NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Door handle touch locking delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 12:46 PM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle touch locking delay

So it appears whenever I turn off the vehicle and put my thumb or index finger on the indention on the outside part of the door handle to lock it there is some delay. Up to several seconds. I've tried holding my finger on it, rubbing it along the groove, and putting my palm on it. I talked to the dealership technology expert and he said it should be responding within about 1 sec. I mean I'm lazy, but not that lazy that I can't migrate to using the key fob, but that defeats the purpose of those handles. I rather not be stuck in crappy weather rubbing my hand on the damn door handle trying to lock it though. Any one experiencing what I'm talking about or am I just too impatient (I AM).
Old 10-09-15, 12:55 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine usually locks within a second but occasionally it takes several tries to lock. I haven't fiqured out why this happens.
Old 10-09-15, 12:58 PM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by olgzr
Mine usually locks within a second but occasionally it takes several tries to lock. I haven't fiqured out why this happens.
Annoying for sure.
Old 10-09-15, 03:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I just tried locking mine (I rarely use the handle method) and it was almost instant (less than a second).

Could it be that your keyfob does not have a clear "view" of the door handle? In other words, could there be interference from things in your pocket, next to the fob?

Other things to try in order to narrow it down to the keyfob, the handles, or the environment:
  1. Test the other three door handles (not just once, but over the course of a day or two)
  2. Hold the keyfob in your hand as your lock the door with the handle
  3. Try your other fob.
  4. Change the battery in the fob
  5. Check that you don't have both fobs in close proximity to the handles when locking
  6. Do not grasp the handle as you are locking it. Simply use one finger with the other fingers out of the way.
  7. Remove any gloves you may be wearing.

Last edited by NXOwner; 10-21-15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 04:28 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Make sure your mobile phone is no where near the fob.
Old 10-09-15, 05:54 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Make sure your mobile phone is no where near the fob.
my keys and my cell phone are always kept in different pockets and it still happens to me.

and sometimes I even get a lock chime and then an unlock chime immediately after. but it doesn't unlock...just makes the chime. very weird.
Old 10-12-15, 10:34 AM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue. At times I touch it to lock and it locks no problem, other times it does not lock and I get frustrated, walk away and use my key fob instead.
Old 10-12-15, 10:06 PM
OnesickNX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened one night to me and the only thing different than usual was the weather was very cold. Not saying that this may be the issue but something to possibly consider. Wonder if anyone who lives in the snow can chime in on the operation of their door lock.
Old 10-12-15, 11:49 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnesickNX
This happened one night to me and the only thing different than usual was the weather was very cold. Not saying that this may be the issue but something to possibly consider. Wonder if anyone who lives in the snow can chime in on the operation of their door lock.
Temps of 80-100 degrees year-round here: This happens to me A LOT of times! I would touch the door lock sensor, and there is at least a 1.5 second delay before the doors actually lock and beep. The delay is so long that sometimes I would touch the door sensor a second time by instinct thinking I didn't touch the sensor, and it would lock/beep twice after the delay. It is a minor, but yet very annoying, issue. (My ES locks instantaneously).

Speaking of delays on the NX, opening the rear hatch is another annoyance, and I'm not referring to the speed of the motor opening it (that's another issue I'm aware of). My issue is when everything is locked and I try to open the rear hatch; the first touch of the button unlocks all the doors. I would press the button again, but the motor won't start opening it until after 3-4 seconds, which feels like an eternity. Add to those seconds the speed of the actual opening of the hatch...10-12 seconds just to open the hatch, anyone? In the rain? LOL!

I tried either (a) hold-pressing or (b) double pressing the open button. The delay is still there either way. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out!
Old 10-13-15, 04:10 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine locks instantly. My CT also locks instantly. Maybe the FOB needs a new battery.
Old 10-21-15, 07:35 AM
mike1021
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike1021
I am having the same issue. At times I touch it to lock and it locks no problem, other times it does not lock and I get frustrated, walk away and use my key fob instead.
I figured out why mine was not locking right away. I was gripping the door handle (touching the unlock sensor) while using my thumb to touch the lock sensor and therefore it caused the locking delay. I just tried it again and instead just used my index finger to touch the lock sensor without gripping the handle and it locked immediately. Hopefully this helps out others as well.
Old 10-21-15, 10:01 AM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike1021
I figured out why mine was not locking right away. I was gripping the door handle (touching the unlock sensor) while using my thumb to touch the lock sensor and therefore it caused the locking delay. I just tried it again and instead just used my index finger to touch the lock sensor without gripping the handle and it locked immediately. Hopefully this helps out others as well.
Ive been using my thumb or index finger and just either holding it in place or rubbing it back and forth a bit until it looks. Most times there is a delay and every once in a while an instant lock. Not working as intended lol