NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Foggy windshield doesn't clear up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 05:46 AM
Cfactor
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Foggy windshield doesn't clear up!

I hope there's a simple solution to this but I have yet to find it. I searched around and tried the quick remedies with no avail unfortunately. Just wondering if others have the same issue or not.

Lately I have been seeing fog on the windshield when driving around the front.

Starts off like this. And gets worse.

I have the defroster button (which I hope is the button on the top left of the climate control panel).
I have the a/c button on.
The temp inside the car is set to 21 C (outside is 23 C). (I'm in Ontario, Canada)
The A/C button is enabled.
I have the blowers set to defrost and blow air to the bottom ducts.
None of the above seems to get rid of it. If anything, it makes it worse.

Turning on the wipers gets rid of it momentarily but it's back in a few seconds. Pretty frustrating at this point.
Attached Thumbnails Foggy windshield doesn't clear up!-img_1900.jpg   Foggy windshield doesn't clear up!-img_1901.jpg  
Old 08-20-15, 05:55 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cfactor
I hope there's a simple solution to this but I have yet to find it. I searched around and tried the quick remedies with no avail unfortunately. Just wondering if others have the same issue or not.

Lately I have been seeing fog on the windshield when driving around the front.

Starts off like this. And gets worse.

I have the defroster button (which I hope is the button on the top left of the climate control panel).
I have the a/c button on.
The temp inside the car is set to 21 C (outside is 23 C). (I'm in Ontario, Canada)
The A/C button is enabled.
I have the blowers set to defrost and blow air to the bottom ducts.
None of the above seems to get rid of it. If anything, it makes it worse.

Turning on the wipers gets rid of it momentarily but it's back in a few seconds. Pretty frustrating at this point.
If that condensation is on the outside of the window, as you indicate, then that means the temperature of the window surface is lower than the dewpoint of the outside air. You'll need to use heat to raise the temperature of the glass in order to prevent the condensation.
Old 08-20-15, 07:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
If that condensation is on the outside of the window, as you indicate, then that means the temperature of the window surface is lower than the dewpoint of the outside air. You'll need to use heat to raise the temperature of the glass in order to prevent the condensation.
+1

I have this issue every morning when driving to work because I work down in a valley near a river. Look on your weather app for what the dewpoint is. Match that temperature and the condensation will go away slowly.
Old 08-20-15, 07:52 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

The Auto setting for climate control biases the AC to run on recirculate mode, if you turn off the AC, it ventilation still stays in recirculate mode, creating more condensation inside the cabin.

I set my default AC ventilation mode to "manual" so it stays as I set it, and I get to adjust when to use fresh air or recirculate mode to control the level of moisture vs temperature within the cabin. To deal with outside condensation, you need to equalize the windshield temperature.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-20-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-20-15, 07:52 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Or just turn off the airflow to the windshield.
Old 08-20-15, 08:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
Not true, your body heat will also do it.
Old 08-20-15, 08:38 AM
Cfactor
Driver School Candidate

How do I turn off airflow to windshield only? I see the option to either use the top ducts or bottom ducts, but nothing windshield specific.
Old 08-20-15, 08:42 AM
Cfactor
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. That makes sense. It's been a warm couple of weeks and it would be nice to use the A/C and stay cool but I guess you can't win everything.

I will try the temperature equalizing method.
Old 08-20-15, 02:34 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
Not true, your body heat will also do it.
We are talking about condensation on the outside are we not? It is the cooler air that is blowing on the windshield that is reducing the temperature of the windshield. Which when combined with moist air outside and you get condensation on the outside. Exactly like what happens when you take a cold beer out of the fridge.

I'm not sure how body heat is having any impact on the outside condensation problem identified by the OP. Inside condensation, yes, outside no.
Old 08-21-15, 03:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

We are talking about condensation on the outside are we not? It is the cooler air that is blowing on the windshield that is reducing the temperature of the windshield. Which when combined with moist air outside and you get condensation on the outside. Exactly like what happens when you take a cold beer out of the fridge.

I'm not sure how body heat is having any impact on the outside condensation problem identified by the OP. Inside condensation, yes, outside no.
Good point. Wasn't thinking. Carry on.
Old 08-29-15, 10:09 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or use your wipers.