NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Buying Maintenance Package Post Sale?

Old 09-20-15, 12:06 PM
Pjriverap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Maintenance Package Post Sale?

Hi Everyone - on second thought, I'm looking to purchase the prepaid maintenance package post sale for my new NX. Does anyone know of any dealerships that sell them over the phone or online for a great deal? I was able do this for an old Acura and saved a great deal. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited by Pjriverap; 09-20-15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 12:47 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The ablity to save money on a maintenance plan is entirely dependent upon your ability to do work on the car yourself.

A dealership assumes that most owners are incompetent morons. That is why a cabin air filter replacement is $100, when the filter itself is $20 and and take 15 minutes of your time to install. So, is $80 worth a moment of your time?

Same with air filters, oil changes (this is the only one I'm willing to pay for up front while under warranty), and flushes.

Everything is overpriced for what you get, and many of the items can be done yourself for cheap.

So depends....how well do you wanna know your car?
Old 11-22-15, 02:01 PM
coooolwhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pjriverap
Hi Everyone - on second thought, I'm looking to purchase the prepaid maintenance package post sale for my new NX. Does anyone know of any dealerships that sell them over the phone or online for a great deal? I was able do this for an old Acura and saved a great deal. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Purchased this through Lexus of Englewood in Jersey. Didn't know they had it, they offered it to me. Like the other post says, if you're lazy to do a lot of the work like me it's worth it if you plan on going to the dealer for each of the scheduled maintenance as you will end up saving a few hundred dollars. They originally offered it at a higher price to me, I told them I was not interested then later on asked if I would be willing to sign up if they offered a 10% discount.
Old 11-22-15, 06:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

My advice is building upon others.

1) If you dont have time to figure out the basics of the car, just want 2 maximize your time elsewhere, get it, (you can negotatie the price with other dealers if need be).

2) If you dont mind researching, check up what Lexus's maintenance schedule looks like. If it still is basic 30 point inspection, oil change filters every 20K then I`d pass on the plan. That wont cost you anywhere near the maintenance program cost. If its more demanding, like valve adjustment (hypothetically speaking), tranny flush, diff flush etc I would consider figuring out your own DIY/Indy skill/Cost. Then determining what its worth to ya.

3) if you are DIY person skip it.
Old 11-22-15, 06:39 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my plan...

I plan to go in to service at every 10k interval and get a basic oil change, tire rotation and check up.

Every 30k interval, I plan to get the full package service.

From my experience, I find that doing the full tune up every 30k and just doing basic oil change service in between is really all you need to keep the car running well.

Last edited by tresmith00; 11-22-15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 07:51 AM
coooolwhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by Lexus that If I go get my maintenance done by any place other than a Lexus dealer my warranty will be void. He didn't say could, but said will.
Is this true or is he full of it?

Also here's the maintenance schedule for the other poster:

http://www.bayridgelexus.com/Maintenance-Schedule
Old 11-23-15, 11:37 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coooolwhip
I was told by Lexus that If I go get my maintenance done by any place other than a Lexus dealer my warranty will be void. He didn't say could, but said will.

Trying to fear monger into a sale I see.

Ya, contrary to what dealers spew, unless Lexus has become in charge of US Law, that does not hold salt in any court.

As long as the vehicle was serviced correctly, and I mean oil changes done at proper intervals, you have receipts of everything they really cannot deny coverage.

Now what I can see happening is, a dealer who offers **** poor service since warranty claims are no profit to them, and who need to up-sell maintenance coverage makes it a living pain to get your car serviced starts spewing crap
Old 11-23-15, 11:40 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coooolwhip

BTW, as I suspected, unless the NX has a different more specific maintenance schedule, all the services are basically the following:

1) Oil Change
2) Air Filter changes (engine and cabin)
3) Tire rotation, and balance
4-100) A GAZILLION WORDY inspections LOL

Im sorry but, the most each service would be outside would be about $100-150. DIY and your down to the $50-100

Similar questions had been asked on the latest gen IS section, and one poster had the same advice
Old 11-24-15, 06:47 AM
raymondzzd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just check with my Lexus dealer in Toronto, Canada yesterday. We have to take the car to a shop that pays tax (not necessary a Lexus dealer) to do services, or the warranty is void. So no DIY for Canadians...
and they don's sell pre-purchase maintenance package.
Old 11-24-15, 06:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raymondzzd
I just check with my Lexus dealer in Toronto, Canada yesterday. We have to take the car to a shop that pays tax (not necessary a Lexus dealer) to do services, or the warranty is void. So no DIY for Canadians...
Oh boy...here we go again. No warranty is "void"....ever. They can simply decide not to do work on your car, and then you can call corporate and voice your case.

And I call bluff on that. If you can present receipts for that parts being purchased, they have no right to say you can't work on your car.

Ford tried to work that BS legislation through a couple months ago making it illegal for your to touch your car, and that was laughed right out of the US Senate.

Car companies are delusional.
Old 11-24-15, 05:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raymondzzd
Sometimes you need to school the idiots who blurb this crap out. After they say that, you should kindly request a copy of the Lexus warranty agreement that states this in b&w. Wait and possibly snap that rxn you will receive or possibly backpedaling.
Old 11-24-15, 06:54 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Oh boy...here we go again. No warranty is "void"....ever ...
Ford tried to work that BS legislation through a couple months ago making it illegal for your to touch your car, and that was laughed right out of the US Senate.
What was the name of the congressional act? Didn't it start with an "M"?
Old 11-24-15, 07:04 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

By the way ...

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.
Read more from the FTC at this FTC page.
Old 11-25-15, 05:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXOwner
What was the name of the congressional act? Didn't it start with an "M"?
Magnuson Moss Act...aka Magnuson Moss Modding Act

Not quite applicable to this situation, as this act protects the customer from the dealership refusing to do warranty work due to modding that plainly did not cause the problem. For example, they can't say that my cam install caused my A/C to stop working.
Old 11-25-15, 05:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXOwner
By the way ...

Read more from the FTC at this FTC page.
Music to my ears

As long as you have all supporting paperwork (receipts) for normal maintenance, they can't deny anything.

We also have to separate the words "deny" and "void". Any dealership can "deny" to do work on your car, which per the FTC is illegal. They have to provide sound legal reason for why they don't want to work on it. "Void" is a legal term in which the car company itself has determined that your car is no longer covered due to a self imposed situation. For example, when I tuned my car, the powertrain warranty was legally "void" because I was now running outside of the factory approved perimeters, which now has the potential to damage the car in a manner outside what it was designed. At that point, a dealership now has the right to "deny" to work on my car.

For those of you who wish to mod with items such as springs or coil overs, you also bring yourself into this. You have "voided" part of your powertrain warranty as the suspension can be tied into the half shafts, into the diff, into the drive shafts, and back to the motor. Now, you go to the dealership because your A/C stopped working, they can not "deny" you as this part of your warranty is not "void" in any manner.

I could keep going, but I think you get the idea.

Last edited by Swacer; 11-25-15 at 05:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Maintenance Package Post Sale?