NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015

Old 09-11-15, 06:15 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My SC is in the shop having some work done. They gave me an NX Turbo as a loaner. I have been thinking about this vehicle but have been on the fence because of a few less than enthusiastic reviews of it. Well, I got a reminder that I should never EVER listen to "expert car guys" about anything. I mean none of them. The NX is a GREAT vehicle! I was amazed at how smooth and quiet it is. The build quality is impeccable. Power and handling far exceed what I would have expected. Now, I haven't done a lot of driving in it and have only had it the one day, but I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a 2015 at the end of this year. I was wary of the track pad pointer but it's not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm sure it will be second nature very quickly. Lexus did a great job on the NX. The biggest problem I had is it's very easy to find yourself driving at 90mph without even trying. You owners bought the right car!

Last edited by rudyH; 09-11-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 01:16 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with them on the touchpad navigation. But, when my wife shows the car to her friends, the two things she raves about are the interior and how well it rides.
Old 09-11-15, 07:50 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeyb
I agree with them on the touchpad navigation. But, when my wife shows the car to her friends, the two things she raves about are the interior and how well it rides.
Hi There
Was your loaner car the Regular NX or the NX Sport version?

Thank you
Old 09-11-15, 08:34 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
...I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a 2015 at the end of this year. I was wary of the track pad pointer but it's not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm sure it will be second nature very quickly.
I felt the same way, too. I just bought my NX a couple of days ago and already I'm getting used to the touchpad. It really started to feel better once I turned off the haptic feedback (the vibration feedback).
Old 09-12-15, 06:01 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You probably believe that every politician is trustworthy too, huh? Because it would be crazy for them to have their hands deep into something dirty that benefited them finanically...

Why is CR any different?
Hahaha, Swacie, what's with the 'tude all the time? And with above comment, I guess you don't vote then right?

Anyway...not so sure why everyone's panties are in such a twist over this article.

Consumer Reports is a CONSUMER magazine. The Auto rags benefit from advertising from uto manufacturers...so those are the reviews you should take with a grain of salt. As soon as CR prints something someone doesn't like, then all of the accusations start with the 'being paid under the table by auto manufacturer' comments. I can only imagine that the check from Lexus corporate must have bounced because the initial NX review comments by Consumer Reports were much more positive.

We have seen at least one person here who could not live with the NX, and a few others who passed it by for the RX, and the rest of us who love it and have a completely different experience than CR and these other folks. Let's respect each other's opinions and move on.
Old 09-12-15, 06:36 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USALV
Hi There
Was your loaner car the Regular NX or the NX Sport version?

Thank you
Just a turbo. Not an F Sport. I want to tey one of those next.
Old 09-12-15, 08:19 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865

Anyway...not so sure why everyone's panties are in such a twist over this article.

In this instance, we are not talking about something as prosaic as a choice between an NX and an RX, but rather a CR issue in which they declared the NX "one of the worst for 2015" in print. The difficulty is that CR reviews are often passed on in some circles as gospel (although they have had their share of misjudgments). Combine their pseudo-creditability with a review in which they have so clearly "jumped the shark" and you have a formula for long term vitriol. Heck, they can't seem to arrive at a consistent impression of the NX among themselves. See ...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

Reviewing automobiles is a different kettle of fish than reviewing refrigerators.

Last edited by Koetsu; 09-12-15 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 09-12-15, 08:41 AM
wase4711
Rookie

[QUOTE=Koetsu;9181057The difficulty is that CR reviews are often passed on in some circles as gospel (although they have had their share of misjudgments).)[/QUOTE]

Those "circles" are the ones I dont have anything to do with..
Old 09-12-15, 10:20 PM
StockTsi
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, even if you're not part of those circles, there is a lot of influence from these types of articles on the resale value of the car. I tend to keep my cars for 100k miles+ so that's a long way off, but I can easily see someone trying to sell their car in the next several years being told something to the effect of I wouldn't pay that much money for one of the worst cars out there.

Personally, I don't worry too much about the reviews. I love the car in the 2k miles I've had it.
Old 09-13-15, 05:10 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by StockTsi
Unfortunately, even if you're not part of those circles, there is a lot of influence from these types of articles on the resale value of the car. I tend to keep my cars for 100k miles+ so that's a long way off, but I can easily see someone trying to sell their car in the next several years being told something to the effect of I wouldn't pay that much money for one of the worst cars out there.

Personally, I don't worry too much about the reviews. I love the car in the 2k miles I've had it.
I get your point; however we lease our cars, and ususally turn them in early, so resale value never comes into play for us.
I dont care what the "pundits" or experts think about any car we get; If we like it, we get it, if we dont, we dont..just that simple..
Old 09-13-15, 05:45 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koetsu
In this instance, we are not talking about something as prosaic as a choice between an NX and an RX, but rather a CR issue in which they declared the NX "one of the worst for 2015" in print. The difficulty is that CR reviews are often passed on in some circles as gospel (although they have had their share of misjudgments). Combine their pseudo-creditability with a review in which they have so clearly "jumped the shark" and you have a formula for long term vitriol. Heck, they can't seem to arrive at a consistent impression of the NX among themselves. See ...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

Reviewing automobiles is a different kettle of fish than reviewing refrigerators.
"pseudo-creditability"

You're being kind here. It's even worse than that. They're not so hot at appliance reviews either. BTW.
Old 09-13-15, 06:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't think this rating from CR will have any effect on resale of the NX. That is usually effected by ongoing reliability issues and ongoing safety concerns. It's unlikely the NX will have either of them. After the dust settles on this rating, if it hasn't already, and CR starts receiving information from their Owner Surveys I'm sure the NX will be Recommended by them.
Old 09-13-15, 08:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
"pseudo-creditability"

You're being kind here. It's even worse than that. They're not so hot at appliance reviews either. BTW.
I find them to be an excellent source for reviews of all kinds, especially appliances. What's your beef here? I mean, they buy (anonymously) a bunch of, say refrigerators, and test them for energy efficiency, actual usable space, features, etc. and report on that. What's flawed about that?

Now, in the case of the NX reviews, the first one--though not without concerns--did seem to be far better than the more comprehensive one later. That's for sure.
Old 09-13-15, 10:14 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I stopped my subscription to consumer reports quite a while before this came out. I stopped finding their reviews to be useful. They are not basing their initial review on reliability and owner experience. It's just an opinion...same as the car magazines. Didn't they also name the IS as one of the worst cars recently? Nonsense. If I had to guess, they are too overweight to fit comfortably in the IS or NX.

Last edited by Frog98; 09-13-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 10:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I stopped my subscription to consumer reports quite a while before this came out. I stopped finding their reviews to be useful. They are not basing their initial review on reliability and owner experience. It's just an opinion...same as the car magazines. Didn't they also name the IS as one of the worst cars recently? Nonsense. If I had to guess, they are too overweight to fit comfortably in the IS or NX.
It was the IS250 they didn't care for. They said the 350 "is a much better choice."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015