NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 10:08 AM
gwhay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System

While probably common to most Lexus model navigation systems (not on just the NX models), I came across something yesterday that really shocked me. The voice providing directions uses O (Oh) instead of 0 (zero). For example, the voice directed me to depart the freeway at exit Two Oh Three (2O3) not Two Zero Three (203). Potentially, very confusing. I can't imagine the rational for this. Some engineer and their manger(s) were really asleep at the wheel (so to speak) when they let this slip by.
Oh, by the way, the navigation system and related voice commands are extraordinarily user UNFRIENDLY in my opinion.
Old 08-24-15, 05:06 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I didnt notice that it says "Oh" instead of "Zero". What I did notice is that there are way too many steps to get anything done via voice command. Granted this is our first Toyota/Lexus product and I am used to the Nav system in my wife's previous car and my so simple to use Garmin system. I just wish Lexus would reduce the amount of "steps" required to get anything done via Voice command.
Old 08-24-15, 05:40 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While reading a post on the internet, I found something that really shocked me. A person was saying something about driving on the freeway and said "depart the freeway at an exit" instead to "exit the freeway". That really confused me, but then again I am really easily confused. /jk

I wonder is there is an option to change the language setting from US English to Canadian or UK English? Those blokes do have a different way to talking. Heh? Wouldn't ZZ Top sound awful as "Zed Zed Top"?

I did get part about how extraordinarily user unfriendly the navigation system and related voice commands were though.

Oh and welcome to CL. We are a really convivial bunch, and while we may poke some fun at one another from time to time, we all want to share and get as much out of our cars as we can.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-24-15 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-24-15, 05:45 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The O vs zero does not bother us. We are having trouble adjusting to the NAV systems commands. I don't know if it's us or the system. We also are having trouble with the touch pad. It is way too sensitive and hard to use. Is the sensitivity adjustable?
Old 08-24-15, 06:15 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The other thing we noticed is that it does not tell us to "exit", it says that exit XXX is on the right, it does not tell us to use it even tho it is the exit we need to take.
Old 08-24-15, 06:18 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olgzr
The O vs zero does not bother us. We are having trouble adjusting to the NAV systems commands. I don't know if it's us or the system. We also are having trouble with the touch pad. It is way too sensitive and hard to use. Is the sensitivity adjustable?
Yes sensitivity and force feedback is adjustable through the menus. There is a way to "train" the navigation system to your voice but it's tedious.

The navigation system uses a passive voice, and actions are inferred. You asked for directions to a destination, not for direction in a literal sense..

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-24-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 03:47 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gwhay
While probably common to most Lexus model navigation systems (not on just the NX models), I came across something yesterday that really shocked me. The voice providing directions uses O (Oh) instead of 0 (zero). For example, the voice directed me to depart the freeway at exit Two Oh Three (2O3) not Two Zero Three (203). Potentially, very confusing. I can't imagine the rational for this. Some engineer and their manger(s) were really asleep at the wheel (so to speak) when they let this slip by.
I can't say I personally know of a single exit on a US highway/freeway/interstate that I've driven in (42 states and counting) that has an actual "O" (Oh) in it. I would have never even noticed this. I see no confusion in this whatsoever.
Old 08-30-15, 12:36 PM
MoJ
Driver School Candidate

Now that I've had a 1,300 mile road trip and a week to really dive into the nav... here's my take-away:

1. Lexus nav is far superior to my old Acura nav in almost every way - voice recognition, display quality, POIs, Setting up eDestinations and downloading them is really handy! There are a few things I would like to change - or maybe learn that I'm missing a setting somewhere (see below)

2. I usually kept my iPhone w/Waze running alongside the NX nav ... for the most part, NX did a good job, but Waze "felt" a little more accurate getting around traffic jams with faster and better suggested detours. Not a surprise - Waze is crowd-source data and close to instant vs. commercial data that is usually slightly delayed.

3. The "pop-up" screen indicating an upcoming turn comes on too close to the turn - especially when on a 8-lane freeway in the HOV lane and you only get the next-turn pop-up at 1 mile out. I'm used to 2 miles. Solution is to either keep the display in multi-window (left overview, right next turn) and/or keep next-turn in the mini window behind the steering wheel. WISH: ability to set the trigger time/miles for the pop-up window

4. Auto-zoom in/out ... maybe I'm missing this setting, but I couldn't find it. I want the map to zoom in and out based on speed (faster speed, zoom out... slower speed, zoom in). Acura nav (and every other map software I've used - Google, Apple, Waze) does that.

4. Voice recognition is good - but still a PITA. First, it does take a lot of time/effort to get to a POI (while "go home" is very quick!). However - and this was a big deal to me on this road trip - it DOES NOT DO A GOOD JOB hearing/understanding commands from the passenger. Since I was the "navigating passenger" for some parts of the tip, that left me completely unable to do anything - locked out from entering anything via the menus and not able to have the voice recognition understand me clearly enough (short of putting my face at the mic - definitely NOT a safe thing to do!). I ended up using Waze on my iPhone for those times. Solution: installing VAIStech nav un-blocker on Tuesday and will report back how well that works.

Cheers, mj
Old 08-30-15, 12:44 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One can train the voice activation system to learn one's mode of speech. The system will prompt the user to say 10 phrases, the results of which are stored in the system. Doing this does improve the operation of the voice recognition. Lowering the music playback level helps, too.
Old 09-01-15, 12:48 AM
akkidy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D4V1D
I can't say I personally know of a single exit on a US highway/freeway/interstate that I've driven in (42 states and counting) that has an actual "O" (Oh) in it. I would have never even noticed this. I see no confusion in this whatsoever.
The oh works for me. I always thought most freeways in the US are read with oh and not zero for three digit numbers with zero in the middle. In Los Angeles, it's one oh one, one oh five, four oh five, six oh five freeway.
Old 09-01-15, 06:28 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akkidy
The oh works for me. I always thought most freeways in the US are read with oh and not zero for three digit numbers with zero in the middle. In Los Angeles, it's one oh one, one oh five, four oh five, six oh five freeway.
I agree, I lived in LA for many years before moving to Houston. I dont think I have ever heard any one refer to the 405 Fwy as "four-zero-five".
Old 09-01-15, 08:12 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
I agree, I lived in LA for many years before moving to Houston. I dont think I have ever heard any one refer to the 405 Fwy as "four-zero-five".
Not to sound too sarcastic, but this was coming from the OP who also mentioned that he "departed the freeway". RIP