NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 11:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bionictony
looks like the anti-glare coating is coming off. cleaning solvents might be the cause. the cover is nice. lexus should have designed it where the screen folds and tucks away.
Agreed! I don't really like this new trend of mounting the screen on the dash with no protection. One careless mistake, and it's a hefty repair bill.

Hopefully it was just a defect, and others won't experience this outside warranty a few years down the road.
Old 12-28-15, 08:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bionictony
looks like the anti-glare coating is coming off. cleaning solvents might be the cause.
I would have to agree with this, except it is peeling off on mine with a simple rub of a damp microfiber cloth. No cleaning solvents used as I was well aware of this thread/issue, yet being careful was fruitless. Clearly a defect.

I contacted my dealer, waiting on a reply.

Anyone wipe their screens and result? How about those who got theirs replaced (i.e. NX Owner)? No issues after wiping?

Old 12-28-15, 12:05 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We had our car detailed and they got something on the screen. I think it was whatever they put on the dash. I used a microfiber cloth and water to clean it. I rubbed very gently and have no problems with peeling. (Not yet anyway)

Last edited by olgzr; 12-29-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 12:39 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Anyone wipe their screens and result? How about those who got theirs replaced (i.e. NX Owner)? No issues after wiping?
I'm sorry to see that your screen is starting to peel.

I have not wiped mine since the replacement was installed. When I go to the car wash, I cover it using my custom nav screen microfibre cover so that the workers won't accidentally spray cleaner on it while cleaning the windshield & dash.

Old 12-28-15, 01:45 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder how bad the glare (if that's the coating that's coming off) is if you just rub and get rid of the rest. If that started happening to mine, I would prefer to do that until they have a better fix than replacing it.
Old 12-28-15, 01:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by typocl
I wonder how bad the glare (if that's the coating that's coming off) is if you just rub and get rid of the rest. If that started happening to mine, I would prefer to do that until they have a better fix than replacing it.
Yeah, was thinking of doing it but I stopped so that I show the screen to my dealer and how easily it rubs off with a damp clean MF cloth! I have an appointment tomorrow. Personally, I think replacing the screen is overkill if and only if, rubbing off that coating does not affect visual performance. But, if it does, then I will surely want it replaced.
Old 12-28-15, 02:50 PM
NXOwner
Racer

...I think replacing the screen is overkill if and only if, rubbing off that coating does not affect visual performance. But, if it does, then I will surely want it replaced.
I wouldn't phrase it to the dealer that way because then, they will be inclined to say that it does not affect visual performance in order to save money.

I belive the whole unit is "plug-n-play", so it's not that overkill, and can be replaced in a matter of minutes. I would imagine (given the fragile nature of the coating) that Lexus has plenty of display units to be used for replacements.
Old 12-28-15, 02:53 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Could the coating be more than just anti-glare? ... Could it also be anti-static to protect the display unit?
Old 12-28-15, 03:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

I was worried this would happen to our new RX since it has the new dash design of having the screen perched on the dash without protection, so I went online to find a screen protector. Unfortunately it seems like no one has one for the shape of the RX's 12.3" screen. Then I found a company willing to custom make one for me that has antireflective technology. They don't have one posted for the NX yet, but if someone is willing to measure and send them the measurements, they can make one so that you guys wouldn't have to worry about this problem.

Here's the website:
http://www.nushield.com

I went with DayVue because it was the clearest and seemed to be the best option for automotive use.
Old 12-28-15, 03:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by dchar
Unfortunately it seems like no one has one for the shape of the RX's 12.3" screen. Then I found a company willing to custom make one for me that has antireflective technology. They don't have one posted for the NX yet, but if someone is willing to measure and send them the measurements, they can make one so that you guys wouldn't have to worry about this problem.
Just buy the film in a size larger than you need and trim it to fit.
Old 12-28-15, 04:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Just buy the film in a size larger than you need and trim it to fit.
I could...but the RX screen isn't rectangular like the NX, more like a trapezoid. So NX owners could cut their own, but I'm providing a link to somewhere they can just purchase and install themselves. It's not that expensive for them to make it for me. I think I'd rather pay to have the film than waste time and stress arguing with a dealer.
Old 12-28-15, 09:09 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary. I understand that chemicals can harm it but the screen should be designed to withstand it. Common dash and windshield cleaning fluids should have been tested (if that is the cause here). I will have to make sure never to let my wife take it for a car wash. She recently got it done from the dealer - thats the last time its seeing an automated wash.
Old 12-29-15, 05:50 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to agree with this, except it is peeling off on mine with a simple rub of a damp microfiber cloth. No cleaning solvents used as I was well aware of this thread/issue, yet being careful was fruitless. Clearly a defect.

I contacted my dealer, waiting on a reply.

Not a defect. It happens on the IS too. I didn't like the look so I removed the anti glare coating using an alcohol rub......

And guess what....... makes F all difference to the visual qualit, in fact the screen looks sharper
Old 12-29-15, 02:38 PM
NXOwner
Racer

I have an appointment tomorrow.
Well?.....
Old 12-29-15, 05:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Car is in for the tapping rattle I have too. They said they will be likely removing the screen, sending it to Lexus for analysis for which case I'd be getting a new one.

Quick Reply: This Shouldn't Happen to the Nav Screen, Right?