NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Faulty shock-absorber

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 07:07 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty shock-absorber

First up, very sorry if this issue has been addressed before but I could not pull up any related discussions.

I picked up my NX from the Lexus dealership here in Dubai this past August and have since clocked in about 3,000 KM (1850 miles) on the vehicle. However, as of late I have been experiencing an unnaturally loud knocking sound from the front left end whenever I speed over road imperfections or humps. I am not sure if this sound was there when I bought the vehicle (maybe it was) but needless to say, its a cause of concern (especially in a city like Dubai where all inter-city road limits are 75 mph+).

The dealership says its a faulty shock-absorber and it will take them up to 40 days to get a replacement flown in from Japan (absurd).

My question is - is it safe to drive the car at high speeds owing to a faulty shock-absorber? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 10-03-15, 07:17 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well....this could be handled several different ways.

1. You tell your dealership you are not damaging your front suspension any further, and you demand a loaner until the part arrives. This is a warranty issue, so they at MINIMUM owe you a loaner.

2. Tell your dealer that is unacceptable and tell them to source the part from somewhere else. There has to be a supply of them somewhere in the US at a warehouse you could get shipped to you more quickly. Then repeat #1 until it arrives.

3. You can continue to drive the car. Some lazy cheapskates will drive their cars for years on broken shocks. However, it is not good for your steering rack, a-arms, nor your tires as your front end geometry will eventually go to hell.

That's about all I can offer...sorry
Old 10-03-15, 07:24 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Swacer. This is extremely helpful (especially point # 3). I will go back to them and ask for a loaner as I have no intention of damaging the suspension.

On a separate note, I think this is quite a prevalent issue..at least here in Dubai, the dealership guys were saying that have already encountered a few faulty shock-absorbers issues and its only been a few months since the release of the NX here.
Old 10-04-15, 05:14 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Well....this could be handled several different ways.

1. You tell your dealership you are not damaging your front suspension any further, and you demand a loaner until the part arrives. This is a warranty issue, so they at MINIMUM owe you a loaner.

2. Tell your dealer that is unacceptable and tell them to source the part from somewhere else. There has to be a supply of them somewhere in the US at a warehouse you could get shipped to you more quickly. Then repeat #1 until it arrives.

3. You can continue to drive the car. Some lazy cheapskates will drive their cars for years on broken shocks. However, it is not good for your steering rack, a-arms, nor your tires as your front end geometry will eventually go to hell.

That's about all I can offer...sorry

US doesn't have the shock he needs just overseas and Canada from the looks of it. (AVS)
Old 10-04-15, 04:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

OP, do you have AVS? (If you're not sure, check your Drive Mode selector ****. If you have "Sport S/S+", you have AVS).

I have AVS, so far no issues.
Old 10-25-15, 11:51 PM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

@ corradoMR2, Thanks, I didn't go for the F-Sport version so no AVS for me.
Old 10-25-15, 11:58 PM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: Faulty shock-absorber

Update:

So I finally got a call from the Lexus Service Center (after a 3 week wait) with the confirmation that the replacement shock is available and it would take them a day to replace it.

Picked up my car late last night and much to my dismay, the sound was still there. Called them back today and they are now saying that a "rubber molding" in the shock bay would need to be replaced as the thickness of the existing one is what is causing the clunking sound. It is quite frustrating that they could not pick this up the first time around and now I have to wait for another 2 weeks for them to order this part from Japan.

Has anyone else faced the same issue? The Service Center guys seems to have known about this issue. Could it be a latent defect?
Old 10-28-15, 11:58 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

The service techs at your dealer are not thorough or passionate about maintenance. In other words, they don't give a hoot. Have I faced the same issue? Sort of. After purchasing our '11 RX CPO, we found out the wheel locks were on so tight, they wouldn't come off. An oversight by the person certifying the car. The locks came off after much cajoling at the dealer. I said "Plain lug nuts for me". Fortunately, no charge.
BTW, my experience of shocks is that faulty ones leak, but don't clunk. Faulty shock mounts do clunk, as on my right front '97Toyota Avalon.
Latent defect? Probably not. Factory defect under warranty? Definitely.
Is there another dealer in Dubai with a better reputation for excellent service?

Last edited by raylor4; 10-29-15 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-29-15, 04:00 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
The service techs at your dealer are not thorough or passionate about maintenance. In other words, they don't give a hoot. Have I faced the same issue? Sort of. After purchasing our '11 RX CPO, we found out the wheel locks were on so tight, they wouldn't come off. An oversight by the person certifying the car. The locks came off after much cajoling at the dealer. I said "Plain lug nuts for me". Fortunately, no charge.
BTW, my experience of shocks is that faulty ones leak, but don't clunk. Faulty shock mounts do clunk, as on my right front '97Toyota Avalon.
Latent defect? Probably not. Factory defect under warranty? Definitely.
Is there another dealer in Dubai with a better reputation for excellent service?
Thanks, Raylor. I agree, they should have been more thorough with their interim checks.

No other "authorized" service center apart from this, I'm afraid.