NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX vs. Current RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 10:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a good review and comparison. Thanks.

If I would determine a swap out, I would wait for the new RX. Being that I am a couple years from a kid, got the time to wait out those first year jitters again hahahaha

Tho, wife likes the Z06, so might just keep the NX and add the Z in a couple years and consider it done hahah
Old 09-19-15, 11:59 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For those of you who "swap" your current vehicle to another one after six months: I assume you're not leasing, as I think the "out" there is onerous. Did you pay cash originally, or did you finance the vehicle? Either way, I assume you're just eating the depreciation (in effect, dumping thousands of dollars down the WC)?
Old 09-19-15, 05:28 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I don't swap often to be honest.

Cash plus financing here. I'll eat some but always be on the up side

Camaro, the decreasing in value has stopped so I'm far on the upside, thus my contemplation to trade. Which I decided against.

I always crunch the numbers to best understand the short and long term upside on depreciation. Like for the Z or whatever I end up with, I wouldn't walk into the dealer with any less than 30k in cash.

Last edited by Swacer; 09-20-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 02:46 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the most part, I agree with your observations. We had a RX loaner as well a few week back and I was disappointed. Made us appreciate the NX a lot! I realize it was a base model...and I get that part...but I was still not overly impressed with the materials used in it. Shouldn't even the base model from a premium brand be equal to the the top-of-the-line from a non-premium?? Also, had waaaay too much plastic and it rattled. The loaner we received was a '15 and only had 1,200 miles on the ODO, so there was no reason to rattle that much yet, even for a loaner. It looked immaculate when we got it so it didn't look abused.

I'm not as familiar with the RX, so does upgrading from the base greatly upgrade the interior? Using the NX as a reference, the base model has roughly the same interior appointments. What you gain when "upgrading" is the added features of memory seats, heat/vented seats, heated steering wheel etc., but for the most part all the rest of the interior is the same. I assumed that the RX would be the same...??

We have also had an ES, CT and an IS250 for loaners (all 2015's). The IS was the closest to the NX of the four, by far. We still found that we liked our NX better and, again, were glad to get it back. I will say that I enjoyed the IS the most of the four we've had as loaners. Having had an '07 Acura TL-S, the IS was the closest to it. I could easily see myself in an IS F. What I need is for Lexus to come out with a Tacoma sized truck version...then I would be SUPER STOKED!
Old 09-21-15, 06:22 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by D4V1D
For the most part, I agree with your observations. We had a RX loaner as well a few week back and I was disappointed. Made us appreciate the NX a lot! I realize it was a base model...and I get that part...but I was still not overly impressed with the materials used in it. Shouldn't even the base model from a premium brand be equal to the the top-of-the-line from a non-premium?? Also, had waaaay too much plastic and it rattled. The loaner we received was a '15 and only had 1,200 miles on the ODO, so there was no reason to rattle that much yet, even for a loaner. It looked immaculate when we got it so it didn't look abused.

I'm not as familiar with the RX, so does upgrading from the base greatly upgrade the interior? Using the NX as a reference, the base model has roughly the same interior appointments. What you gain when "upgrading" is the added features of memory seats, heat/vented seats, heated steering wheel etc., but for the most part all the rest of the interior is the same. I assumed that the RX would be the same...??

We have also had an ES, CT and an IS250 for loaners (all 2015's). The IS was the closest to the NX of the four, by far. We still found that we liked our NX better and, again, were glad to get it back. I will say that I enjoyed the IS the most of the four we've had as loaners. Having had an '07 Acura TL-S, the IS was the closest to it. I could easily see myself in an IS F. What I need is for Lexus to come out with a Tacoma sized truck version...then I would be SUPER STOKED!
No, upgrading from a base would not change that much with the interior. My new RX does have the Luxury package which allows the driver seat to extend which is nice since I am tall. The loaner RX I had when I had the NX in for repair was terrible. It was obviously abused by someone. I think much has to do with the build of the car at the time. While the interiors may have a few upgrades, one can just be built better than another. I guess that's why some have rattles, others don't, which is true of any vehicle. I don't find the RX to look cheap inside, with no more plastics than the average vehicle has. It is a very comfortable, quiet , smooth ride that I enjoy.
Old 09-21-15, 06:57 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by Ronn1
No, upgrading from a base would not change that much with the interior. My new RX does have the Luxury package which allows the driver seat to extend which is nice since I am tall. The loaner RX I had when I had the NX in for repair was terrible. It was obviously abused by someone. I think much has to do with the build of the car at the time. While the interiors may have a few upgrades, one can just be built better than another. I guess that's why some have rattles, others don't, which is true of any vehicle. I don't find the RX to look cheap inside, with no more plastics than the average vehicle has. It is a very comfortable, quiet , smooth ride that I enjoy.
Fair enough. Our observations were that the NX has a few more soft touch leatherette surfaces with the red (or white) stitching as opposed to the current RX. In particular, we like the stitching of the NX on the dash, sides of the center console near the knees, the upper door panels as well as the added stitching on the wrist rest for the RTI. What was REALLY a big deal for us is that we think the location of the gear shifter is horrible. I know there are several autos out there with this configuration, but we simply don't like it at all.

The only thing that we liked about the RX better is the added cup holder on the left of the steering wheel and the recessed screen as opposed to the laptop style of the NX. It seems that Lexus is updating the interior of the RX to almost match that of the NX...well, very close anyway. So, it would seem that, currently, Lexus believes that the NX is the way to go.

Comparisons:
NX:

RX:
Old 09-21-15, 09:52 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely its not fair on the 6 year old RX that you are all ganging up on it!! How would the NX feel if the new RX ganged up on it!?

Agree that the RX interior is getting somewhat old but I've only got 1 rattle in mine which I haven't been able to isolate yet and I can still flog my RX450H F-Sport round a corner nearly as hard as my wife's IS300h F-Sport so the handling isn't THAT bad.

The main thing with the RX450H is the buttery smooth transmission and engine combo, the CVT is SLICK! Mid-range urge is somewhat stronger than even the NX200T.

This comparison is somewhat like a 2016 RX450h F-Sport vs NX200t F-Sport. It'll prob be better in every way.
Old 09-21-15, 10:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Surely its not fair on the 6 year old RX that you are all ganging up on it!! How would the NX feel if the new RX ganged up on it!?

Agree that the RX interior is getting somewhat old but I've only got 1 rattle in mine which I haven't been able to isolate yet and I can still flog my RX450H F-Sport round a corner nearly as hard as my wife's IS300h F-Sport so the handling isn't THAT bad.

The main thing with the RX450H is the buttery smooth transmission and engine combo, the CVT is SLICK! Mid-range urge is somewhat stronger than even the NX200T.

This comparison is somewhat like a 2016 RX450h F-Sport vs NX200t F-Sport. It'll prob be better in every way.
This comparison has sorta gone a little all over the place since I started it. When I originally mentioned it, I was simply stating how I found the outdated RX to be just that in most ways. It wasn't really much more. Maybe eventually when the RX comes out, I'll be able to do a more solid comparison.
Old 09-21-15, 10:32 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

I'm with you Rayaans, I love my RX. Not ganging up at all. I was just comparing with Swacer that I had a bad loaner RX as well, and that the same car can be very different, depending on where it was built, what day etc. The RX I have is totally different than the loaner one was. @ D4V1D ..I don't mine the gearshift location. Before I bought the Lexus, I tried a Mercedes ML, and the gear shift was on the steering column...talk about strange operation LOL !! It was very different ! I actually like the space of the RX with the gearshift out of the way. I will add that the interior pics of the 2016 RX are awesome ! @ Rayaans, I hope you get that idle problem fixed with your ride ! Cheers all

Last edited by RDLGX; 09-21-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 10:53 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Surely its not fair on the 6 year old RX that you are all ganging up on it!!
You're absolutely correct. That wasn't my intent, I promise.

All I meant to point out is that the RX, as it stands right now, does not quite match up with the new NX as far as interiors are concerned. When the '16 RX debuts soon, it will, most likely, be as good as the NX in every way and probably better in most. It has to be...its their number 1 selling vehicle and they have a lot riding on it's success.

I will say, though, that some of the early photos I've seen seem to indicate that the interior of the new RX will be styled very similarly to the current NX. This leads me to believe that Lexus thinks the NX interior was a good one...and I agree.
Old 09-21-15, 12:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I was just comparing with Swacer that I had a bad loaner RX as well, and that the same car can be very different, depending on where it was built, what day etc. The RX I have is totally different than the loaner one was. :
It's funny you mention that. I had a very similar experience. I had my IS in for service and they gave me an RX450h for a loaner. Also having an RX350, I was excited to spend some time in the hybrid version. It was terrible. It made it clear why people on here with no other RX experience beyond a loaner are so disappointed with them. I couldn't even pinpoint what was really wrong with it, though I definitely didn't like the black interior with bright bamboo trim. It just had a funny smell and the interior felt cheap. The next time I drove my RX, I was like "ahhh...that's better"...
Old 09-22-15, 02:58 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's funny you mention that. I had a very similar experience. I had my IS in for service and they gave me an RX450h for a loaner. Also having an RX350, I was excited to spend some time in the hybrid version. It was terrible. It made it clear why people on here with no other RX experience beyond a loaner are so disappointed with them. I couldn't even pinpoint what was really wrong with it, though I definitely didn't like the black interior with bright bamboo trim. It just had a funny smell and the interior felt cheap. The next time I drove my RX, I was like "ahhh...that's better"...
Good point...I never thought about it in that way. But funny too, as my wife and I say the same thing when we get back in our NX!

Brings up another sore point with me. Why do the loaners get treated so poorly? I just can't, in good conscience, do that to something I don't own. People simply don't care about others property? Example: we were given a CT loaner recently. I was excited to get to drive one as I haven't had that opportunity yet. When we got into the car, we were shocked to see just how dirty it was. Seriously, it looked like a big 'ole construction worker who worked in the dirt all day had rubbed his arms and body all over the seats. The dirt wasn't just merely on the surface, but rubbed into it...and it was the parchment color to boot! The back floor boards had loose bits of mulch in it. So what, they got the loaner and decided to lay down the seats and go get a CT load of bagged mulch...REALLY?? Sadly, I actually felt somewhat sorry for the car. When we rent a car or get a loaner, we return it in the same condition that we got it. What's wrong with people sometimes?? Sorry.../rant.
Old 09-22-15, 05:12 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Good point...I never thought about it in that way. But funny too, as my wife and I say the same thing when we get back in our NX!

Brings up another sore point with me. Why do the loaners get treated so poorly? I just can't, in good conscience, do that to something I don't own. People simply don't care about others property? Example: we were given a CT loaner recently. I was excited to get to drive one as I haven't had that opportunity yet. When we got into the car, we were shocked to see just how dirty it was. Seriously, it looked like a big 'ole construction worker who worked in the dirt all day had rubbed his arms and body all over the seats. The dirt wasn't just merely on the surface, but rubbed into it...and it was the parchment color to boot! The back floor boards had loose bits of mulch in it. So what, they got the loaner and decided to lay down the seats and go get a CT load of bagged mulch...REALLY?? Sadly, I actually felt somewhat sorry for the car. When we rent a car or get a loaner, we return it in the same condition that we got it. What's wrong with people sometimes?? Sorry.../rant.
When I had the RX loaner, I had to drive it three hours to get home. The first thing I did was to clean the inside...I thought if I have to be in this thing for a week, it has to be clean ! The seats were filthy, and one was actually torn. I don't understand why people abuse it either, but I can tell you I cleaned it up inside..oh, the other thing, I had a flat tire the day before driving three hours back LOL ..it had a nail..it was fixed, and Lexus took care of the bill, so no problem there. At least it was clean for the next person. I didn't clean the outside, the paint was horrible with rock chips, and this was a 2015 ! Unbelievable the shape it was in.
Old 09-22-15, 05:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Why? Quite simply put, when it comes to things that don't belong to a specific person, they are pigs. There is little vested interest to take care of it. However, the same is true when you take YOUR car anywhere and give it to either a dealer or a valet, do they take care of it like you do? OF course not...no vested interest, no caring. Sadly, this is modern human mentality. That is one of the reasons that modern cars have valet modes.

Speaking of people not caring at a valet....My wife and I were at a restaurant a couple weeks back and they had a valet service. Of course, I wouldn't dare give one of those putz my car, but people certainly do. Several nice cars came up, a mid 2000s Viper, a GT-R, and each time the valets sped the cars down the road like it was an episode of "look its not mine, so I don't care". Then, a guy and his buddy show up with a brand new Hellcat Challenger. Stunning car, and its a stick. Personally, my Camaro being a stick is one of the reasons I NEVER let anyone else drive my car. I have heard too many horror stories. Heck, I won't even take the car to a dealer because of one occasion where I heard them rev the car up multiple times because the idiot couldn't get it moving.... EITHER way...back to the story. This cocky little **** gets in the Hellcat and starts revving it. Stall.... Start...Rev...Stall. He clearly has no idea how to drive a stick. So on the 3rd try, he starts it revs it, and slips the daylights out of the clutch until he zips down the road. Now, the lot is actually behind the building with 3 one ways streets. So he has to make a circle. As he comes back around, he is slipping and revving this car the entire way down the street. No care in the world. The owner is no where to be seen, but if that was me, I would have thrown that kid physically out of my car long before any of that damage was done.

This is one of the reasons I love the new Z06 with its on board camera. Nothing a little idiot can do that won't be caught. My Camaro doesn't get valets for the reason above, and once it has a cam, I wish most people luck driving it lol

Why do I tell you this story? Because to further the proof, when the car isn't yours...people have no care to mistreat it.

Its also one of the reason you NEVER buy a used rental car lol

Only thing I will say is that when I'm given a loaner, I typically run it through the paces because I want to know as much about the car as I can given the small time period that I have it. However, I treat the car no different than I would my own.

(Sorry for post being a little all over the place...I had a lot to say on the topic lol)

Last edited by Swacer; 09-22-15 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 05:33 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

It's hard to believe your dealership is giving out filthy loaners. The last loaner I had was fine from my dealership. My dealership has a car wash area that is going all day, when a loaner comes in they send it thru so the next customer has a clean loaner. Sounds to me like someone is not doing their job.

The RX loaner I received I thought rode so much better than my RX that I had them swap the tires(Michelins) for mine(Dunlap)!

Quick Reply: NX vs. Current RX