NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 04:20 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishcak3s
Went out to eat last week and upon returning to my car a worker from the restaurant was leaning on my car while having a smoke. No damage but this grinds my gears....arggggg
You should have activated the panic alarm to scare this person, then say "Please get off my car!" I hate people like these who don't respect other people's belongings. I also see some people who feel entitled to use other people's cars as their giant, expensive drink coasters at some outdoor parties.

Originally Posted by online421
I scrapped my left front wheel (we are right hand drive here) while parking... just lightly but yeah... only after this incident I realised I can use the camera under the mirror to see how far you are from the curb.
Camera under the mirror on the NX?
Edit: I see you're from NZ. An option in your area? Nice!

Last edited by jbm79; 10-21-15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 05:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcak3s
Corrado, is that a scratch right at the corner of the headlights where the hood meets the corner of the lights?

A few months ago a rock on the highway bounced up in front of me and missed my hood, windshield but landed on my roof with a really really loud bang! a small dent like D4V1D's.

Went out to eat last week and upon returning to my car a worker from the restaurant was leaning on my car while having a smoke. No damage but this grinds my gears....arggggg
No, it's just a dried water spot.

I agree. Folks leaning on cars is one of my pet peeves as it clearly demonstrates a lack of respect for one“s property.
Old 11-09-15, 03:03 PM
MartinJX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be ancient history now, but while washing my NX I noticed a very similar perfectly straight "scratch" from one side of the roof to the other just aft of the windshield. It also looked as if it had gone down to the primer. The location precluded vandalism or accidental damage as a cause. Closer investigation with a fingernail indicated that it was actually a very fine line of high-tack adhesive of some kind. I haven't checked with the dealer, but a theory is that the cars have some protective sheets applied for shipping, and this is a trace following its removal. Wonder if your front fender/wing line might be a similar mark? Haven't yet tried to polish the mark on mine away as it's invisible from ground level and I don't want to damage the finish further.
Old 11-09-15, 07:52 PM
NXF2
Driver School Candidate

The dealership washed my Black NX... it's only a month old!

Old 11-09-15, 08:05 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NXF2
The dealership washed my Black NX... it's only a month old!
Is this your first black vehicle? It seems not uncommon that this happens with certain washing (or buffing) techniques and tools. My buddy at work had this happen to his new black Mercedes.

In your case, is it all over the vehicle or just in spots where they pushed too hard when buffing?
Old 11-09-15, 08:13 PM
NXF2
Driver School Candidate

Third Black vehicle. I've never had the clear coat look that bad before on a vehicle. I replaced a 7 year old Black vehicle with over 200,000km, with better looking paint.

Some of them are pretty deep, so not just washing technique, but swirling the dirt around - not pre-soaking or removing all debris first.

Took 25 minutes to polish a section of the hood with 4 grades of cutting compound. But now it looks better. The red circle is just to give perspective on the orientation of the photo...just a rock chip.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Is this your first black vehicle? It seems not uncommon that this happens with certain washing (or buffing) techniques and tools. My buddy at work had this happen to his new black Mercedes.

In your case, is it all over the vehicle or just in spots where they pushed too hard when buffing?
Old 11-09-15, 08:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by NXF2
Third Black vehicle. I've never had the clear coat look that bad before on a vehicle. I replaced a 7 year old Black vehicle with over 200,000km, with better looking paint.

Some of them are pretty deep, so not just washing technique, but swirling the dirt around - not pre-soaking or removing all debris first.

Took 25 minutes to polish a section of the hood with 4 grades of cutting compound. But now it looks better. The red circle is just to give perspective on the orientation of the photo...just a rock chip.

Big difference after the buffing!

I avoid dealer car washes. In fact I have a printed "NO CAR WASH PLEASE" in my glove box for both my cars - I take out when I service the vehicles!
Old 11-09-15, 09:03 PM
NXF2
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I should have thought of that. This is my first Lexus, so I am not used to having the dealer wash my vehicle. GM and Toyota do not, so I never thought they would touch it. Live and learn I guess.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Big difference after the buffing!

I avoid dealer car washes. In fact I have a printed "NO CAR WASH PLEASE" in my glove box for both my cars - I take out when I service the vehicles!
Old 11-09-15, 09:53 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by online421
I scrapped my left front wheel (we are right hand drive here) while parking... just lightly but yeah... only after this incident I realised I can use the camera under the mirror to see how far you are from the curb.
Wish we had the 360 camera here in Canada!
Old 11-09-15, 11:28 PM
md8
Driver School Candidate

Default Ding-ding

Happened in a parking lot only 20 mins after the first wax job. Was livid. Fortunately a local paintless dent removal guy reversed it in less than 10 mins. $60 USD

Last edited by md8; 11-09-15 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 08:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by md8

Happened in a parking lot only 20 mins after the first wax job. Was livid. Fortunately a local paintless dent removal guy reversed it in less than 10 mins. $60 USD
That's exactly the ding I got. $60 is cheap. Locally here, they want 150$
Old 11-10-15, 08:45 PM
md8
Driver School Candidate

That's exactly the ding I got. $60 is cheap. Locally here, they want 150$
At that price I'd be inclined to buy the tools. The guy I found (not body shop) via google had great reviews and works at home.
Old 11-11-15, 09:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by md8
At that price I'd be inclined to buy the tools. The guy I found (not body shop) via google had great reviews and works at home.
Yeah, thinking about doing it myself. I'm fairly DIY-inclined and I've taken apart door panels in past cars so I might get the urge to do this and carefully hammer out the small ding.

PS. Any idea how/what could have produced such a small pea-sized perfectly round indentation? I'm still trying to figure it out...
Old 11-11-15, 10:33 AM
md8
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, thinking about doing it myself. I'm fairly DIY-inclined and I've taken apart door panels in past cars so I might get the urge to do this and carefully hammer out the small ding.

PS. Any idea how/what could have produced such a small pea-sized perfectly round indentation? I'm still trying to figure it out...
This was massaged out by inserting a "tweeker" tool through the window opening of the door. Window was down and protected, of course. No hammer, no suctions, etc.

That the ding was like a ballpoint is baffling. No paint broken, no scratch. There was an older model Acura MDX in the adjacent parking space. Color was faded maroon and the license plate was...jk. I figure the rear side door of the MDX hit my NX. That door probably had a protective edge. Good for them, bad for me. Alternatively, someone smashed a ring on their finger while their hand was wrapped around that door edge. Any guess which theory I like better?
Old 11-11-15, 01:39 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by md8
Here's an interesting article about a paintless dent remover.

Quick Reply: NX Dings and Scratches Pics Thread