NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Any NX owners perhaps switching to new RX ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 04:54 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Any NX owners perhaps switching to new RX ?

Just curious how happy everyone is with their NX ? Like me, it is a great size and lots of fun with great looks, but I might just need to try the new RX as well. The fact that you can get all the tech features at a cheaper package, it is worth a look to me. Of course we have to see it and drive it too, but what are your thoughts on the looks as we see with current pics ? How many of you are satisfied with your NX enough not to give the RX a thought ? What about new Acura RDX...thoughts on that as well ?
Thought this might be an interesting thread to discuss. Have at it
Old 07-24-15, 05:38 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We replaced our 2014 Acura RDX Tech with a 2015 Lexus NX F-Sport. Our RDX was totaled in an accident and we were originally looking at replacing it with either a MDX Tech or a RDX Advance. After test driving both we took the MDX off the list as we live in the city and it was too much CUV for us. The RDX was the front runner.

We test drove the Q5 and X3. Nice driving cars but being that they were both at the end of their model cycle passed on them. Then we test drove the NX and liked it a lot. Test drove again a 2nd time and the NX shot up to the top of the list with the RDX.

We knew the new RX was coming out soon but as with the MDX decided that a compact CUV was a better fit for us. The 2016 RDX Advance is a great value as it has a V6, all the safety tech, ventilated seats, and auto wipers. But the styling was kinda vanilla and since we had a 2014 a bit too familiar. A similar priced Lexus NX F-Sport was not as feature rich but to us had a very sporty look inside and out and it gave us the excitement of a brand new car.

We have had the NX a little over 2 weeks now and very happy with it. It is such a sharping looking car.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 07-24-15 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 06:02 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I've had three RXs and with every passing one, I felt it got bigger to the point where my last one, 2013 RX F Sport, was the "largest" I'd go at close to 188" length.

The unfortunate thing for me with the upcoming 4RX is it's too long. At over 192 inches bumper to bumper, for perspective that's the same as the Highlander and less than 1 inch shorter than the MDX. The RX's styling cheats the eye into appearing shorter, but unfortunately, my garage and other parking situations in the city makes it more difficult to not only park but even just opening the rear hatch. For me at that length, I would need maximum interior real-estate per exterior length which is where the Highlander and the MDX shine in this regard with their more box-like (yet conservative) rear end.

Another thing to keep in mind is as we have seen in Europe and based on rumors for N. America, we can expect a more significant price hike than your typical +- 1K for a new gen. Could be as high at the mid 40Ks in the US and mid 50Ks in Canada though Lexus will surely include more standard/better equipment to help justify the price hike.

I can never say never on the 4RX, but it will be a tough sell.

Although I was a Honda/Acura fan for several years (I owned a TL, Integra, Civic, and MDX), they lost their appeal the last 10 years or so with their ultra-bland styling, Honda-resembling interiors, and more toned-down driving dynamics. This aside, the '16 RDX with the much needed AcuraWatch safety system and other new tech, is in my opinion, the best value in this segment with the NX now in second. But since when is dishing out over $40K on a luxury car ever a sensible choice choice, rather a more emotional one?
Old 07-24-15, 08:23 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I fully intended to wait for the 4RX to arrive to replace my 3RX. However, I was growing bored with 3RX and it's boat like performance. My wife was not happy with the size either. Once I was able to test drive the new NX it was a done deal and we didn't want to wait another year for the RX to show up. The size is perfect for us empty nesters and the NX feels like my new sports car even though it's a non F-sport. We couldn't be happier with the NX.

Of course that won't stop me from test driving a new 4RX when they arrive at the dealer. I hope it's all that I'm reading about. But it has 2 things going against it for us, the size and the projected cost. I'm afraid the price of a loaded 4RX will be a lot more than anyone anticipates.
Old 07-24-15, 11:41 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you look at most successful automotive models they all seem to grow with each generation:

RX:
1999 - 180.1 inches long
2004 - 186.2 inches long
2007 - 186.2 inches long
2010 - 187.8 inches long
2016 - 193 - 194 inches long

if you look at other successful models like the ES, Camry, Corolla, RAV 4 , Highlander, Accord, Civic, Maxima, and Altima you will see the same thing. It is a way to get owners to step up with the same vehicle as their need for more space expands.
Old 07-24-15, 11:49 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've had three RXs and with every passing one, I felt it got bigger to the point where my last one, 2013 RX F Sport, was the "largest" I'd go at close to 188" length.

The unfortunate thing for me with the upcoming 4RX is it's too long. At over 192 inches bumper to bumper, for perspective that's the same as the Highlander and less than 1 inch shorter than the MDX. The RX's styling cheats the eye into appearing shorter, but unfortunately, my garage and other parking situations in the city makes it more difficult to not only park but even just opening the rear hatch. For me at that length, I would need maximum interior real-estate per exterior length which is where the Highlander and the MDX shine in this regard with their more box-like (yet conservative) rear end.

Another thing to keep in mind is as we have seen in Europe and based on rumors for N. America, we can expect a more significant price hike than your typical +- 1K for a new gen. Could be as high at the mid 40Ks in the US and mid 50Ks in Canada though Lexus will surely include more standard/better equipment to help justify the price hike.

I can never say never on the 4RX, but it will be a tough sell.

Although I was a Honda/Acura fan for several years (I owned a TL, Integra, Civic, and MDX), they lost their appeal the last 10 years or so with their ultra-bland styling, Honda-resembling interiors, and more toned-down driving dynamics. This aside, the '16 RDX with the much needed AcuraWatch safety system and other new tech, is in my opinion, the best value in this segment with the NX now in second. But since when is dishing out over $40K on a luxury car ever a sensible choice choice, rather a more emotional one?
The NX has been chosen as the best value for a luxury compact SUV (CUV) based on purchase price, resale value and total cost of ownership. If you look at owning a vehicle as a sunk cost, then it's probably better to drive one you can enjoy and justify through unbiased data.

http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/07...d-winners.html
Old 07-24-15, 01:21 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
if you look at most successful automotive models they all seem to grow with each generation:

RX:
1999 - 180.1 inches long
2004 - 186.2 inches long
2007 - 186.2 inches long
2010 - 187.8 inches long
2016 - 193 - 194 inches long

if you look at other successful models like the ES, Camry, Corolla, RAV 4 , Highlander, Accord, Civic, Maxima, and Altima you will see the same thing. It is a way to get owners to step up with the same vehicle as their need for more space expands.
I'm not accepting the notion that bigger is better or as you say a step up. It's a good way to squeeze more money out of a repeat owner though.
I owned the original RX which I thought is the perfect size for me at the time, the NX(183.2) is similar. I also owned '04-'07 Highlanders before the 2008 bloat(188.4). It's now a beefy 191.1. They lost me. It was mainly to squeeze in a third row seat. I don't need one, not everyone's need for space expands especially after your retired. I wonder how large the 4RX xl(TX) or whatever it will be called with the 3rd row will be. HUGE and fuel economy, forget it. I know there are those that don't care about that. I also wonder how many young families will be able to afford the 4RX & TX when prices will be 50-60K or more?

GM just downsized the Camaro didn't they?
Old 07-24-15, 03:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The NX has been chosen as the best value for a luxury compact SUV (CUV) based on purchase price, resale value and total cost of ownership. If you look at owning a vehicle as a sunk cost, then it's probably better to drive one you can enjoy and justify through unbiased data.

http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/07...d-winners.html
2015 MY, yes the NX is a best value among several reviews.

But, 2016 comparo, jury is out though my argument is the RDX is the best value on a specs/tech/$ basis if the 2016 NX is equipped and priced the same as the '15.
Old 07-24-15, 04:47 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2015 MY, yes the NX is a best value among several reviews.

But, 2016 comparo, jury is out though my argument is the RDX is the best value on a specs/tech/$ basis if the 2016 NX is equipped and priced the same as the '15.
I would have agreed on the early Acura's but lately, specially with the 2013/2014 ILX I have to say half an effort. They did a goof job on the TLX, hoping they did the same on the RDX. Acura is suffering the same fate as Infiniti, neglect by the parent companies who don't see that the premium brand deserves premium treatment. This is why Lexus has been able to sustain their premium status. Enough differentiation even when platform sharing.

Back on topic, 2016 will see a big shift, RX will be on par with GL, C5, X5, and MDX in terms of size and features, NX will be on par with X3, RDX and GLC for size and features. Pricing will determine value for dollar, and RDX will probably be the closest to compete with NX as the Germans are slightly more expensive.

BTW: you can negotiate an NX to be as low or close to an RDX with a good rep that can work the stacking to your advantage. A little higher, but close enough that over 4 years, the difference will not be felt.

Last edited by My0gr81; 07-24-15 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 03:58 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded it a 2006 RX330 and have no intentions of going back to an RX now. I plan to keep the NX at least 5-6 years and who knows at that point. I am totally happy with the NX size, storage capacity, looks, performance, and technology is excellent. All of that aside, this vehicle is FUN to drive!!!
Old 07-25-15, 06:45 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Some great post here ! Keep them coming !!
I do agree that the new RDX will be the biggest competition for the NX. I went by the Acura dealership , and they have a loaded 2016 RDX for 44,500. I did not drive it at this time. I haven't done the math, but a loaded F Sport with everything would be around 50, 000. at this point I think ?
While I found the RDX to have some great looks, especially not having the black trim around the wheel arches, it still looks like many other SUV's out there. The interior has the two screen deal, which I didn't really like when I tried a MDX a few years back.
I took a day trip yesterday, and I must say once again how much fun the NX is to drive. I also got 27.5 which is about the best yet with mileage. The thing I love about the NX is there is no other SUV, CUV that looks like it . Heck, in my area of VA, I have yet to see another one, so I feel as though I'm from outter space LOL . I did get very spoiled with my past few SUVs that had more equipment , and I regret not ordering a fully loaded NX. This is my first time with Lexus, and I can say the quality and fit and finish, and CUSTOMER SERVICE will likely keep me a long time Lexus owner. The only drawback is the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away. To compare with Acura, I have never read great news about their customer service. Customer service is of up-most importance to me.
I will just need to decide if I want to trade up for a fully loaded NX, or try out the new RX which is really too big for me.I know I would loose my butt to trade in a 2015 NX right now for a loaded one or RX,RDX. For now I am very happy with what I have. Wonder if the new RX will be as fun to drive as the NX ? The past RX's I have tried have not been .

Last edited by RDLGX; 07-25-15 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-15, 07:29 AM
drifter123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But since when is dishing out over $40K on a luxury car ever a sensible choice choice, rather a more emotional one?
When that luxury car brand happens to be number 1 in the world for long term reliability? I place considerable value on reliability, and the sporty look of the NX is unlike anything else on the market and it’s nice to know Motor Trend ranks it number 1 against BMW X3, Land Rover Range RoverEvoque, Lincoln MKC, and Volvo XC60. Like the saying goes, you have to pay to play.
Old 07-25-15, 01:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

@drifter123. We're saying the same thing. I'm stating that even though on paper the RDX is more powerful, with now the same tech, and at a cheaper price tag, when one signs, the feel of the vehicle and how it makes you feel plays a big part that cannot be shopped on specs alone. For some, it's all about the specs and price. For others like many on this forum, it's about how visually striking and dependable the NX is like no other vehicle in its class (or on the road for that matter).
Old 07-25-15, 02:46 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Agreed corradoMR2 ...@ drifter123 agreed as well.
My point was that when seeing a new loaded RDX for 44K with the fun tech etc. it makes the price appealing to me when you have to pay more for the NX with everything, however, when you consider what might be really cool to have, the NX stands out, the customer service is better, so then what becomes the most important ? I have been spoiled with some options I wasn't able to get on the NX without special ordering which I didn't want to do at this time, so suddenly seeing another such as RDX with all the features might be a bit pleasing..but then I stop and remember Lexus quality, customer service, the looks and fun of driving the NX , and then it becomes scary to even think of something else. Being a first time Lexus owner has been the most wonderful experience I have had, from the quality to the customer service. I guess the bottom line is...this is what really counts. I may trade for another loaded NX later, and I will try the new RX just to see what it is like, and it will be interesting to see what will be standard on it. It's crazy for me to do that, because I don't need that size, but I just love cars..that's my problem LOL I can just about tell you it will be a Lexus from now on, one way or another.

Last edited by RDLGX; 07-25-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 07:29 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

@drifter123. We're saying the same thing. I'm stating that even though on paper the RDX is more powerful, with now the same tech, and at a cheaper price tag, when one signs, the feel of the vehicle and how it makes you feel plays a big part that cannot be shopped on specs alone. For some, it's all about the specs and price. For others like many on this forum, it's about how visually striking and dependable the NX is like no other vehicle in its class (or on the road for that matter).
Absolutely agree. My brother who is frugal thought we were crazy to pick the NX over the 2016 RDX considering that on paper looking at specs and prices the 2016 RDX Advance is the clear winner. More spacious interior, more powerful smooth V6, more features then a similar priced competitor.

However, its the design where the NX blows the RDX away. The NX has a bold look and fresh feel inside and out. The NX is a stunner so we followed our heart on this one.

Quick Reply: Any NX owners perhaps switching to new RX ?