NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Green valve stem caps missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 12:10 PM
kchnew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green valve stem caps missing

I have two green valve stem caps missing on passenger side of my NX. Don't know if they were missing from the beginning or some kids took them.

Should I get the OEM caps (I am assuming they are metal) or to get the non-OEM plastic ones to avoid the potential corrosion problem? any TPMS issue? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-12-15, 05:33 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think theres any issue with mismatched valve stem caps, unless you're a fashion **** or something. Lol....
Old 08-12-15, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Get any caps you like, no issues. I got Lexus caps on my past RX and current IS, but I went cheap with the IS ones and they rusted.

Old 08-13-15, 02:51 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

take it in and see if the service department would replace them for free.
Old 08-13-15, 10:31 AM
kchnew
Driver School Candidate

@corradoMR2, are the caps shown in your post for IS metal based?

I called 2 dealership in my area, the one closer to me wanted to charge $10, which is okay. But the other one that I got my NX from promised to mail some plastic ones for free. I really appreciate their effort.
Old 08-13-15, 12:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kchnew
@corradoMR2, are the caps shown in your post for IS metal based?

I called 2 dealership in my area, the one closer to me wanted to charge $10, which is okay. But the other one that I got my NX from promised to mail some plastic ones for free. I really appreciate their effort.

Yes, they're metal and you can get them on amazon, ebay, etc. I understand there are claims that metal caps may interfere with the TPMS, but I never had any issues with the RX nor IS in that regard.

If you want to be safe, there are chrome plated plastic caps like this if you want these, if not just get the plain ones from your dealer. Personally, I wouldn't pay 10$ to the dealer for them since they just add one for free on your next service if you ask.
Old 08-13-15, 04:47 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The caps that came on my NX are chrome plastic with green letters---N2. Are those standard?
Old 08-15-15, 07:12 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all!

I was told the green caps are on only during transport to the respective dealer, but are then replaced with the metal (no logo) caps. That's what I've got on mine. Maybe dealer-specific?

Best!
dCota
Old 08-15-15, 08:23 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The caps that came on my NX are chrome plastic with green letters---N2. Are those standard?
those mean the dealership put in NITROGEN in the tires....
Old 08-15-15, 10:56 AM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Default Nitro

If they were filled with nitro, we should not see such a difference between cold and hot tire temp.!!!
Or am I wrong, 33-38
Old 08-15-15, 07:06 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
take it in and see if the service department would replace them for free.
I asked the dealer for the OEM caps back (which are metal colored plastic) and got 4 free. Those plastic caps are ugly in my opinion.

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
those mean the dealership put in NITROGEN in the tires....
Correct. I opted out of this in my build, but my dealer includes this in the PDI for all their units. My argument, air is 78% nitrogen and I'm not landing a Boeing 777.
Old 08-31-15, 11:11 AM
jeffdawgfa
Driver School Candidate

Metal caps will not interfere with your TPMS. The green plastic just means that (supposedly) they put 100% N2 in your tire. This is supposed to keep the air from migrating out as fast as regular (atmospheric air). Pure nitrogen for auto tires is a gimmick. A way for dealers/service shops to suck your hard-earned dollars from you. Think about it. The air you breathe is around 70% Nitrogen. When they mount your new tire do they do it in a room filled with pure N2? No. They do it in the shop so before they pressurize the tire, it is already filled with regular air. Air pressure at sea pressure is around 14.5 psi or something like that. IF they then pressurize your tire with N2 to 36 psi, you still are far from 100% N2 in the tire. The regular air is still in there.'

The reason they put nitrogen in airplane and space shuttle tires it to prevent the things from exploding. When a jet lands those tires go from 0mph to almost two hundred mph. That rapid acceleration generates a whole lot of heat. If you add HEAT+OXYGEN (in regular air)+Petroleum (RUBBER TIRES ARE PETROLEUM PRODUCT) then your are setting yourself up for a possible explosion in the tire. The N2 there can help to minimize that potential. Your car tires do not see that type of stress. Save your money. Don't let them sucker you into using nitrogen.
Old 11-20-19, 10:01 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Valve Stem Bling Plastic caps don't corrode ... are not something anyone wants to steal ... weigh close to nothing ... and are close to free.
Old 11-20-19, 10:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts

Old 11-21-19, 06:00 AM
ACP84
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

picked these up for NX...Like them because its plastic and wont cause corrosion in the winter...plus they look NICEEEEE

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Green valve stem caps missing