Don't Hold Your Breath for a Lexus Crossover Smaller than the NX

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 03:49 PM
DShiekhi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Hold Your Breath for a Lexus Crossover Smaller than the NX

Don't Hold Your Breath for a Lexus Crossover Smaller than the NX

August was <a href="https://www.clublexus.com/articles/lexus-sells-most-luxury-cars-for-second-straight-month/" target="_blank"><strong>a great month for Lexus in general and the NX in particular.</strong></a> If the brand's smallest crossover is doing so well, why not test the waters and go even smaller?

Read the rest on the ClubLexus.com homepage. >>
Old 09-28-15, 05:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally have zero interest in a smaller NX. Its already borderline for me. Any smaller and I'd just stick to a sedan.
Old 09-29-15, 02:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would someone want smaller than the NX?

And they do already have one...its called the IS.
Old 09-29-15, 03:25 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^Technically the CT is the smallest of the Lexus lineup and I have to agree, personally a CT-sized 5-door on stilts like the GLA is to the A-class, is not for me. However, is Lexus losing out on this trending segment - X1, GLA, Q3 and risks being late to the party like the NX was?
Old 09-29-15, 03:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^Technically the CT is the smallest of the Lexus lineup and I have to agree, personally a CT-sized 5-door on stilts like the GLA is to the A-class, is not for me. However, is Lexus losing out on this trending segment - X1, GLA, Q3 and risks being late to the party like the NX was?
Honestly, I think the X1 and GLA are ugly as #(* cars. They aren't quite a CUV, but they are too obtuse to be a car.
Old 09-29-15, 04:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Honestly, I think the X1 and GLA are ugly as #(* cars. They aren't quite a CUV, but they are too obtuse to be a car.
Yeah, the GLA doesn't gel with me either with its frumpy looks. The '16 X1 though looks less wagon-like and more "SUV-like" which gets some visual points for me, but it's now based on the Mini-FWD platform which BMW-loyalists are...

Old 09-29-15, 04:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, the GLA doesn't gel with me either with its frumpy looks. The '16 X1 though looks less wagon-like and more "SUV-like" which gets some visual points for me, but it's now based on the Mini-FWD platform which BMW-loyalists are...

Saying that anything is Mini based is enough to send people running. What trash cars...
Old 09-29-15, 11:17 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Question Define CUV

Folks here tend to mix acronyms and their meanings.

What are you guys' definition of CUV? Is it Compact Utility Vehicle (small SUV)? Is it Crossover Utility Vehicle (based on a car chassis)?

I'm sure some of you will quote and link to definitions from the internet, but even then (depending on which sites you visit) the meaning of CUV can be ambiguous.
Old 09-29-15, 12:28 PM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought of a CUV as something that is cross platform. SRX (CTS pre redesign), Q3 (A3), Mazda C* (3, 6), etc.
Old 09-29-15, 01:33 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Folks here tend to mix acronyms and their meanings.

What are you guys' definition of CUV? Is it Compact Utility Vehicle (small SUV)? Is it Crossover Utility Vehicle (based on a car chassis)?

I'm sure some of you will quote and link to definitions from the internet, but even then (depending on which sites you visit) the meaning of CUV can be ambiguous.
Nearly every internet-based reference I can find says something very much like this (from Wikipedia, with my emphasis):
A crossover, also known as a crossover utility vehicle (CUV), is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback.
Old 09-29-15, 01:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Nearly every internet-based reference I can find says something very much like this (from Wikipedia, with my emphasis):
A crossover, also known as a crossover utility vehicle (CUV), is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback.
That's a good explanation. Since the segment is growing so much you now have sub-compact, compact, mid-size etc. segments of CUV's.
Old 09-29-15, 01:40 PM
NXOwner
Racer

I had read that on Wikipedia. So, as I suspected, the NX is a Compact SUV and not a CUV.
Old 09-29-15, 01:42 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I had read that on Wikipedia. So, as I suspected, the NX is a Compact SUV and not a CUV.
That would be my opinion, yes.
Old 09-29-15, 01:51 PM
NXOwner
Racer

That would be my opinion, yes.
That makes sense because I would consider the BMW X1 and Mercedes GLA as CUVs (crossover utility vehicles) since they both look like sedans—more specifically, like station wagons!
Old 09-29-15, 02:06 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes in hindsight that's what I think makes the NX feel like its less robust. It lacks a truck chassis.

Quick Reply: Don't Hold Your Breath for a Lexus Crossover Smaller than the NX