NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 08:15 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Hmmm. Recommending Volkswagens ...... how's that working lately?
Yes, because CR certainly knew that this giant Charlie Foxtrot would hit VW.

It would not surprise me if CR began doing their own emissions testing in the near future as part of their reviews.
Old 10-09-15, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t

It would not surprise me if CR began doing their own emissions testing in the near future as part of their reviews.
I read that CR has removed any VW's from their Recommended list. I agree, that there was no way for them or any other source to know this was going to hit the fan.
Old 10-09-15, 08:46 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I read that CR has removed any VW's from their Recommended list. I agree, that there was no way for them or any other source to know this was going to hit the fan.
Consumer Reports says this (and lots more):
How Do VW’s Actions Affect Consumer Reports’ Recommendations of VW and Audi?

Based on the EPA notice of violation against Volkswagen for circumventing emissions testing guidelines, Consumer Reports has suspended its “recommended” Rating of two tested VW vehicles: the Jetta diesel and Passat diesel. These recommendations will be suspended until Consumer Reports can re-test these vehicles with a recall repair performed. Once the emissions systems are functioning properly, we will assess whether the repair has adversely affected performance or fuel economy.
Old 10-09-15, 09:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I have no issue with what VW did. Actually, I find it rather creative. Sneaky, but creative.

To essentially have 2 full fuel and boost tables, and the car being able to notice if it was being tested was genius.

I honestly couldn't give two sh*#%s less about the emissions of my car. I want an efficient car that does what I need it to do. The VW was doing that without issue. Heck, on my Camaro, I pass emissions because I have about 26 lights shut off in the ECU.

Now, in my mind, people want to simply cry that they were lied to. Really, they want to sue for the sake of being able to, nothing more. Most owners, probably have no idea how their car was doing it because people have become rather "car-dumb"... What the owners don't realize, is once VW updates their ECUs to allow for proper emissions, they are going to lose power, lose mpg, and cry even more foul. My vote would be "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".
Old 10-09-15, 09:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Personally, I have no issue with what VW did. Actually, I find it rather creative. Sneaky, but creative.

To essentially have 2 full fuel and boost tables, and the car being able to notice if it was being tested was genius.

I honestly couldn't give two sh*#%s less about the emissions of my car. I want an efficient car that does what I need it to do. The VW was doing that without issue. Heck, on my Camaro, I pass emissions because I have about 26 lights shut off in the ECU.

Now, in my mind, people want to simply cry that they were lied to. Really, they want to sue for the sake of being able to, nothing more. Most owners, probably have no idea how their car was doing it because people have become rather "car-dumb"... What the owners don't realize, is once VW updates their ECUs to allow for proper emissions, they are going to lose power, lose mpg, and cry even more foul. My vote would be "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".
Old 10-09-15, 09:31 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Swacer, it's interesting to me that you're comfortable with a major corporation committing fraud and, while we're here, your willingness to flout the law yourself when tinting the windows of your vehicles to an unlawful degree or by modifying your ECU to [assumedly illegally] pass emissions test. Not to mention that you seem to not care if your vehicle - or others' - pollutes.

It says a lot about you.
Old 10-09-15, 09:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Swacer, it's interesting to me that you're comfortable with a major corporation committing fraud and, while we're here, your willingness to flout the law yourself when tinting the windows of your vehicles to an unlawful degree or by modifying your ECU to [assumedly illegally] pass emissions test. Not to mention that you seem to not care if your vehicle - or others' - pollutes.

It says a lot about you.
GM permits tuning of the car, its the tuning required in order to run headers on the car. Unlike Toyota who bolts the lock and throws away the key, GM promotes improving performance of your car. I haven't' done anything different than THOUSANDS of other owners.

I'm not too concerned to be honest, where I live doesn't even have emissions testing.

Tint....lol
Old 10-09-15, 09:46 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
GM permits tuning of the car, its the tuning required in order to run headers on the car. Unlike Toyota who bolts the lock and throws away the key, GM promotes improving performance of your car. I haven't' done anything different than THOUSANDS of other owners.

Tint....lol
I wouldn't have said a word if it were any of the things I mentioned above, singly. But together they paint a picture. And for that we thank you.
Old 10-09-15, 10:44 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't see why the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X1 are even in the compact SUV discussion. IMHO, they are station wagons.
Old 10-09-15, 11:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I can't see why the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X1 are even in the compact SUV discussion. IMHO, they are station wagons.
For reasons I just don't understand (although they did explain their logic somewhere in one of their write ups) Car & Driver places the NX in the same segment as X1, GLA and Q3.
Old 10-09-15, 11:41 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For reasons I just don't understand (although they did explain their logic somewhere in one of their write ups) Car & Driver places the NX in the same segment as X1, GLA and Q3.
In the video that was just posted, the reviewer admits that the GLA is basically a hatchback.

Before buying my NX, I test-drove a GLA. It sat too low and was small. The cargo area was small, too. It reminded me of a mini-station wagon. It did have a bunch of features that Lexus doesn't offer (and vice versa).
Old 10-10-15, 05:46 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, but CR doubled down on their recommendation of the Golf as one of "the best" for 2015 in their October 2015 print issue.

Don't know about the rest of you, but as a thoughtful consumer of something as expensive as an automobile, I'd shy away (and cease being a fanboy) from purchasing any VW product until the issues are fully resolved (maybe 1+ years) and one can be fairly sure that no other shoes are about to be dropped.

CR should stick to telling us (1) is it safe?, (2) is it likely to break?, and (3) does it unnecessarily pollute? To bring us back to the topic at the beginning of this thread, when it comes to something as complex as an automobile whose selection is subject to several personal factors and requirements, CR does not have the ability or credibility to pick "the best" or "the worst" of this or any year.

Last edited by Koetsu; 10-10-15 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 10-10-15, 07:04 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Ah, but CR doubled down on their recommendation of the Golf as one of "the best" for 2015 in their October 2015 print issue.
CR's October issue is mailed in September. The VW diesel scandal was not revealed until September 18th, long after the issue was on the presses. On their online site (I am a subscriber) no Golf models bear the Recommended mark.

Don't know about the rest of you, but as a thoughtful consumer of something as expensive as an automobile, I'd shy away (and cease being a fanboy) from purchasing any VW product until the issues are fully resolved (maybe 1+ years) and one can be fairly sure that no other shoes are about to be dropped.

CR should stick to telling us (1) is it safe?, (2) is it likely to break?, and (3) does it unnecessary pollute? To bring us back to the topic at the beginning of this thread, when it comes to something as complex as an automobile whose selection is subject to several personal factors and requirements, CR does not have the ability or credibility to pick "the best" or "the worst" of this or any year.
CR has decades of experience rating automobiles, and they do so using their own set of criteria, just as others like JDPower and the many auto magazines do. I have literally decades of experience reading those reviews, and so I have learned to use them in a manner that suits me.

I don't pay attention to their opinions regarding styling, as that's highly personal, as you observe. But I do pay close attention to many of the other things they evaluate.

Your choice, as a consumer, is to not pay money for their products, or to write them if you think they should change their methods. Or you can do what you and others are doing here: complain about them in order to garner support for your acrimony toward them - it really accomplishes nothing else.
Old 10-10-15, 08:26 AM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those on this forum too young to remember,http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-re...sumer-reports/ you should always doubt information from any " creditable" source! Everyone has an agenda. Check out gm pickups and niteline report.
Old 10-10-15, 08:43 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimp
For those on this forum too young to remember,http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-re...sumer-reports/ you should always doubt information from any " creditable" source! Everyone has an agenda. Check out gm pickups and niteline report.
What's interesting is that AIM (Accuracy in Media, the people behind the report at your link) itself has an agenda and isn't, at least in my mind and a plethora of others', particularly altruistic. They are decidedly conservative, Republican-leaning and tend to be supportive of big business.

The case you mention above was settled in 2004, with no admissions of any kind nor money changing hands. Details here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/09/bu...-magazine.html

CR has been sued more than a dozen times by manufacturers that don't like their reviews. A few of the more notable cases are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum...onsumers_Union

They have yet to lose a single case.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015