NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Seat Cover Finally Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 04:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seat Cover Finally Replaced

As many of you know (and I'm sorry for creating a new thread, but I don't want to find the old one), one of the several issues I had with my NX was a terrible crease in my passenger seat from the day I bought the car. I first identified it a couple days after buying the car in May. I raised the concern to my dealer and they seemed less than interested in fixing it. After complaining for a while, they offered to have their leather guy take a look at it, this was July. He took a look at it and said that he would not be able to pull the stitiching and it would require a new seat cover.

The district manager came, a guy from Lexus Japan came, and blah blah blah. Finally, I was told I was approved to have a new seat cover put on. If you ask me, the money spent to "look" at the seat was probably more than it cost to REPLACE it.

So after waiting 2 more months (which was some of my own waiting as I didn't want to take the car in yet again until the 5k mile maintenance) they finally replaced the seat cover.

Its finally perfect and matches my driver side.

Scary thing...and I'm sure MR2 will remember....that sound in my door.....I didn't hear it when I picked up the car...didn't hear it on the way to work this morning either. Could it have been in the defective seat cover? Or perhaps wires under it? Or even did they fix the door and didn't tell me anything? (Which is funny if they did considering they had my car for 2 days and couldn't "find" any source to the noise). I'm sure it will return, but its nice to not hear rattling for the first time. I always hated that my Camaro with headers, had no rattles, while my luxury SUV rattled to death. lol
Old 10-02-15, 01:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

This reminds me of when I pointed out misaligned stitching on my 2IS' passenger seat headrest where they immediately replaced it without fuss. Lexus takes care of the customer and we see that again here.

So, nice to see they replaced the seat bottom and who knows, the rattle could have been related. But not to put a downer, my experience with Lexus squeaks and minor rattles has most often been temperature related so as the temps cool down approaching winter, expect the odd noise, but hope for none. Post a pic of the new seat bottom.

P.S. to be clear, they replaced the entire seat bottom cushion?
Old 10-02-15, 01:55 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I think its a Toyota issue in general. My wife's old tC used to be great when it was warm, but once the temperature dropped below 20F, the hatch would begin to sing loudly.

They replaced the seat cushion and cover. It comes altogether.
Old 10-02-15, 03:28 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
My wife's old tC used to be great when it was warm, but once the temperature dropped below 20F, the hatch would begin to sing loudly.
Scions are notorious for rattles (at least the two Scion xBs that my Uber drivers had).
Old 10-05-15, 10:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Its just because they are a cheap car, a lot of plastic. If it hadn't been for a hillbilly who decided to tailgate a tractor trailer through an intersection and smashed into our tC, we'd still have that car.

That car was "cheap" but my god was it reliable. It was a fantastic car.
Old 10-06-15, 02:47 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
That car was "cheap" but my god was it reliable.
That's how I felt about my wife's last car, the CX-5. The car was cursed! In the two years we owned it, as a result of my wife accidentally driving off the roads edge, it developed a bulge in one tire and all four had to be replaced (AWD), one rim was flat spotted and had to be corrected, the drivers door was hit in a parking lot, a mysterious scuff on the front left fascia was found (weird), and it was hit at about 30 MPH by a drunk driver while at a stop light on Thanksgiving night while I was coming home from a Black Friday sale. I told her it was cursed and had to go...immediately, before someone actually gets hurt! BUT, the damn thing was solid as a rock as far as reliability, even after the repairs. No rattles, even. Just cursed...