NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 01:24 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It was the IS250 they didn't care for. They said the 350 "is a much better choice."
They have updated their commentary in the newsstand 2015 compendium (the annual softbound book) for the IS; "The IS350 is punchier but underwhelming to drive". Faint praise is damning (an unchanged rating of 58).

Reviewing and rating automobiles is much more difficult to successfully do than for most any other good or service. One has complexity, varying customer expectations, and the big variable of human interaction to contend with. For a simple example, what might a great driving position for one physique, may be unacceptable for another (i.e., long legs - short torso vs. short legs - tall torso). Aesthetic judgments are another. Believing that one can pursue the process in a completely unbiased manner (they're human, after all) is intellectually questionable and thinking that one can actually rate every automobile available on a finely graded absolute scale of 0 to 100 is asking for an awful lot.

Last edited by Koetsu; 09-13-15 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Fact check.
Old 09-13-15, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I understand what you are saying, but on the other hand, CR in particular is influential not only with consumers, but with the auto industry as well and they've been doing it a long time warts and all. So something must be working for them and their business model must hold up to scrutiny pretty well.

I'm not here to sell or defend CR but some of the comments on why they aren't any good, or their system is a failure etc. get a bit over the top (too overweight for the seats, on the take from manufacturers etc.). It happens with all brand/models in various publications not just with the RX.

I agree the rating was indeed puzzling, but that doesn't mean there is some conspiracy going on.
Old 09-13-15, 07:13 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

They did complain about both the IS and NX not having enough interior space. I don't think it is over the top to suggest since they didn't fit comfortably...that they might just be too big for those automobiles. Also, they even state that the NX is not a bad car. Then why name it the "Worst"??? Makes no sense at all. They need an education on what the "Worst" means.
Old 09-13-15, 07:57 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Originally Posted by Frog98
They did complain about both the IS and NX not having enough interior space. I don't think it is over the top to suggest since they didn't fit comfortably...that they might just be too big for those automobiles. ..
Possibly due to the taste testing of too much frozen pizza?
Old 09-13-15, 08:21 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Possibly due to the taste testing of too much frozen pizza?
Haha! Too much testing pizza while watching tv's...and then testing mattresses for nap comfort. Followed by hours of staring at washing machines, dish washers, and refridgerators to find any difference. Where do I apply for this job?
Old 09-14-15, 09:50 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I understand what you are saying, but on the other hand, CR in particular is influential not only with consumers, but with the auto industry as well and they've been doing it a long time warts and all. So something must be working for them and their business model must hold up to scrutiny pretty well.

I'm not here to sell or defend CR but some of the comments on why they aren't any good, or their system is a failure etc. get a bit over the top (too overweight for the seats, on the take from manufacturers etc.). It happens with all brand/models in various publications not just with the RX.

I agree the rating was indeed puzzling, but that doesn't mean there is some conspiracy going on.
Well said.

CR, just like every other person or publication that reviews things, uses criteria and methods that they believe are in tune with their subscribers' wants and needs. As such, and certainly in my case, once you understand what these processes are you can take from their reviews what is important to you and mentally discard the rest.
Old 09-14-15, 10:51 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Well said.

CR, just like every other person or publication that reviews things, uses criteria and methods that they believe are in tune with their subscribers' wants and needs. As such, and certainly in my case, once you understand what these processes are you can take from their reviews what is important to you and mentally discard the rest.
No problem (and I absolutely agree) if this what was usually practiced by consumers and repeated by the casually interested press. The compiling of frequency of repair and owner satisfaction data alone is a valuable service. However, there are those who treat CR's conclusions as THE opinion rather than AN opinion ... Hence, the difficulty.
Old 09-14-15, 12:05 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I find them to be an excellent source for reviews of all kinds, especially appliances. What's your beef here? I mean, they buy (anonymously) a bunch of, say refrigerators, and test them for energy efficiency, actual usable space, features, etc. and report on that. What's flawed about that?

Now, in the case of the NX reviews, the first one--though not without concerns--did seem to be far better than the more comprehensive one later. That's for sure.
Their goals may be altruistic and their methods logical on paper, but from my personal experience and reading feedback on appliances they rate one way or the other, many consumer forums on individual appliances and cars are almost polar opposite to their conclusions. I think they have made many errors in car testing. I was a CR fan and client for years but I just found they, for reasons I admittedly don't understand, arrive at results not in the least in keeping with my personal experience. I have been disappointed in many things they recommended and pleased with things they gave thumbs down to. I have no vendetta against them.

Last edited by rudyH; 09-20-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-16-15, 09:49 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

My father liked our NX so much...that tonight we traded in our 2011 GX for another NX just like it. We pick it up Friday or Monday. So now we both have one. It's just much easier day in day out to drive than the GX. I feel lucky we found another Luxury NX 200t with all the options...triple beam headlights, pcs, lane departure, power folding rear seats, wireless charger etc. So now we have a Atomic Silver and a Silver Lining Metallic both with black interior. Take that CR!
Old 09-17-15, 09:05 AM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father liked our NX so much...that tonight we traded in our 2011 GX for another NX just like it. We pick it up Friday or Monday. So now we both have one. It's just much easier day in day out to drive than the GX. I feel lucky we found another Luxury NX 200t with all the options...triple beam headlights, pcs, lane departure, power folding rear seats, wireless charger etc. So now we have a Atomic Silver and a Silver Lining Metallic both with black interior. Take that CR!
I'm so happy to see hear that so many people are having excellent experiences with their NX. I hope to buy one soon

Last edited by USALV; 09-17-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 01:50 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember a few years back CR rated several products in one appliance maker's lineup WAY higher than this other makers appliances. (normal) Across the lineup.
Weird thing was they are both the same company different names on the appliances. EXACTLY the same build under the SAME roof. Since then , color me sceptical. Different name tags basically got rated higher than the other.

So much for objectivity.

I just test drove the RDX, X1, Q5 , CX5 - I know- and NX .....we are looking for an NX.

Last edited by Tom59; 09-19-15 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-20-15, 01:37 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

I have a hard time understanding those that think you get more with an RX currently? For example a loaded Luxury model NX vs a loaded RX...not base models or f sport. Can you find a 15' RX with PCS, lane keep, power rear seat, triple beam LED headlights? Most RX's I've seen are pretty basic. You do get more size with the RX. My Luxury Model NX 200T has a great interior...real leather and real wood. I also have a 2014 Ultra Luxury ES and a fully loaded 2011 GX. The ES could have used some interior improvements...which they are now fixing on the 2016 model with leather around the center console and more wood. Only the GX feels a bit more luxurious...but it cost 20k more than my NX...it should. I'm wondering if CR only tested the F sport model which would ride more firm...and interior lacks wood and leather?
Yes, but the NX does not come with auto high beams, power folding mirrors, which I had hoped that would be available on the NX. My 2010 RX has the auto high beams and adaptive forward lighting. I love the auto high beams. Also, in order to get rainsensing wipers, it seems you can only get them on the luxury package of the NX. Can't even get them on the F-Sport, at least in the U.S., that is. I hope Lexus will add some of these features on the next year model NX
Old 09-20-15, 02:30 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Yes, but the NX does not come with auto high beams, power folding mirrors, which I had hoped that would be available on the NX. My 2010 RX has the auto high beams and adaptive forward lighting. I love the auto high beams. Also, in order to get rainsensing wipers, it seems you can only get them on the luxury package of the NX. Can't even get them on the F-Sport, at least in the U.S., that is. I hope Lexus will add some of these features on the next year model NX
Actually both of our Luxury Package NX's have LED triple beam headlamps w/ auto high beams. Had the adaptive forward lighting (they are cool) and power folding mirrors on the GX. I never used the folding mirrors. The f-sport NX has adaptive fog lamps...I wish it was available on the Luxury model. You are right about many of the features being only available on the Luxury model. I initially wanted an f sport, but decided on the Luxury model because of the extra options available. Love the look of the f sport, but I guess I am getting old because I would prefer to have more luxury options now The 2016 RX should have all these options plus available HUD, 360 degree camera, pedestrian detection. It will be interesting to see if you can get a new RX F-Sport with all the options.

Last edited by Frog98; 09-20-15 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 04:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I came across CR's video review on the Q3 (and GLK and CRV) and I've come to realize these guys just like to be highly critical of all cars.

Old 10-09-15, 08:08 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I came across CR's video review on the Q3 (and GLK and CRV) and I've come to realize these guys just like to be highly critical of all cars. ....
Well, yes, but what is decidedly confirmed is that they do not "get" the small SUV/CUV segment, as I speculated in my post #11 on the first page of this thread. Their answer to many auto purchasing questions appears to be the Golf (which sits one too low in many of the current driving environments).

Hmmm. Recommending Volkswagens ...... how's that working lately?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015