NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 06:39 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
Daiso here is AUD$2.80. Some of the newer stores have multiple tier pricing like $1.80, $2.80, $5.80 for a wider variety of stuff.
Thanks for the info. Price is not bad. Thanks to DAISO (& SERIA) as their products are sometimes very inspiring.
Old 02-04-16, 02:57 PM
razcap1668
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Screen

Wow, my screen is doing exactly the same thing. I just noticed it a few days ago. I've had my Nx for 1 year. When I wipe the screen, I use a barely damp Norwex microfiber cloth. I haven't had it through a car wash for over a month, so if it was because of something that was sprayed on by the carwash, why would it just be showing up now. I'm glad you got your screen replaced. I took my car into Bergstrom Lexus in Appleton, WI, this past Monday to show this to them. They stated that they have to check with the district manager to see if they will replace it and get back to me in a day, I am still waiting 3 days later, not a word back, giving them 1 more day then calling them. I'm going to share this thread with them. Thanks for posting...anyone else having this issue??
Old 02-04-16, 05:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Yes, show them this thread. Dealer replaced mine last week under warranty.

Old 02-05-16, 05:51 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Yes, show them this thread. Dealer replaced mine last week under warranty.
So... Are you going to keep that screen protector from the factory on?
Old 02-06-16, 09:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
So... Are you going to keep that screen protector from the factory on?
I did actually for a few days, but off now
Old 02-09-16, 09:24 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

well, I recently noticed there were what looks like scratches going from left to right on the screen. I had wiped the screen with a microfiber towel a little while ago, but just noticed the lines when the sun hits the display.

So I hoped to wipe the lines away with a tissue. Didn't work, and I noticed what seemed to be a new mark just from the tissue wiping. Little dab of water on the tissue and I wiped that mark - hey, it's getting bigger.

I then use a flashlight to look at the screen, and noticed other areas with little spots where I assume the coating has come off.

Just dropped it off for 10K maintenance and brought this up.
Old 02-09-16, 01:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by typocl
well, I recently noticed there were what looks like scratches going from left to right on the screen. I had wiped the screen with a microfiber towel a little while ago, but just noticed the lines when the sun hits the display.

So I hoped to wipe the lines away with a tissue. Didn't work, and I noticed what seemed to be a new mark just from the tissue wiping. Little dab of water on the tissue and I wiped that mark - hey, it's getting bigger.

I then use a flashlight to look at the screen, and noticed other areas with little spots where I assume the coating has come off.

Just dropped it off for 10K maintenance and brought this up.

Yep, exactly my discovery process as well.

I haven't attempted wiping my newly replaced NAV screen nor do I want to risk doing so. I may look into a screen protector as some have posted prior.
The following users liked this post:
bmwlexus09 (02-18-18)
Old 02-09-16, 01:33 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yep, exactly my discovery process as well.

I haven't attempted wiping my newly replaced NAV screen nor do I want to risk doing so. I may look into a screen protector as some have posted prior.
I don't know about that. The screen should not be so delicate. Dust will get on it and needs to be wiped away. And people sneeze, so that requires a little more cleaning effort. It should survive that.

Seems like a prime example of a defect that should be fixed properly (maybe they add a screen protector??)
Old 02-09-16, 04:44 PM
typocl
Instructor

new screen is on order - this will make the 3rd one my dealership has dealt with.

I'm going to try to take pictures. But I'm also going to try and remove the entire coating and see how that is driving around.

The service advisor says the new screens the tech has installed appear to have a better coating.

Before my warranty is up, I'll be cleaning this once a week...
Old 02-09-16, 06:58 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

CT200t originally came out with power folding Nav screens in 2011 but then went to a fixed piece in 2014
Old 02-09-16, 09:40 PM
typocl
Instructor

so, using a microfiber towel and glass cleaner, I'm able to get rid of about 1" of the coating around the edge of the display, which leaves a rectangular section in the middle that's not coming off easily. Which to me, proves it's a defect, a rather odd defect.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try on the middle section? I think I have about 5 days before the part comes in and I bring it in for replacement.
Old 02-09-16, 10:58 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I use an NX Nav cover—a black, protective, microfibre protective cover whenever I go to a detailing shop or car wash. I made it myself. Not only does it protect from overspray, but sends a message that says, "do not touch!" LOL!
Old 02-11-16, 08:17 PM
typocl
Instructor

this is what my screen looks like after trying to remove the rest of the coating

the middle rectangular section and the stuff you see at the very bottom is the parts of the coating I couldn't easily remove

while driving, it looks fine. I have to look really hard to see the difference. I haven't had the chance to see how it looks when the sun hits it. I do notice that it does have less glare on the parts that are still coated.
Old 02-11-16, 09:21 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I made a custom screen protector for my NX.

It reaches the corners, but the border seems to be curved. Close enough for me so I can wipe the screen easily. Just got it at Daiso and use a Stanley knife to cut it to shape.

Old 02-20-16, 05:45 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AAUURRGH!!!

It's now happened to me!
And I think my situation proves just HOW delicate these screens are - I was having lunch a couple days ago, and it was lightly snowing out. As I headed back to my NX to leave, I opened the door and a few snowflakes blew in and landed right on the top edge of the screen. I noticed it and immediately blew them off, but of course they had already started to melt, and now the upper edge has a series of "seepage" marks.

It is VERY noticeable in the sunlight - looks horrible!

Going to talk with my service advisor, who has always been amazing, and hope they'll do the right thing and replace it.

More to come...

Best,
dCota

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?