Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 02:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
As well you should.

Some of you here appear to believe that I do not know how CR goes about doing business. Well, I do. I've been reading CR for 50 years. Their tabulation of frequency of repair data, for example, is very useful and is compiled in a dispassionate way. But, to reiterate, their (honest) weighting of attributes in automobiles does not necessarily always align with mine and with my circumstances. As a rational adult, one does not have to slavishly follow all of their recommendations.
It doesn't seem like anyone is saying that you should.

In any case, sales of the NX have been stellar indicating that it appeals to actual consumers. If sales slow or issues arise on this first year model, I'm sure that the Lexus division will take the necessary steps to rectify things. It happens with virtually all new models.
Old 08-28-15, 06:13 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I would agree the touchpad is a mistake. I actually like the touchscreen on the GX. Smart move on the wheel and tire swap. I did the same on my ES...and it rides sooo smooth now. I didn't do that on my NX...maybe should have or should. I'm not saying the NX is perfect...I would like to see Mark Levinson, HUD, aniline leather, and panoramic sunroof. I just think people could do a little better picking out which model of NX they want...like you did with the wheels. They aren't all the same. The F Sport does not have as much luxury and rides rougher. But isn't it supposed to be sporty? People shouldn't expect the RC-F to ride like the LS. And I do like RX's, I've just never seen any that well equipped. I've only seen one with the Luxury package in the last couple of years.
You are right..I was lucky enough to find a 2015 RX that had every option available....HUD, Mark L, Luxury Pack. I love it !! The price tag MSRP 56,000.00. I traded the NX for it, not because the NX was a bad SUV at all....as you mentioned, I did not order due to the wait, so I could have done better and had more of the options available. I came from two loaded Highlanders, so the RX is a better fit, and I should have given more thought to that. I did have the F Sport which does make a difference as well. It's not suppose to be as cushioned with it's ride. I think the NX is a great smaller SUV or CUV, and it will continue to do great IMO. I did have an issue with the NX in the first month, as the rear differential had to be replaced. The fact that Lexus took care of it right away, and the customer satisfaction that I got was proof enough that I didn't want to buy other than Lexus again. I feel customer service and reliability with Lexus is hard to beat !

Last edited by RDLGX; 08-28-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-28-15, 08:14 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It doesn't seem like anyone is saying that you should......
Although it did not evidently come across as such, it was intended tongue in cheek.
Old 08-29-15, 04:23 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Here's the summary page. It's in the same pack as the Chrysler 200 and Kia Sedona.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...2015/index.htm

Take this with the tiniest grain of salt and remember the automotive professionals have highly rated the NX contradicting CR on quality and ride, even winning direct comparisons.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

MOTORTREND - At the other end of the field, the NX 200t was praised for its smooth ride despite bearing the F Sport suspension. Chieftain Ed Loh detected a finely honed ride/handling equilibrium and said the Lexus' "ride quality is pretty good but definitely biased more toward sporty."
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3UZaDeEs9
MOTORTREND - This leaves us the NX 200t F Sport. It comes well-dressed at the lowest as-tested price, with good cost of ownership and high marks for driving experience, cabin and leather quality, ride and handling balance, efficiency, and safety.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz3kCWjcUdD

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-29-15 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 11:25 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
You are right..I was lucky enough to find a 2015 RX that had every option available....HUD, Mark L, Luxury Pack. I love it !! The price tag MSRP 56,000.00. I traded the NX for it, not because the NX was a bad SUV at all....as you mentioned, I did not order due to the wait, so I could have done better and had more of the options available. I came from two loaded Highlanders, so the RX is a better fit, and I should have given more thought to that. I did have the F Sport which does make a difference as well. It's not suppose to be as cushioned with it's ride. I think the NX is a great smaller SUV or CUV, and it will continue to do great IMO. I did have an issue with the NX in the first month, as the rear differential had to be replaced. The fact that Lexus took care of it right away, and the customer satisfaction that I got was proof enough that I didn't want to buy other than Lexus again. I feel customer service and reliability with Lexus is hard to beat !
You got a nice RX there Ronn! Really Nice! I got lucky on my NX and got a demo from the Lexus training center with about every factory option. My GX was a certified used with 9000 miles on it that was a Lexus Executive car from Lexus HQ in CA...so it had all the custom order options. The ES I had to get my dealer to trade a dealer in AZ to get the colors and features I was looking for. So I've been lucky finding what I wanted...and not had to wait for a customer order. And Ronn...totally agree...you can't beat Lexus service and reliability! My GX got an oil leak in the front engine cover...they fixed it in 2 days! Traded a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for the NX. It is nice to finally have an all Lexus Garage. Think we will keep what we have for a while now...unless I can't resist the 2016 RX

Last edited by Frog98; 08-29-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 09:17 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone should see that, especially Lexus. Then the price would drop
Old 09-05-15, 04:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

We just recently got a 2015 RX after strongly considering the NX. I just don't get it really...the NX is smaller but is the same price and same fuel economy (when factoring in the need for premium fuel in the NX). It makes no sense really. That being said, I suspect this is a temporary window and when the NEW 2016 RX comes out, it will be larger and more costly. Although the fuel economy is supposed to be the same. I get it that some want a "smaller more nimble" car. But generally in America we buy cars by the pound. Same fuel, same cost....bigger car... a no brainer for most.
Old 09-05-15, 04:26 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
We just recently got a 2015 RX after strongly considering the NX. I just don't get it really...the NX is smaller but is the same price and same fuel economy (when factoring in the need for premium fuel in the NX). It makes no sense really. That being said, I suspect this is a temporary window and when the NEW 2016 RX comes out, it will be larger and more costly. Although the fuel economy is supposed to be the same. I get it that some want a "smaller more nimble" car. But generally in America we buy cars by the pound. Same fuel, same cost....bigger car... a no brainer for most.
NX cool. Old RX grandpa's car. No brainer for most whose brain function still works.
Old 09-05-15, 07:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miop4000
NX cool. Old RX grandpa's car. No brainer for most whose brain function still works.
Lexus is definitely going after a younger demographic with the NX. However, the Lexus brand will draw more than its fair share of the "mature" crowd good brain function or not.
Old 09-05-15, 07:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lexus is definitely going after a younger demographic with the NX. However, the Lexus brand will draw more than its fair share of the "mature" crowd good brain function or not.

We know what demographic group that he is a member.
Old 09-05-15, 07:19 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

We know what demographic group that he is a member.
That's what I love about this place so much :sarcasm:. As long as you go with the flow and don't question the enthusiasts' opinions, you're in like Flynn. But post a criticism and the butthurt babies rear their heads with whatever convenient insult lay nearby.

Grow up, y'all.
Old 09-05-15, 07:26 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by daryll40
Daryll, for me there is more to choosing a car than "size for the money". I, for instance, wanted something smaller than an RX-sized car, but still in the "luxury segment", if you will. I wanted good gas mileage (by my standard), but not "as big as I can get with the same MPG". I liked the look of the NX. I liked the features I chose. I liked that I'd be one of the first to own it. I liked my dealer and the dealership.

Indeed, the new RX will add a dimension to this comparison. But I don't consider cars that - at the time - are a year from release.

I appreciate your comments, and I'm sure you're not alone in them. I'm just not in the same camp.
Old 09-05-15, 07:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-05-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 07:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
That's what I love about this place so much :sarcasm:. As long as you go with the flow and don't question the enthusiasts' opinions, you're in like Flynn. But post a criticism and the butthurt babies rear their heads with whatever convenient insult lay nearby.

Grow up, y'all.
He had an "enthusiasts opinion" and other enthusiasts have them too.
Old 09-05-15, 07:48 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

He had an "enthusiasts opinion" and other enthusiasts have them too.
Bob, his "enthusiast's opinion" didn't include insults; the responses did. Big difference.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Picks NX as one of Worst Cars of 2015