NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Possible new owner question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 05:40 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible new owner question

Hi all, forgive me if this has been covered, but it is a pain to search within this forum.

I am in Canada so this question applies to the CDN trims..

I am looking at the Executive or Fsport 2 models... I am trying to compare features but the lexus sites are pretty confusing when it comes to comparisons. Aside from the f-sport features, are there any differences between these 2 models? EG..One sheet says the fsport includes ventilated seats, and power back seats, and another sheet says that it doesn't... stuff like that.

Also, would anyone recommend the dealer extras at delivery? They are not being pushy by any means, but all these options are "recommended"

Platinum warranty includes 3 years maintenance, but I can't find any information on what that includes.

There is also:
Undercoat/Sound Shield Rust Protection
Rust Inhibitor Spray
Corrosion Control Module
Paint Protection
Leather Protection
Vehicle Armour (Which includes a bunch of other features.
PLATINUM SHEILD TIRE & RIM PROTECTION

Old 10-07-15, 11:50 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

The main features exclusive to the F-Sport Series 2 package is the adaptive variable suspension, general F-Sport enhancements (badging, aluminum pedals, more aggressively bolstered Nuluxe seats, G-meter, etc.) and cornering fog lamps. All of the tech features from Executive trim are included in the F-Sport 2 package. The only feature I’m not sure about is the power folding rear seats, which isn’t a biggie in my books.

Personally, I never get any additional features from the dealership because there is often better value and higher quality protection at independent shops. You should get a clear description of these ambiguous protection items (rust inhibitor spray, vehicle armour). If these are coatings, they are pretty much useless since they will wear off. The same goes for “paint protection” unless this is paint protection film (PPF). You will definitely get better PPF pricing and packages outside the dealer. As for undercoating and corrosion protection, there has always been conflicting opinions on whether these actually slow the formation of rust and this probably isn’t going to be an issue unless you plan to keep the vehicle for 10+ years. For the time and rim protection, consider whether that this includes another set of tires and wheels (for the winter set). Beware that 99% of these rim protection plans don’t cover cosmetic damage (curb rash) and only applies in the rare event the rim is damaged to the point that the tire cannot be properly inflated.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 10-07-15, 12:31 PM
cripsy
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by computerwi
Welcome to the forums!

The main features exclusive to the F-Sport Series 2 package is the adaptive variable suspension, general F-Sport enhancements (badging, aluminum pedals, more aggressively bolstered Nuluxe seats, G-meter, etc.) and cornering fog lamps. All of the tech features from Executive trim are included in the F-Sport 2 package. The only feature I’m not sure about is the power folding rear seats, which isn’t a biggie in my books.

Personally, I never get any additional features from the dealership because there is often better value and higher quality protection at independent shops. You should get a clear description of these ambiguous protection items (rust inhibitor spray, vehicle armour). If these are coatings, they are pretty much useless since they will wear off. The same goes for “paint protection” unless this is paint protection film (PPF). You will definitely get better PPF pricing and packages outside the dealer. As for undercoating and corrosion protection, there has always been conflicting opinions on whether these actually slow the formation of rust and this probably isn’t going to be an issue unless you plan to keep the vehicle for 10+ years. For the time and rim protection, consider whether that this includes another set of tires and wheels (for the winter set). Beware that 99% of these rim protection plans don’t cover cosmetic damage (curb rash) and only applies in the rare event the rim is damaged to the point that the tire cannot be properly inflated.

Good luck in your decision!

That is great! Thank you. I took a trip in for a test drive and the Fsport models do NOT have the ventilated seats. This is not a big deal because I prefer the styling of the Fsport over the others. I did forget to check the seats though..

As it turns out they happen to have one Brand new FSport 2. Obsidian black with the red interior.... This is the exact one that I wanted... So after some brief battles in my head, I decided to jump on it, since trying to find this one again would be difficult. With all the accessories I purchased, I managed to get $2000 off, as well as the $2000 dealer incentive.

I did get the Extra 72/120,000k platinum warranty, as I do plan on keeping it for many years. The maintenance package includes all oil/filter/tire roation services for 3 years.

I also got the paint protection film, Illuminated door sills, tinted fronts to match the rears.. and the tire/rim warranty which covers only the OEM wheels. The tire/rim warranty includes..

5 Year Tire and Rim Protection: $399+hst

· Covers damaged tire and rims due to road hazards

· Flat tire repair

· Replace un-repairable punctured tires

· Replace rim if damaged and won’t hold air inside the tire (for example, if you drive over a pot hole, causes the rim to bend and not hold air inside the tire, we would replace the tire and rim)

· All taxes are included in protection

· No deductible

· Mounting, balancing, and installation included

· Covers original OR replacement tires

o Will not cover rim damage caused by snow/salt

o Covers rim if damaged and won’t hold air inside the tires

With all the accessories I purchased, I managed to get $2000 off, as well as the $2000 dealer incentive.
I am super excited, and I pick it up this Friday. I will post pics in the new owners thread when I get the chance!!!!
Old 10-07-15, 04:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats on your F Sport Series 2 and love the color combo! You won't regret it especially the AVS which smooths out the bumps. Post pics in the sticky Pics thread!

To add to computerwii, what the F Sport Series 2 doesn't get that the Executive gets:

- Leather and ventilated seating
- Shimamoku wood trim
- Power rear seat
- Light headliner (vs black on F Sport)
Old 10-07-15, 08:20 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Very interesting that the F-Sport doesn't have ventilated seats. That was fixed for the 2015 IS and it's odd they wouldn't implement the same seat technology for the same MY.
Old 10-07-15, 08:24 PM
NXF2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice on the F2. I also briefly considered the executive, but chose the F2 because the differences with the executive package didn't matter to me (power rear seats, leather and ventilated seats).

I took the F1 and F2 for extended test drives, and the F2 with AVS had me sold. I live in Edmonton, so finding a bunch of bumpy roads / construction pylons to weave in/out of was easy.
Old 10-07-15, 08:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

With the lengthened oil change intervals (10,000 km or every year), this really isn't much even if you paid for oil changes yourself. I imagine in the first 3 years, all you will need is 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations, maybe less if you have winter tires.

I did get similar tire/rim coverage on my IS. The dealer told me it would ~$700 per wheel if replacement was ever needed. A few months later, I bought a set of wheels for winter tires and it only ended up costing $330 per wheel... Even with Edmonton's pothole covered roads, I have never damaged a rim due to a road hazard. If one tire was damaged and needed to be replaced, beware the warranty usually does not cover the 3 other tires that the dealer will force you to replace. That's my two cents on the tire warranty.

Glad to you on the board. I sometimes wish I had gotten the F-Sport 2 instead, but I found the seats were too bolstered and there were some members on the forums here that were complaining of back pain on long trips. Hopefully, that is not the case for you.
Old 10-07-15, 10:20 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cripsy
...tinted fronts to match the rears.. ...
Excuse my nescience, but what is tinted—the front windows?
Old 10-08-15, 02:27 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats on your F Sport Series 2 and love the color combo! You won't regret it especially the AVS which smooths out the bumps. Post pics in the sticky Pics thread!

To add to computerwii, what the F Sport Series 2 doesn't get that the Executive gets:

- Leather and ventilated seating
- Shimamoku wood trim
- Power rear seat
- Light headliner (vs black on F Sport)

Hey thanks... I also did not realize that the seats are not leather?
Old 10-08-15, 02:28 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by NXF2
Good choice on the F2. I also briefly considered the executive, but chose the F2 because the differences with the executive package didn't matter to me (power rear seats, leather and ventilated seats).

I took the F1 and F2 for extended test drives, and the F2 with AVS had me sold. I live in Edmonton, so finding a bunch of bumpy roads / construction pylons to weave in/out of was easy.

Yes the AVS, and the overall appearance is what sold me.
Old 10-08-15, 02:31 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by computerwi
With the lengthened oil change intervals (10,000 km or every year), this really isn't much even if you paid for oil changes yourself. I imagine in the first 3 years, all you will need is 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations, maybe less if you have winter tires.

I did get similar tire/rim coverage on my IS. The dealer told me it would ~$700 per wheel if replacement was ever needed. A few months later, I bought a set of wheels for winter tires and it only ended up costing $330 per wheel... Even with Edmonton's pothole covered roads, I have never damaged a rim due to a road hazard. If one tire was damaged and needed to be replaced, beware the warranty usually does not cover the 3 other tires that the dealer will force you to replace. That's my two cents on the tire warranty.

Glad to you on the board. I sometimes wish I had gotten the F-Sport 2 instead, but I found the seats were too bolstered and there were some members on the forums here that were complaining of back pain on long trips. Hopefully, that is not the case for you.

True about the oil changes.. but that is just one benefit..

I live in Ontario and our winters are horrible for potholes and road damage caused by the snow plows..having to replace an 18" tire alone would be costly.

I am not sure on the seat comfort... Mine will be just for short trips, we have a larger vehicle for the longer rides...
Old 10-08-15, 02:43 AM
cripsy
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Excuse my nescience, but what is tinted—the front windows?

The rear passenger windows have a privacy tint on them, the front windows do not. So I added the tints to match the rears.
Old 10-08-15, 07:06 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

The rear passenger windows have a privacy tint on them, the front windows do not. So I added the tints to match the rears.
That's what I was thinking you were referring to. I just had my fronts tinted yesterday.

Congrats on your new ride!
Old 10-08-15, 08:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hey thanks... I also did not realize that the seats are not leather?
Even some automotive journalists have been fooled.

Material is synthetic called Nuluxe and looks and feels like real leather while being more durable.