NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jdt
Aw man...that sucks. Is that on the gas cap? It was fairly windy in my area today but not sure if any flying rocks/debris could do that sort of damage or even the chances of it happening is very minimal. Are there security cameras in the area that you can look into? I feel your pain, i try to park my nx in empty areas and away from other cars but in the end i still end up with scratches....
Yeah, it's too bad. Unfortunately no security cameras. Sometimes, you wish you had a beater...

Originally Posted by md8
Corrado - if that scratch at the bottom is not bent inward or outward, I'd say no on a pry attempt. Maybe someone threw something at your car. Your daughter score the winning goal?
Good point. Nothing is bent or scratched on the edge of the door, nor on the inside. So highly unlikely someone tried to pry it open.

At least the trip was not a total loss, my daughter assisted on one of the goals that contributed to the win!

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
if the dealership messed it up, demand them to fix it
Nah, not them. See below.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Are you sure the damage was inflicted at that location? Could it have happened earlier and you just noticed it?

Maybe a landscaper was weed-whacking the grass next to your car and some debris was thrown toward it?
Good thought. If it was summer here it could have been plausible. We're at freezing temps now.

Yeah, I'm sure it happened there and then. I reviewed my security cam footage of my driveway just as we left for the game and no ding on the gas tank door (screen capture below).

Originally Posted by skabei
I think it could be something that got blown by the wind. Around your time of posting the snow storm/freezing rain storm was just starting. The snow was pretty much horizontal throughout the early evening. My snowboard and skis (inside their carry-bags) were blown around on the balcony and one of our chairs were blown down. This has never happened before and we're facing Northward while the wind was going east. What direction was the car facing?

The two marks on the mirror line up with the mark at the bottom of the casing. Maybe someone's snow brush got blown away while cleaning their car?
Gas tank door was on the left side which had no adjacent car parked to its left. However, you're right about the winds picking up and the car was parked facing North, making the driver's side exposed to the westerly gusts (going eastbound). Very plausible the wind carried something to hit it.
Old 01-12-16, 06:09 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Gas tank door was on the left side which had no adjacent car parked to its left. However, you're right about the winds picking up and the car was parked facing North, making the driver's side exposed to the westerly gusts (going eastbound). Very plausible the wind carried something to hit it.
I actually completely misinterpreted your first few images that you posted. I thought the damage was on your passenger side mirror which is why I was so confused. I now realize that it's actually on the gas door.

How are you going to fix it?
Old 01-14-16, 10:47 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by online421
I scrapped my left front wheel (we are right hand drive here) while parking... just lightly but yeah... only after this incident I realised I can use the camera under the mirror to see how far you are from the curb.
IDK why they didn't put that feature on the NX, globally. A lot of new Japanese cars in the US have around-view monitors these days... At $50k, would 3 additional cameras REALLY have made that big of a difference on the bottom line?! lol
Old 01-15-16, 03:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by skabei
I actually completely misinterpreted your first few images that you posted. I thought the damage was on your passenger side mirror which is why I was so confused. I now realize that it's actually on the gas door.

How are you going to fix it?
I applied touchup paint as an interim fix. I'll tackle it myself permanently when temps warm up with body filler and a repaint of the fuel door.
Old 01-16-16, 08:44 PM
Supra4100
Rookie

We had our USBM Nx almost 2 months, before some askhole decided to key the door. The scratch was approximately 8" long. I wish I'd snapped a photo before going into "pissedoffIhatetheworld" mode. I applied a bit of Zaino before the incident. The surface was super slick. I could be wrong, but I feel the slick surface repelled the scratching instrument a little better. I used zaino's mild abrasive polish, followed by a few coats of z5 & z2. That reduced the scratch from 8" to 2 smaller scratches. 3/4" and 1" in length. Those were the only two spots the penetrated beyond the paint. I'm sure similar results could be had with other products besides Zaino, but I used what I had. You have to really look to find the scratches. I could barely get the larger scratch to show in the included pic. It looks like a strand of white hair. Normally polishing simply helps conceal the scratch. Fortunately, the scratch on the clear coat surface was mendable.

People freaking suck!

Name:  image_zps9jp4eg0h.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  113.5 KB
Old 01-17-16, 04:13 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Supra4100. I feel your pain, which for me is more about why people do this than the scratch itself.

On a positive note, I thought I was looking at the long white line across the top of your picture but realized it's the two small ones in the middle. Nice recovery work and they barely show.
Old 01-17-16, 07:53 AM
Supra4100
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^Supra4100. I feel your pain, which for me is more about why people do this than the scratch itself.

On a positive note, I thought I was looking at the long white line across the top of your picture but realized it's the two small ones in the middle. Nice recovery work and they barely show.
Thanks, honestly I didn't think I'd eliminate as much as I did.
The thing that's most irritating. If I'm going to park somewhere. I don't drive the Nx. I'm too paranoid. I've only put 4k miles on in 7 months. I love the USB, but it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. I love the compliments from admirers, but unfortunately it entices the jealous jerks.
Old 01-17-16, 09:38 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Supra4100
That looks like a photo taken from an airplane (banking slightly) over the ocean (or forest) on an overcast dawn/dusk, with the sun rising/setting off to the right.

Last edited by NXOwner; 01-18-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 04:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ +1.
Old 01-26-16, 01:52 PM
online421
Rookie

Trying to find free parking space near work is quite difficult.

I found a nearby spot where its a bit tight. but manageable, as a driver I had some doubt/bad feeling about this parking space, because the space is long enough for 2 cars, but I never trusted anyone else's parking, there is possibility that they might back into my bumper.

When I returned, this is what I found.

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread-img_1664.jpg

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread-img_1665.jpg

upon close inspection, the force by the other car backing into my car has ripped the bolt/nuts that secured the rego plate to bumper.

The mesh feels a bit spongy, maybe it is how it is.

I will never ever park at another spot like this.
Old 01-26-16, 02:37 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Trying to find free parking space near work is quite difficult.

I found a nearby spot where its a bit tight. but manageable, as a driver I had some doubt/bad feeling about this parking space, because the space is long enough for 2 cars, but I never trusted anyone else's parking, there is possibility that they might back into my bumper.

**images removed to conserve bandwidth}

upon close inspection, the force by the other car backing into my car has ripped the bolt/nuts that secured the rego plate to bumper.

The mesh feels a bit spongy, maybe it is how it is.

I will never ever park at another spot like this.
After something like 4.5 months of NX ownership, I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase in that I still park far away from any other vehicle, if possible. I do not park under trees, nor do I park under lampposts (tree gunk/bird poop and bird poop, respectively).

If I have to park next to another car(s), I make sure it is a luxury (or expensive) one since I would think those owners would take care not to bump their own doors into my NX.
Old 01-26-16, 04:14 PM
online421
Rookie

Originally Posted by NXOwner
After something like 4.5 months of NX ownership, I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase in that I still park far away from any other vehicle, if possible. I do not park under trees, nor do I park under lampposts (tree gunk/bird poop and bird poop, respectively).

If I have to park next to another car(s), I make sure it is a luxury (or expensive) one since I would think those owners would take care not to bump their own doors into my NX.
I had my NX since last August. so we are about the same. I am still in the honeymoon as well.

when I go to supermarket I still park at the furthest spot where there is no car next to me,

I have thought about parking next to expensive cars but its likely they may leave before me and next person taking their spot wont be as careful.

And whenever I leave ample space next to me, for example, I am at the end of the carpark, the person taking the only spot next to me will ALWAYS park too close.
Old 01-26-16, 06:26 PM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attachment 378642
WTF kind of f'ed up park job is this by the Civic? I sure hope you were able to catch the driver and get recuperated for your damage.
Old 01-27-16, 03:14 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doomdealer
WTF kind of f'ed up park job is this by the Civic? I sure hope you were able to catch the driver and get recuperated for your damage.
He's got the plate number so I think he would be fine.

I'm just wondering, how did you manage to get out? Was there enough space out the back?

The panoramic camera does wonders. Seriously it does. It's like playing GTA in real life
Old 01-27-16, 04:49 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my CT200h on the way to dealer to pick up some papers a stone cracked the windshield. It had less than 100 miles on it. Then a girl hit my drivers side door at 356 miles. I almost sold the car thinking its cursed. New windshield in a car with 100 miles on it. I have glass coverage thank god. Her insurance paid to fix the door Lexus replaced the whole unit and it came out perfect.
We now have 17k on it with no new inci-dents.

Walmart is the king of dents. You could park in the woods across from it and some dipstick would still dent your door.

Quick Reply: NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread