NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 07:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

and this comment wasn't an insult?

"NX cool. Old RX grandpa's car.No brainer for most whose brain function still works."

That opinion was an insult to me and many other RX owners here.
Old 09-05-15, 07:57 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not going to post further about this; I'm pretty sure the gendarmerie will be here soon to delete everything and admonish a bunch of people.
Old 09-05-15, 09:16 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
We just recently got a 2015 RX after strongly considering the NX. I just don't get it really...the NX is smaller but is the same price and same fuel economy (when factoring in the need for premium fuel in the NX). It makes no sense really. That being said, I suspect this is a temporary window and when the NEW 2016 RX comes out, it will be larger and more costly. Although the fuel economy is supposed to be the same. I get it that some want a "smaller more nimble" car. But generally in America we buy cars by the pound. Same fuel, same cost....bigger car... a no brainer for most.
I purchased an NX200t (Lux) after owning and enjoying a 2011 RX350 for about 5 years. If one does not require the extra space, the NX has its charms. YMMV, but personally I have no desire to go back.

Getting back, however, to the initial topic ...

One can not help but be struck by the difference in both tone and content in CR's reviews, as posted last March and the one published in their latest issue. See,

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

Their concerns are addressed with some balance in the March commentary while the new published review is downright sophomoric. The earlier commentary gives no hint of 'one of the worst of 2015' to come. I did consult CR earlier and to say that their rather surprising change in heart and snarky copy indicates more to me about their lapse in professionalism than it does about the NX. Funny thing, with a 74 rating and if the frequency of repair rating and owner satisfaction are high enough (a likely outcome based upon both past Lexus history and my excellent sample), they will have to recommend the NX if they are to be in any way consistent in their practices.

Enjoy your weekend and your NX.

Last edited by Koetsu; 09-05-15 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Modify content.
Old 09-05-15, 09:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I'm not going to post further about this; I'm pretty sure the gendarmerie will be here soon to delete everything and admonish a bunch of people.
Smart move and one that others need to follow suit. Ignore the bait.

The RX is a FANTASTIC vehicle and for buyers of all ages as you see here and easily a stronger value proposition these days over the NX. If a handful of CR reviewers feels so strongly against the NX, so be it. The masses think otherwise.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9169529
Old 09-09-15, 01:07 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see how CR can rate the NX low because it's a first year production model it has alot of flaws.

Lexus should work out all the quality issues by the time they do a refresh.
Old 09-09-15, 04:17 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
This is the general consensus when people do no like what CR says.

It's a consumer magazine, so they review vehicles from a different perspective. I would not call them a joke.

Do I agree with what they wrote? Well, I still love my NX. I do believe the interior is cheap, but that is the only thing I agree with. The roads are really smooth where I drive, so I have not experienced the jostling ride they reference (as some others here have posted). Also, I think the NX handles very well for the way I drive. I haven't experienced the 'extreme' torque steer that some here have complained about...so, it suits me just fine. I understand there are other vehicles in this class that handle better.
No, them disliking my NX has nothing to do with me still thinking they are complete trash. CR has proven time and time again that several car companies are paying them on the side. Some of the reviews are just "too" good to be true.
Old 09-09-15, 06:42 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
No, them disliking my NX has nothing to do with me still thinking they are complete trash. CR has proven time and time again that several car companies are paying them on the side. Some of the reviews are just "too" good to be true.
Swacie, as a near lifelong reader/subscriber to CR, I find your accusation that they accept payola from anyone to be irresponsible, even bordering on libelous. CR's entire credibility rests upon their impartiality, and the merest hint of impropriety in this regard would destroy their brand immediately and irreparably. Sour grapes, dude.

Now, if we were talking about any of the "auto enthusiast" magazines, I could see it, as the promise of a multi-million dollar ad campaign might be a strong motivator. But I don't accuse such, as I can't back it up.
Old 09-09-15, 08:19 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm starting to think I should have bought a lottery ticket on my way home from buying my NX. Nothing is wrong with mine, guess I really got lucky!!!
Old 09-09-15, 11:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I can see how CR can rate the NX low because it's a first year production model it has alot of flaws.

Lexus should work out all the quality issues by the time they do a refresh.
HUH????
Old 09-09-15, 11:38 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Swacie, as a near lifelong reader/subscriber to CR, I find your accusation that they accept payola from anyone to be irresponsible, even bordering on libelous. .
You probably believe that every politician is trustworthy too, huh? Because it would be crazy for them to have their hands deep into something dirty that benefited them finanically...

Why is CR any different?

Last edited by Swacer; 09-09-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-09-15, 12:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Does this mean that Toyota/Lexus is paying them off too? Top or near the top ratings for Camry (gas and hybrid), Highlander (gas and hybrid), Lexus LS & RX (both have been up there for years) etc. won't come cheap in your scenario. Personally I don't buy it but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Their rating on the NX was over the top, but a separate issue IMO.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-09-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 12:53 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
You probably believe that every politician is trustworthy too, huh? Because it would be crazy for them to have their hands deep into something dirty that benefited them finanically...

Why is CR any different?
My glass is half full. Sorry about yours.
Old 09-09-15, 06:10 PM
Motorworx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rely more on what people think than any magazine. Kind of like when the critics hate a movie, but it's a box-office hit...it's probably worth seeing?

They had to open a second line for production, as the waiting list for this vehicle was so long. When I ordered the NX, it was a 9 month backorder. People who have bought them here love them.

I agree about the harsh ride, but I bought an F-Sport, and was ready for it...test drove both, extensively. Cheap interior? LOL. Maybe the US model is different, but if anything has a cheap and plastic-riddled interior, it's an X3. They certainly are more expensive here. The 300h F-Sport with all of the upgrades from the L package came to about $60,000. Once again, maybe the US is different, but at five years old, BMW's and MB aren't worth spit compared to anything Lexus...or Toyota for that matter.

Cheers.
Old 09-09-15, 07:05 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think RX is not the best CUV/SUV (or whatever it is nowadays), but it definitely no where close to being the worst cars of 2015.
Old 09-10-15, 06:59 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind that CR's opinion of the Lexus NX is just that... thier opinion. Though it is clear that CR did not like the NX F-sport that they reviewed, it is only ONE of many reviews of the NX. The majority of the other reviews are positive for the Lexus NX.

US News compiles a ranking based on published reviews and test drives of the Lexus NX.

According to their analysis, the 2015 Lexus NX 200t ranks #2 of 15 Luxury Compact SUV's.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ucks/Lexus_NX/

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015