NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lock the car when the engine is on when i make a quick run to the store.

Old 08-21-15, 12:21 PM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lock the car when the engine is on when i make a quick run to the store.

From time to time, i need to make a quick run to the store and would like to lock the car while it is on. My mom is in the car will feel safer that way. Is there any way to do that? The reason i leave it on cause i need to have AC on. If i leave the key fob with her she still can't lock it since she sits in the back seat.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-15, 01:37 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the key fob is in the car does it not allow you to lock the car when the fob is inside? If you can lock the car with the fob inside then you could have the second fob with you to allow smart access.

I haven't tried this, just a suggestion of you haven't already tried it.
Old 08-21-15, 08:00 PM
mwl7698
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mom is in the car, could she not just lock the door when you get out? Just an option.
Old 08-21-15, 11:38 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the fob is in the car and u try to lock the door through smart key access(handle), it will beeps and wont lock the door
Old 08-22-15, 08:46 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Shut it off, exit then restart it with the Lexus Enform Remote. Note: using the key fob by pressing lock three (3) times, holding the 3rd will work much faster (5 seconds) than using the LER phone app (30 seconds).
Old 08-24-15, 05:16 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We do this all the time. We'll stop by a store and either my wife or I will wait in the car.
With the car on, just leave the FOB in the car and the person in the car will "Manually" lock the door via lock button on the door. When you return to the car, the person waiting in the car will unlock the door using same steps.

If the passenger can't lock from the back seats then have her either reach over to the front door (either side) to lock the doors OR have her sit on the front passenger seat.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 08-24-15 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 04:59 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mwl7698
If mom is in the car, could she not just lock the door when you get out? Just an option.
You can't lock it from the back seat. My mom is old and is not that flexible to crawl up to lock it from the front seats.
Old 08-25-15, 05:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tommytqt
You can't lock it from the back seat. My mom is old and is not that flexible to crawl up to lock it from the front seats.
How about having her ride in the front passenger seat when it's just the two of you?
Old 08-25-15, 06:28 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How about having her ride in the front passenger seat when it's just the two of you?
If that's the case, I wouldn't ask any advises from you all.
Old 08-25-15, 06:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good luck to you and your mom. Hope things work out.
Old 08-25-15, 11:23 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry Tommytqt, but I think Bob's question is a valid one and not intended to be insensitive. If your Mom is sitting in the passenger seat, she can easily lock and unlock the doors herself. What are we missing?
Old 08-25-15, 11:33 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
I'm sorry Tommytqt, but I think Bob's question is a valid one and not intended to be insensitive. If your Mom is sitting in the passenger seat, she can easily lock and unlock the doors herself. What are we missing?
Sorry everyone for the confusion. My mom is old and she can only sit in the back. She can't handle things moving fast in front of her. I know we can lock the car from either one of the front seat but it's not the case here. I was just hoping there's a way to do so so i can feel safer everytime she's in it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-15, 12:01 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

IF you have long arms...roll down the back window, get out, close the door, reach over and lock it, then have your mom roll up the window

otherwise, take the physical key off the keyfob, give the FOB to your mom, open the door and get out

while the door is open, use the key to lock the doors (it won't auto unlock like when you push the lock button on the door)

then close the door

when you get back, use the physical key again to unlock
Old 08-27-15, 10:40 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best option is to leave the key fob in the car with your mom. If you take the key fob, a very annoying chime continuously rings and dings inside the NX because the motor is on and the key is not detected.

You can try this: I have done it before

put the NX in park
doors should be locked
open your driver door (depending on your settings, all 4 doors will unlock - my settings only unlock driver door)
with the door open, pull out the silver "inside door handle", and push the manual lock thing to lock.
close the door

You are going to hear beeps outside as you walk away, and the ding dongs inside the vehicle will drive your mom absolutely crazy until you get back (because you are taking the keyfob with you).

I did the above (once) while my mom visiting from out of town was staying in the NX while I ran in real quick andit turned out to be longer than I thought -when I got back she said "dont ever leave me in here again without the keyfob."

Last edited by cb80923; 08-27-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 07:23 AM
tommytqt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cb80923
Your best option is to leave the key fob in the car with your mom. If you take the key fob, a very annoying chime continuously rings and dings inside the NX because the motor is on and the key is not detected.

You can try this: I have done it before

put the NX in park
doors should be locked
open your driver door (depending on your settings, all 4 doors will unlock - my settings only unlock driver door)
with the door open, pull out the silver "inside door handle", and push the manual lock thing to lock.
close the door

You are going to hear beeps outside as you walk away, and the ding dongs inside the vehicle will drive your mom absolutely crazy until you get back (because you are taking the keyfob with you).

I did the above (once) while my mom visiting from out of town was staying in the NX while I ran in real quick andit turned out to be longer than I thought -when I got back she said "dont ever leave me in here again without the keyfob."

Thanks much for the advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lock the car when the engine is on when i make a quick run to the store.