NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Enform Subscriptions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 06:07 AM
gigarange
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enform Subscriptions

Hello! I'm having trouble finding information about the different Enform subscription packages and exactly what's included (and what's not included). In particular, I'm trying to understand exactly which features need a paid subscription and which ones will continue working after my free trial ends.

- I know the SOS button will stop working w/o a subscription.
- Basic use of navigation and infotainment system: I presume all of this will continue to work without a subscription?
- Live traffic?
- Map updates?
- Will I continue to get updates to the infotainment software?
- It's my understanding a subscription is required to use the Enform Remote (plus an additional fee). Exactly what's needed to continue using the Enform Remote?
- Will the key fob remote starter continue to work without a subscription?
- What other features will I lose if I don't renew a subscription?

Thanks in advance for any light you can help shed on this!

Last edited by gigarange; 09-01-15 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 06:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Basic Navigation will work along with infotainment. You paid for that when you bought that nav package with your car. Only difference is you can't call to have the person put an address in for you while you're driving.

2. Live traffic is driven by HD radio.

3. Map updates? Do you mean mass updates of the software?

4. Updates to your infotainment is from ECU flashes at the dealer.

5. Yes, you are right on the Enform Remote.

6. If you have a remote starter button on your key, then it should work.

Enform is over rated IMO, and unlike OnStar, insurance companies do not wish to recognize it for discounts. I will let it expire on my wife's IS and eventually on my NX. Our insurance does everything it did.
Old 09-01-15, 12:07 PM
gigarange
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your quick reply! What are ECU flashes from the dealer (#4)? Do they cost money? Also, yes without renewing the subscription will I continue to get free map updates (most GPS systems update maps periodically)?
Old 09-01-15, 12:27 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gigarange
Thanks for your quick reply! What are ECU flashes from the dealer (#4)? Do they cost money? Also, yes without renewing the subscription will I continue to get free map updates (most GPS systems update maps periodically)?
No, a system update is usually something that should be checked every visit. When you schedule a visit, have the service person add to your order that you want the ECU checked for any potential firmware updates. That's free.

Enform was never going to give you a GPS update to my knowledge. That is something you would pay Lexus for separate, which I believe is a couple hundred an update.
Old 09-01-15, 01:05 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Enform was never going to give you a GPS update to my knowledge. That is something you would pay Lexus for separate, which I believe is a couple hundred an update.
Yes, the last update (in the form of a Micro SD card) was $210. They generally come out annually.
Old 09-01-15, 03:52 PM
gigarange
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-03-15, 05:57 AM
ramyta
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer

6. If you have a remote starter button on your key, then it should work.

Actually Swacer you don't need "remote starter button". Pressing the "Lock" 3 times with third time is long press will start the engine! Just discovered that
Old 09-03-15, 06:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ramyta
Actually Swacer you don't need "remote starter button". Pressing the "Lock" 3 times with third time is long press will start the engine! Just discovered that
Really?

I shall try this later today.
Old 09-03-15, 06:27 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

but.... will hitting the lock button 3 times work if you allow the subscription to expire?
Old 09-03-15, 07:12 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
but.... will hitting the lock button 3 times work if you allow the subscription to expire?
I don't think we'll know the answer to that question until someone's Enform subscriptions expire!
Old 09-03-15, 07:14 AM
ramyta
Rookie

Yes it will since it uses the Key Fob to communicate with the car. The Enform App uses the Internet to send car commands and requires a subscription
Old 09-03-15, 08:55 AM
gigarange
Driver School Candidate

Yes it will since it uses the Key Fob to communicate with the car. The Enform App uses the Internet to send car commands and requires a subscription
That sounds right to me, too.

And yes, hitting lock 3 times really does work. I originally read it in another thread and have since down it myself. WHY DOESN'T LEXUS PUBLICIZE THIS FEATURE? Even the salesperson I bought my NX from didn't know about it!
Old 09-03-15, 09:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gigarange
That sounds right to me, too.

And yes, hitting lock 3 times really does work. I originally read it in another thread and have since down it myself. WHY DOESN'T LEXUS PUBLICIZE THIS FEATURE? Even the salesperson I bought my NX from didn't know about it!
We don't have Enform in Canada, but, having done lot's of research on RES options, I can tell you that the remote start feature is part of the Enform Remote services, so it will stop working when the Enform subscription expires. There was a member here working for a dealer that mentioned Lexus may extend the Enform Remote services as base service with no subscription fees, but crickets since it was first mentioned.

While it is true that the key fob communicates with the car, what actually happens during the Remote Start sequence is the car recognizes the command, reaches out to the back end through Enform services and then starts the car. It also updates the back end of that status.

For true remote start, an immobilizer bypass needs to be installed. There are after market options using the factory remote (limited range) or dedicated remote (extended range).
Old 09-07-15, 08:28 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

It's also my understanding that the remote start will no longer function, key fob or internet app, if you let the Enform subscription expire. It would be nice if the key fob would still work. but I doubt Lexus will provide this function for free.

I paid $429 extra for the remote Engine start option via key fob on my CT.
Old 09-07-15, 09:25 AM
ramyta
Rookie

Anyone without Enform Subscription can tell us if they can still start the car from the Key fob?

Quick Reply: Enform Subscriptions