NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Wheels - winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 06:30 PM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually negotiated a set of winter rims when I bought mine and will likely get these from a guy who sells me Goodyear at a really good price! Not looking forward to winter either way, but with the mileage we put on weekly, I need winter tires / rims....

Last edited by DBCOM; 09-11-15 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-11-15, 08:44 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Look at the specs for the standard FWD model with the 17" wheels and use that as square set up for the winter wheels/tire combo. Should keep the rolling diameter the same as the 18" wheels and shouldn't result in any fitment issues with the AWD or the F-Sport versions.

"17 x 7-in 10-spoke alloy wheels with 225/65R17 all-season tires*" It is standard Toyota 5 bolt hub centric fitment.

Costco has hub centric steelies that match but I already have a set from the 2011 RX that should fit the NX.
With regards to 17" wheels on F-Sport NX, it won't fit for F-Sport with AVS as per the New Car Features of NX.

"17 in. tires cannot be used on models with an AVS since the appropriate clearance with surrounding parts cannot be ensured."
Old 09-11-15, 08:47 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Mounting and dismounting tires on rims puts a lot of wear and tear on the bead of the tires. More chances to develop slow leaks and damage to the lips of the rims.
That is really true. I was told by my tire ship the same thing. Especially tires with stiff sidewalls. That's why I have been sticking with two set of rims setup.
Old 09-12-15, 07:33 AM
lsft
Instructor

Received 517 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
are you looking to protect your wheels too? if not and if you want to save even more money just have a shop swap them out for you and use your OEMS.
I never swap my tires. Always get another set.
Old 09-12-15, 04:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
are you looking to protect your wheels too? if not and if you want to save even more money just have a shop swap them out for you and use your OEMS.
Agree with all the others above about the wear on the tires, not to mention potential wheel damage when done by inexperience personnel

Not sure how much a tire swap in NY is, but in AB, the labour costs for this don't make sense for twice a year swaps. The cost to remove, install, balance and mount a set of four tires could run as high as $100. Twice a year over 4-5 years and you've got a decent set of wheels already.
Old 09-13-15, 04:50 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by computerwi
Agree with all the others above about the wear on the tires, not to mention potential wheel damage when done by inexperience personnel

Not sure how much a tire swap in NY is, but in AB, the labour costs for this don't make sense for twice a year swaps. The cost to remove, install, balance and mount a set of four tires could run as high as $100. Twice a year over 4-5 years and you've got a decent set of wheels already.
And I am able to change to switch the wheels in less time than it takes me to drive to and from tire shop.
Old 09-25-15, 11:58 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Was just at the dealer talking to the parts guy regarding winter wheels/tires. I was hoping there was a deal to be had for a set of wheels like Computerwiz got. But unfortunately no.

Their price for a set of 4 winter wheel/tire/tpms including install and 1 free year of storage is $2924. I was like, are you kidding me?

Upon further investigation, that is for 18 wheels at about $400 a pop. I asked what is their price for a 17 inch package. He got a confused look on his face and said, no, you can't run 17 inch wheels.

So I will continue to scour the universe for some decent looking aftermarket wheels that aren't going to break the bank. Then grab some Bizzacks from Costco like Computerwiz did.

Speaking of Costco, anybody have any experience with Costco's Premium alloy wheels?
Old 09-25-15, 01:33 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Here are the wheels I am leaning towards.

I will need a hub spacer, but other than that, these should fit, correct?
Attached Thumbnails Wheels - winter-fast.png  
Old 09-25-15, 07:17 PM
lsft
Instructor

Received 517 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
Here are the wheels I am leaning towards.

I will need a hub spacer, but other than that, these should fit, correct?
Nice wheels! You'll need hub spacers for these wheels. should be 60.1.

I picked up 4x WS80 yesterday from Costco. Very good price for the 17s.

I've also picked the DAI DW73. This one should be perfect fit, 60.1 hub bore.

Old 09-25-15, 07:49 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Those are nice looking wheels. And it is a bonus that they are a perfect fit.

I wonder if I can get those in Alberta.
Old 09-30-15, 10:23 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
Was just at the dealer talking to the parts guy regarding winter wheels/tires. I was hoping there was a deal to be had for a set of wheels like Computerwiz got. But unfortunately no.

Their price for a set of 4 winter wheel/tire/tpms including install and 1 free year of storage is $2924. I was like, are you kidding me?

Upon further investigation, that is for 18 wheels at about $400 a pop. I asked what is their price for a 17 inch package. He got a confused look on his face and said, no, you can't run 17 inch wheels.
So they didn't even try to provide you with a 17" quote? If you don't an F-Sport, 17" wheels will work. The part number for these is 4261A-78060. If you ask for the manager, you might be able to get them down to $300 per wheel, which is still a great price for OEM wheels. Otherwise, good luck!

Last edited by computerwi; 09-30-15 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 05:32 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
So they didn't even try to provide you with a 17" quote? If you don't an F-Sport, 17" wheels will work. The part number for these is 4261A-78060. If you ask for the manager, you might be able to get them down to $300 per wheel, which is still a great price for OEM wheels. Otherwise, good luck!
Further to this story. I stopped at Lexus of Edmonton the other day. Went to the parts counter. One of the workers very begrudgingly got up off his butt to talk to me. When I asked about winter tires and wheels he tossed out "around $2900". I asked about 17" wheels and he said Lexus hasn't given them the go ahead, nor the specs for using 17" wheels. Or something like that. I had already tuned him out. That is not the customer experience I was expecting from them. The South Pointe parts guy wasn't much help either, but at least he was very pleasant and did try to help. Maybe I interrupted the Lexus of Edmonton's part guy's game of solitaire.

Anyhow, we have moved away from the OEM wheel idea and have a few alternatives we are looking at.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Cheers.....
Old 10-02-15, 07:10 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quality winter tires make a huge difference. I run Nokians on my CT they make the car excellent in any road condition even dry , except they wear like crazy in warm weather.
Hakka R2's are awesome winter tires not just snow but ice and slick roads. All Season tires if they are well siped are decent at best. AWD- all season can be sufficient. FWD not so much. Michelin also has a really good winter tire out. X-ICE XI3 if you can find the size you need. -limited.
Of course you can get by without winter tires ....On our NX I'm going to swap the tires over to really nice rims and move winter tires onto the factory rims. Does anyone know if NX can accept more than one sensor reading. I know My CT won't.