10:40 AM
Twizzlers
Driver School Candidate

anyone install winter tires without TPMS sensors yet? Did you the warning light go on and did it come with an annoying sound?

I've been asking a few tire shops and one of them stated:
"The obvious problem is, the TPMS will not be functional, and your warning signal will be on. But 90% of our customers prefer this option as they do not want to pay few extra hundreds just for the new set of sensors. The only exception are the owners with an annoying warning signal, which may flash in the middle of the dash board (some with sound as well) which no one can stand for the whole season.. then they have no choice but to purchase the new set of sensors. (you can check your owner's manual to see what kind of signal you'll get)"
Old 11-04-15, 10:10 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twizzlers
anyone install winter tires without TPMS sensors yet? Did you the warning light go on and did it come with an annoying sound?

I've been asking a few tire shops and one of them stated:
"The obvious problem is, the TPMS will not be functional, and your warning signal will be on. But 90% of our customers prefer this option as they do not want to pay few extra hundreds just for the new set of sensors. The only exception are the owners with an annoying warning signal, which may flash in the middle of the dash board (some with sound as well) which no one can stand for the whole season.. then they have no choice but to purchase the new set of sensors. (you can check your owner's manual to see what kind of signal you'll get)"

I didn't install TPMS. No warning light for wifey cuz I would have heard about it immediately.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Wheels Suggestions